Inception

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3480371 said:
I don't see the issue. The kicks work out.

The van kick woke Arthur, Ariadne, Eames, and Fischer up from the hotel, the hotel kick woke Ariadne, Eames and Fischer up from the snow level. The only people that didn't kick back up this way were Cobb and Saito and they presumably were dead in every level but limbo, in which they eventually shot themselves, sending them back up into reality. Once Yusuf, Ariadne, Eames and Fischer were safe in the van level, they merely had to wait a short period until the sedation wore off.

Ariadne jumping off the building was not a kick.

It was a kick, Ariadne specifically says they will kick themselves while down in limbo.

And still if it wasn't a kick, and they are working in the "proper" fashion, there is still the blowing up of the snow level (which is shown as a kick) which wouldn't be needed.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3480685 said:
It was a kick, Ariadne specifically says they will kick themselves while down in limbo.

And still if it wasn't a kick, and they are working in the "proper" fashion, there is still the blowing up of the snow level (which is shown as a kick) which wouldn't be needed.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/board/thread/167544042?d=167544249&p=1#167544249

Actually, she says they give Fischer a kick in limbo. The suicide is a "kick" -- it's semantics. They have to kill themselves in limbo to get out. So they needed the snow explosion (or the defibrillator for Fischer, since he was almost dead/unconscious), plus the the limbo suicide to kick back up to the snow level. The elevator kicks them back up to the hotel, the van hitting the water kicks them back up to the van. Then the sedation wears off.

This fits with my earlier post about Mall, Cobb, and the train. No plot holes.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
And she does exactly the same thing to herself as Fischer. The fall off the building is not to kill them. Fisher doesn't wake up in level 3 because he died, he wakes up because he was revived, which they couldn't do before because his mind was gone in Limbo. The fall gives Fischer the sense he's dreaming and thus can be revived by the Defib. Ariadne wasn't dead in the snow level so didn't need the defib. Ariadne has no way of knowing what killing yourself in Limbo would do. Ariadne is shown waking up in the snow level while she is still falling in Limbo. It's SHOWN as the fall, if it's not, then it's poor storytelling.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3480786 said:
And she does exactly the same thing to herself as Fischer. The fall off the building is not to kill them. Fisher doesn't wake up in level 3 because he died, he wakes up because he was revived, which they couldn't do before because his mind was gone in Limbo. The fall gives Fischer the sense he's dreaming and thus can be revived by the Defib. Ariadne wasn't dead in the snow level so didn't need the defib. Ariadne has no way of knowing what killing yourself in Limbo would do. Ariadne is shown waking up in the snow level while she is still falling in Limbo. It's SHOWN as the fall, if it's not, then it's poor storytelling.
Ariadne gets the kick in the snow level from the building blowing up. Does she wake up before the building starts falling?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3480878 said:
Ariadne gets the kick in the snow level from the building blowing up. Does she wake up before the building starts falling?

Before the part beneath her does, yes.

[Ariadne jumps and falls. close up of Ariadne falling]
[Cut to SNOW. Sleeping Ariadne eyes open up looking dazed. Floor around her collaspes. She falls]

Reaction score
Just saw it again.

Right after Fischer was shot and they were ready to give up on the mission, Cobb told Eames to start planting the explosives...And I'm not sure what the point of this was if they never intended to go down another level.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good, I wasn't the only person that left the movie saying "what the hell just happened?" lol

I've got to wait for the blue-ray because I'll go broke trying to figure it out at the theaters..

srobinson

Reaction score
Completely useless to the conversation, but a little trivia about the movie.

The actress (Marion Cotillard) that plays Leo's wife won an oscar for playing the singer (Edith Piaf) of the song they used over and over.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I just saw this yesterday, and I may be wrong, but judging from Nolan's past movies which tend to be well layered, and the typical "story within a story" subtext that often pervades good movies, does anyone else think that Cobb was simply the subject of the dream and the "Inception" was the idea that he wasn't actually responsible for his wife's death? It kind of reminded me of a more intricate "Shutter Island".

I really want to watch it again with subtitles because it was often difficult to hear everything in the movie theater and catch all of the intricate exposition.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;3489040 said:
I just saw this yesterday, and I may be wrong, but judging from Nolan's past movies which tend to be well layered, and the typical "story within a story" subtext that often pervades good movies, does anyone else think that Cobb was simply the subject of the dream and the "Inception" was the idea that he wasn't actually responsible for his wife's death? It kind of reminded me of a more intricate "Shutter Island".

I really want to watch it again with subtitles because it was often difficult to hear everything in the movie theater and catch all of the intricate exposition.
I don't know how that would fit with the idea throughout the movie that an Inception was very unlikely to work. So he would actually be the one to implant the idea in his own dream?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Also, I don't think the idea that he's not responsible for his wife death really presented. Sure Ariadne said it once before she knew, but it's pretty clear he was responsible.

If there was any idea that would be a possibility it would be that he needs to move on from what happened and and stop dwelling on what he can't change.

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;3489040 said:

I've considered this and knowing Nolan, I think this is definitely done on purpose. I don't think its supposed to be the purpose of the whole movie, but more like a hidden message or something.

The idea that you have to go way deep into the dream layers in order for inception to work. And where did Cobb finally let go of his guilt?? Limbo, the deepest layer of all.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
JiPqw.jpg

StevenOtero

Reaction score
I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have already been brought up.

I believe Cobb's totem was his wedding ring. It couldn't have been the top, as it was Mal's totem. According to the film once someone's totem is touched by anyone other than the owner it is rendered useless.

Take a look how the final scenes are filmed. They cleverly avoided showing Cobb's left ring finger.

To me, if Cobb was in reality he wouldn't have the ring on, in a dream he would have it on.

Thoughts?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
otero1;3492247 said:
I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have already been brought up.

I believe Cobb's totem was his wedding ring. It couldn't have been the top, as it was Mal's totem. According to the film once someone's totem is touched by anyone other than the owner it is rendered useless.

Take a look how the final scenes are filmed. They cleverly avoided showing Cobb's left ring finger.

To me, if Cobb was in reality he wouldn't have the ring on, in a dream he would have it on.

Thoughts?

According to my wife there is a shot on the plane (after waking up) in which he clearly has his ring on. I remember one that it looked like he had it, but missed any clear shot.

I don't think touching a totem renders it useless, it just opens the possibility of another person projecting a false totem, but with Mal being dead, that's not an issue.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Saw it last night and it's as good as y'all said it was. anytime you get 10 pages out of a movie, it's gotta be pretty good. I'd have to see it at least one more time to add anything of use to what's already been stated in this thread, but i do know that i was so pissed when the van driver stopped on the bridge as it started to raise. he could've easily made the jump if he stayed on it, thus eliminating the risk of being hunted down on the bridge.

I'm so fascinated by dreams. I can't wait till it comes out on dvd for 2 reasons:
1. special features....hoping for a lot of explanation.
2. i want to fall asleep watching this movie, because the audio from the tv is always the audio in my dreams, though the dreams are way different than what the tv is showing. (example: if I fall asleep watching the replay of the hall of fame game, al michaels and chris collinsworth will be the voices of characters in my dream, but they won't be football commentators...they'll be my best friend and a grocery store clerk, or something weird like that. of course everything they say will make perfect sense in the dream though.)

-on a side note, someone brought up about the characters in inception having these amazing, james bond-like fighting abilities when they dream. unfortunately for me, i'm usually hindered by something that wouldn't normally be an issue. the last one i can remember was i was right across the street from cowboys stadium but couldn't find my wy to the stadium, as the start of the game came and went. i finally made my way up to the front gate as the game ended and the fans let out. drove me nuts! :)