In the history of the NFL there has only been one Shut Down Corner!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Deion Sanders was the best defensive player to ever play the game. It's very close against LT and White, but he is.

No one EVER played corner like that. He literally shut off half the field.

He would DARE QBs into thinking guys were open and they STILL wouldn't throw his way.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Revis island was a shut down cb
He was good, they didn't avoid him.

Careful of semantics here.

Sanders was a bit past his prime w Dallas, and they asked him to play offense also, but no one else literally ever toyed with QBs the way Sanders did.

The Natural

Reaction score
The better question is would you rather have a shutdown corner like Bryon Jones, or a turnover machine corner who took risks like Revis.

Edit: Not saying Jones is a top notch shutdown corner but he definitely held his own, just never took risks and played it safe.
Byron Jones is not a shut down corner. Most overrated player by CZ fans in recent memory.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Deion was the best corner ever to play the game imo and is my favorite player ever

but Darrell green was shutdown as well......
So was Rod woodson

and Mel Blount literally has a rule named after him just so they could open the passing game up

Yup I remember Darrell Green. He was a lock down corner. Just as highly regarded as Deion.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Micheal Haynes was terrific, a more modern player would be Revis.

quickccc

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
i could name some true shutdown coverage CBs, Sanders of course,along with, Mike Haynes, Lester Hayes
- BTW, remember how Lester the Molester Hayes and Mike Haynes totally shutdown that hated " Fun bunch" Charlie Brown and Art Monk in the super bowl ?

But besides being the most flamboyant ,showboating CB, Prime Time had a tremendous knack for " baiting" the QB into thinking that WR he want to
throw to is open...he feint and give so much cushion in front of him that QBs think there's a big opening and the moment he unleashes his throw, Sanders
immediately jumps the route, picks off the ball ....and takes it the other way for a quick six.
i've never seen a CB do that to a science and art the way Deion did that.
That's what further adds to his repertoire as a pure shutdown coverage CB, and the very Best in History of NFL, imo.

i wasn't there back in the old school dayz of Diiccckk Night-Train Lane, Mel Blount or our own Cowboys' Mel Renfro, so i dunno what his return INT for TD skill set was like, .. but i was to see how the the likes of Deion, Lester, Mike Haynes, Darrell Green, etc.

In terms of pure man shut- down coverage, this is MY particular top 10 all time list:
1 Deion Sanders
2 Mike Haynes
3 Darrell Revis
4 Lester Hayes
5 Darrell Green
6 Richard Sherman
7 Rod Woodson
8 Aneas Williams
9 Patrick Peterson
10 Ty Law

Best of the Rest: Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Albert Lewis, Hanford Dixon, Frank Minnifield, Louis Wright, Josh Norman

quickccc

Reaction score
Wow.

Deion was the best corner ever, and Everson couldn't even stand in the same room.

Nobody could beat Deion. He literally got bored and coaches receivers during games on how to run routes. Isaac Bruce says he learned the position during games from Deion.

I didn't like him personally, but he's probably the best player I ever watched other than Jerry Rice.

Walls a true ball hawk, and exceptional at anticipating routes and QBs tendency to jump the ball, and he had the sheer sticky hands to take advantage as such.
but as good as he was at taking the ball away for big plays, he would also give up some catches and big plays as well.
He was a Give some/Take some CB. He wasn't a shutdown CB.

Even the more shifty "serviceable" WRs in his own division, could take him vs coverage such as Pat Tilley, Lionel Manuel. that's probably why Walls is not really in serious consideration as a Hall of Famer ...even though it's still a sheer damn shame (yes you Jerry.. !) that Walls is not at least in consideration
for the Ring of Honor,.. total damn shame !!! :angry:

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
Deion was one of the five best players of all-time regardless of position IMO.

Rice
Deion
LT
Barry Sanders
Anthony Munoz
I’m assuming you are too young to have seen Walter Payton play. Hard to leave him off a list five deep if you are saying all around best football player.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Darrell Green was from Texas A&I. That school, the Javelinas, put quite a few secondary players into the NFL. They were successful at a pretty high level in the professional ranks.

Darrell Green 1st - Washington
Doug Greene 3rd - Cardinals
Dwight Harrison *(played with) 2nd - Denver
Jim Hill 1st - San Diego
Levi Johnson *(played with) 3rd - Detroit
Al Matthews 2d - Green Bay
Eldridge Small *(played with) 1st-Giants
Anthony Phillips 3rd - Atlanta

quickccc

Reaction score

kskboys

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
i could name some true shutdown coverage CBs, Sanders of course,along with, Mike Haynes, Lester Hayes
- BTW, remember how Lester the Molester Hayes and Mike Haynes totally shutdown that hated " Fun bunch" Charlie Brown and Art Monk in the super bowl ?

But besides being the most flamboyant ,showboating CB, Prime Time had a tremendous knack for " baiting" the QB into thinking that WR he want to
throw to is open...he feint and give so much cushion in front of him that QBs think there's a big opening and the moment he unleashes his throw, Sanders
immediately jumps the route, picks off the ball ....and takes it the other way for a quick six.
i've never seen a CB do that to a science and art the way Deion did that.
That's what further adds to his repertoire as a pure shutdown coverage CB, and the very Best in History of NFL, imo.

i wasn't there back in the old school dayz of Diiccckk Night-Train Lane, Mel Blount or our own Cowboys' Mel Renfro, so i dunno what his return INT for TD skill set was like, .. but i was to see how the the likes of Deion, Lester, Mike Haynes, Darrell Green, etc.

In terms of pure man shut- down coverage, this is MY particular top 10 all time list:
1 Deion Sanders
2 Mike Haynes
3 Darrell Revis
4 Lester Hayes
5 Darrell Green
6 Richard Sherman
7 Rod Woodson
8 Aneas Williams
9 Patrick Peterson
10 Ty Law

Best of the Rest: Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Albert Lewis, Hanford Dixon, Frank Minnifield, Louis Wright, Josh Norman
PP better than Champ Bailey? C'moooooooon.

That's some major recency bias.