In the history of the NFL there has only been one Shut Down Corner!

lockster

Reaction score
Disagree overall, Also, are we talking for their whole career or for a certain amount of time.
I will say Deion was probably the most pure cover corner we have seen and better than the ones I list below who also could be considered Best of the Best corners in man coverage.

I could say at times, Peterson, Revis, Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, Ty Law were all top of the game corners who locked down one side of the field. Just some off top of my head
I would add Kevin Smith to this list, until he tore his Achilles tendon. He would also tackle.

TWOK11

Reaction score
I’m assuming you are too young to have seen Walter Payton play. Hard to leave him off a list five deep if you are saying all around best football player.

Walter is a top 3 RB for sure, but I think Barry was better abd I just don’t see Sweetness being as dominant at his position as those others.

I think Rice and LT are close to unanimous as the greatest offensive/defensive players ever. Essentially everyone has them in the top 5 ever.

Deion is nearly unanimously the greatest corner ever, and when you add in his return and receiving abilities I think he has to be on the list.

Munoz is generally regarded as the best OL (certainly the best tackle) ever and arguably dominated his position as much as Rice did his.

All that to say I think Rice/LT/Munoz/Deion are fixtures on that list for me. Then it’s just which of Jim Brown/Barry/Payton was the greatest back to round out the list. I think Barry was the best but there is an argument for any of them.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
from what i remember reading from some where that went back and did analysis on deion there wasnt a huge difference between him and elite corners today or a few years ago when it was written. the idea that deion shut down an entire half of the field and quarterbacks were totaly afraid to even throw at him were like 99% myth. he was elite and for sure a hall of famer but the idea that he was a true shut down corner was not true.
No one shuts down half the field. Think about it. Deon could cover I guy, and basically take him out if the game, but he never took away 1/2 the field. No one player can take away 1/2 the field.

If one player is asked to cover 1/2 the field the other team only needs to send 2 players into that area, one on a fly pattern and 1 on a hitch. How does 1 Corner cover that?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Wow.

Deion was the best corner ever, and Everson couldn't even stand in the same room.

Nobody could beat Deion. He literally got bored and coaches receivers during games on how to run routes. Isaac Bruce says he learned the position during games from Deion.

I didn't like him personally, but he's probably the best player I ever watched other than Jerry Rice.
I think Deon was better than Jerry Rice. I respect the heck out of Jerry Rice for his skill and especially work ethic. Rice was a very talented player with a great work ethic. Deon was an extremely talented player with great work ethic. Maybe not quit Rice’s work ethic, but still great work ethic.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Debatable……………...he is certainly in the conversation.

One thing to keep in mind is the rule changes have really gimped this era of DBs. You cant play the game the way some of the old guys did.

Ronnie Lott would be suspended from the league forever after about 3 games in today's NFL.:laugh:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This was supposed to be a new thread.

Can 1 player cover/ shut down half the field? You see my answer above.
Obviously there have been others in NFL history as has been provided . But the phrase was basically created with Deion. That doesn’t mean the hype surrounding him defines him as the only one.

I’m sure like with any other superlative and subjective description as such everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sanders was definitely one of the best but not the only one. I’d argue there’s ample evidence to support but there’s no convincing some.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Agree or Disagree?

The only Shut Down Corner in the history of the NFL was Deon Sanders!

Can be annoying as a analyst, but one hell of a cover corner!
No doubt he was a shut down corner and I would say he was one of the best to ever play the game. You have to include Green and Revis in there too.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You should get The Playmakers opinion on that.

#21 of Atlanta gets OWNED.

I was at that game, it was great.
Atlanta fans around me were pretty decent though. By the end of the game, they said, dang (substitute for another word) you guys have a really good team.

I think Atlanta went up 10-0, as they were giving us a small amount of crap, then things changed. :D but as I said they were cool about it.

The lady next to me, her church group, yes a church group ran a beer concession stand. She said as long as I had my own cup, in which I did from the 1st beer I bought. She was getting us beers for $1. I think they were $5 regular. Even the metro train ride back to the place we parked were all pretty good.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would add Kevin Smith to this list, until he tore his Achilles tendon. He would also tackle.

Deion liked Kevin Smith and had good things to say about him. But he was also pleased and knew Larry Brown could step up. No, not adding Brown to the list.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No one shuts down half the field. Think about it. Deon could cover I guy, and basically take him out if the game, but he never took away 1/2 the field. No one player can take away 1/2 the field.

If one player is asked to cover 1/2 the field the other team only needs to send 2 players into that area, one on a fly pattern and 1 on a hitch. How does 1 Corner cover that?
Agree, but the scheme sure did, with Deion being the main equation in that scheme.
Didn't hurt having Darren Woodson and Brock Marion playing back there, and Kevin Smith on the other side of Deion, was without a doubt one of this teams greatest assemblage of secondary talent.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always liked this trio from the 2000 draft.

Dwayne Goodrich, Kareem Larrimore, Mario Edwards. :muttley:

I don't think one can say who was the best, but when you consider the best years from Deion was with his 1st 3 teams in Atlanta, SF & Dallas. As where all the others, their major contributions were from one team that had very good to great defense overall in support of their play.

Deion was the difference for SF, along with the refs screwing us on that non call PI on Irvin and other crap. As SF could not get by us the previous NFCCG's and then after he left.

And does anyone think that SB against the Steelers if we would have got that far without Deion, after Kevin Smith was lost to injury. We had Larry Brown, but without Deion how good would he have really been with player X on the other side.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I always liked this trio from the 2000 draft.

Dwayne Goodrich, Kareem Larrimore, Mario Edwards. :muttley:

I don't think one can say who was the best, but when you consider the best years from Deion was with his 1st 3 teams in Atlanta, SF & Dallas. As where all the others, their major contributions were from one team that had very good to great defense overall in support of their play.

Deion was the difference for SF, along with the refs screwing us on that non call PI on Irvin and other crap. As SF could not get by us the previous NFCCG's and then after he left.

And does anyone think that SB against the Steelers if we would have got that far without Deion, after Kevin Smith was lost to injury. We had Larry Brown, but without Deion how good would he have really been with player X on the other side.
Was that the year where we drafted all of them together in that same draft?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deion was the most over-rated corner ever. Give me Everson Walls over the guy who was allergic to tackling.
With all due respect to Everson Walls, you couldn’t be more wrong.

irishline

Reaction score
Yes, I though it was rounds 1, 2 & 3. But looked it up. It was 1, 2 & 4.

3rd round was RB Micheal Wiley out of Ohio State.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/cowboys.html

We didn't have a first round pick that year from the Galloway trade. It was 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

The 1,2, and 3 you are seeing was the order picked not the round. Wiley was a 5th rounder.