In the history of the NFL there has only been one Shut Down Corner!

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
But I heard there was a whole island named after that guy Revis.
Revis had the island but it was on Deion’s planet....

vintage-1996-framed-deion-sanders_1_0eb7b1f78e9deca12a53942443150408.jpg

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Downtown Willie Brown, and unlike Neon Deion he could tackle. In fact he was one of the first cornerbacks to use the bump and run style of play.
He was so good in his day Raider's opponents would often throw to the side Brown Wasn't defending. What a player.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
you are delussional.
It's called 'hype'

And it's called 'branding'.

Deion mastered it and made himself bigger than life.

Having a reputation that preceeds you in any occupation is deasirable.

Attorneys want it, hookers push it..whatever.

Sanders did not like to tackle. We all saw that. But run 60 yds to cover somebody was equally as important than a tackle.

I never cared. I just wanted to see him return a punt. Also him being a WR was always worth the price of admission.

It was the only time Deion was humbled.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It's called 'hype'

And it's called 'branding'.

Deion mastered it and made himself bigger than life.

Having a reputation that preceeds you in any occupation is deasirable.

Attorneys want it, hookers push it..whatever.

Sanders did not like to tackle. We all saw that. But run 60 yds to cover somebody was equally as important than a tackle.

I never cared. I just wanted to see him return a punt. Also him being a WR was always worth the price of admission.

It was the only time Deion was humbled.
yeah, it was just hype, nothing more....lol

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Champ bailey may be the last true cover corner the league has seen. But all those players aint no competition when it comes to sanders.

I disagree, what made Sanders pretty unique was his return skills and multi position flex. He was obviously an excellent cover corner, but if it wasn't for his electrifying big plays we wouldn't be having this discussion. The other guys were great cover guys too, but not the electrifying big play ability. Better tacklers though, lol.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
The thing with Deion is he was a threat to take the ball to the end zone every time he was on the field no matter what side of the ball he was playing.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Disagree overall, Also, are we talking for their whole career or for a certain amount of time.
I will say Deion was probably the most pure cover corner we have seen and better than the ones I list below who also could be considered Best of the Best corners in man coverage.

I could say at times, Peterson, Revis, Champ Bailey, Rod Woodson, Ty Law were all top of the game corners who locked down one side of the field. Just some off top of my head

Champ was good.

But he was more of baiter. Still excellent cover guy.

#DontpayDak

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The thing with Deion is he was a threat to take the ball to the end zone every time he was on the field no matter what side of the ball he was playing.
Who introduced Deion in the Hall of Fame?

What uni is he wearing in his cubical there?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Who introduced Deion in the Hall of Fame?

What uni is he wearing in his cubical there?

I’ve never actually been but I don’t think the players wear uniforms in the football hall of fame like they wear caps in the baseball hall of fame. I think they just go in. I’m not sure which of the five teams Deion would be associated with if they did. I’d say either Atlanta who drafted him or San Fran or Dallas where he won championships. Washington and Baltimore were largely forgettable stops for him. If it were up to me I would make him a Falcon.

I am not sure who introduced him. Was it that vampire Author Blank?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I’ve never actually been but I don’t think the players wear uniforms in the football hall of fame like they wear caps in the baseball hall of fame. I think they just go in. I’m not sure which of the five teams Deion would be associated with if they did. I’d say either Atlanta who drafted him or San Fran or Dallas where he won championships. Washington and Baltimore were largely forgettable stops for him. If it were up to me I would make him a Falcon.

I am not sure who introduced him. Was it that vampire Author Blank?
I guess it wasn't memorable.

If we know Deion..

he introduced himself to himself.

:laugh:

plasticman

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Hall of Famer Mel Renfro was.a shutdown corner.

They stopped throwing to his side, to the detriment of new starting CB Charlie Waters. Charlie took a lot of grief before being converted to a safety. That happened when the Cowboys traded for another Hall of Famer, Herb Adderly. This also resulted in their first two Super Bowl appearences

Like Deion, Mel Renfro was also a punt returner, made it to the Pro Bowl his rookie season and the next three as a kick returner. He spent the next seven seasons as a Pro Bowler in the secondary.

Like Deion, Mel Renfro was called upon to play offense due to a large amounts of injuries. In 1965 he averaged 16 yards a reception. Unlike Dieon, this shutdown was not afraid to get physical. He also ran the ball and averaged 6.5 yards a carry.

Ten consecutive Pro Bowls and to this day he still is the franchise leader in INT's. He has 52......same as Champ Baily.....one less than Dieon.