Interesting comments about Chris Palmer from Texans Board

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
abersonc said:
that's right -- so why didn't BP take him to the Jets with him?

He wanted to. Palmer took the OC position with Jaguars and Coughlin instead.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm relatively guarded on any effect a coordinator will have here, positive or negative, considering we're going to use the same scheme and philosophy.

But one thing that strikes me as odd is a lot of people who are down on Chris Palmer because of his failed stint in Houston also wanted to bring in Dom Capers to be the DC here. You don't want to bring in someone who merely contributed to the failure in Houston, but you want the mastermind behind the failure?

That is because Capers is a "3-4 genius".

Didn't you know that?

Palmer is just some bum who couldn't win despite great GM support in Cleveland and was solely responsible for the Texans' inability to turn the corner. Bum. Total bum. And maybe even an idiot too.

aikemirv

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Offensive coordinator for the Jaguars. Offense was #3, #8 and #6 in the NFL in offensive points scored. Hung 62 up on "The Genius" in a playoff game. That's how he became a hot commodity and got the expansion Browns HC job.

Well, he may be an upgrade over Payton then, but like you said it is BP's offense and Philosophy that is going to continue, not some new coordinators. BP probably trust him more than Payton also.

Was he running the same style offense in Jax that we run here?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Was he running the same style offense in Jax that we run here?

I wouldn't see how it would be too dramatically different, considering Coughlin was also a former offensive assistant coach under Parcells'.

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I wouldn't see how it would be too dramatically different, considering Coughlin was also a former offensive assistant coach under Parcells'.

Palmer, like Parcells will tailor the offense to the personnel. If he has a Brunell, Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell, he'll throw more. If not, he'll run. It is pointless to pigeon hole anything, because what he ran with Parcells in New England was more pass happy than anything Parcells ran before or since under Hennings or Payton.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Palmer, like Parcells will tailor the offense to the personnel. If he has a Brunell, Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell, he'll throw more. If not, he'll run. It is pointless to pigeon hole anything, because what he ran with Parcells in New England was more pass happy than anything Parcells ran before or since under Hennings or Payton.

uh oh. someone is making sense.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
My question, does Chris Palmer walk the sideline or is he up in the booth. I think its interesting how some are on the sideline while others are up in the booth.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Alexander said:

That's pretty obvious, I was speaking in regards to terminology.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
There is not a single OC who can't succeed if he has a successful offensive line and QB. That's a no-brainer! Some of you want to give Palmer credit for his success with Jacksonville. Well, DUH!, he had Brunell, Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell and a great offensive line. I could be the OC with that talent and look like a genius too.

In my opinion, the OC's who truly earn the salaries are the ones who can devise schemes when a team is deficient in areas. The brilliants OC's are the ones who can compensate (to a certain degree) for a lack of talent. Guys like Andy Reid come to mind. Aside from 2004, the Eagles basically had Donovan McNabb and Donovan McNabb on offense. They would even lose players on their offensive line and have no true running game and that offense was still respectable. On paper, the Eagles don't look like much on offense for next season especially after losing TO but I guarantee their offense will be good next season because Reid can coach.

I don't agree that Parcells completely tailors his offense to it's strengths. I don't feel our RB's are the true between the tackles type of backs but Parcells loves to put JJ in those situations regardless. However, I'm not oblivious to the fact that Parcells does try to work with his players' talent such as incorporating the max protect schemes because our line couldn't pass block.

I agree that brilliant playcalling can't completely compensate for talent but it can make a team competitive. A good OC works according to a team's strengths as opposed to try and fit players to his system.

Alexander

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
That's pretty obvious, I was speaking in regards to terminology.

Parcells might know it. Bledsoe might know it. Everyone else, like Haley, Keyshawn Johnson etc. might have a little learning to do since they don't have any history with him.

I am sure there are some similarities, but there are bound to be some differences as well.

TLW47

Reaction score
dmq said:
My question, does Chris Palmer walk the sideline or is he up in the booth. I think its interesting how some are on the sideline while others are up in the booth.

Palmer was in the booth.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
All I can think of is Ernie Zampese sitting in the booth chain smoking cigarettes and shaking pencils.

TLW47

Reaction score
dmq said:
All I can think of is Ernie Zampese sitting in the booth chain smoking cigarettes and shaking pencils.

It must have been Palmer's choice.

Joe Pendry replaced him and he was on the sidelines.

Alexander

Reaction score
I have always felt that coaches belong on either the sidelines or the booth depending upon their mental makeup.

For example, Mike Zimmer does not impress as a sideline coach as he looks nervous and shows his emotion. Palmer looks like he would fit above the field as well.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
And he will be running Parcells offense here. It will be out of the frying pan and into the fire for Palmer coming here and trying to coach offense for Parcells.

I think the distinction is the talent he has and relative experience with that talent (Bledsoe, Glenn). Also, I do see Jerry and Bill addressing the O-line in FA and the draft to solve the protection matter. Plus, he has worked for and with Bill for a substantial amount of time.

Palmer is not a head coach IMO..but he had a poor GM and head coach/team with the Texans that is not all on him.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Being in the booth protects you from being *****-slaped by Parcells when you're arguing with the refs.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TLW47 said:
Bill needs to give him some rope. Let the guy succeed on his own terms.

In other words Bill LAY OFF.

I bet you Bill will allow Palmer alot of leeway, he's comfortable with, and likes the guy

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
There is not a single OC who can't succeed if he has a successful offensive line and QB. That's a no-brainer! Some of you want to give Palmer credit for his success with Jacksonville. Well, DUH!, he had Brunell, Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell and a great offensive line. I could be the OC with that talent and look like a genius too.

In my opinion, the OC's who truly earn the salaries are the ones who can devise schemes when a team is deficient in areas. The brilliants OC's are the ones who can compensate (to a certain degree) for a lack of talent.

agreed, but you don't put coordinators in positions where they have little to no talent on offense, and a horrible Oline, what's the point in that? to know for sure that you have a great OC? why not just make it easier on the OC, and your team in general by improving the deficient areas?

wileedog

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
In my opinion, the OC's who truly earn the salaries are the ones who can devise schemes when a team is deficient in areas. The brilliants OC's are the ones who can compensate (to a certain degree) for a lack of talent. Guys like Andy Reid come to mind. Aside from 2004, the Eagles basically had Donovan McNabb and Donovan McNabb on offense. They would even lose players on their offensive line and have no true running game and that offense was still respectable. On paper, the Eagles don't look like much on offense for next season especially after losing TO but I guarantee their offense will be good next season because Reid can coach.

The Eagles rode a very good defense and a piss-poor NFC East to the playoffs for 5 years straight. To go with McNabb their offense has always had a decent Oline, good TEs, Duce Staley for several years, and then combo'd him nicely with guys like Westbrook at times as well. Granted other than TO they have had terrible WRs through the whole run, but that has also cost them at key times, which is why they still don't have a trophy.

I have no problems saying Andy Reid is a good offensive coach - he is - but lets not pretend he's making lemonade with lemons over there or that the Philly offense over the years has been the St. Louis Rams Redux.

Lastly, I often wonder if a WCO is really the best fit for McNabb? He tends to be more accurate on the deep ball, and with his ability to buy time might be a better fit in a more vertical, 7 step drop scheme.

I don't agree that Parcells completely tailors his offense to it's strengths. I don't feel our RB's are the true between the tackles type of backs but Parcells loves to put JJ in those situations regardless.
MOst of JJ's success is on draws and delays - which we run in abundance. And I actually think Barber is much better between the tackles, he doesn't have the quickness to consistently get around the corner IMO.

Also asking Larry Allen to pull on a sweep ain't exactly playing to your team's strengths either. Not to mention when your O-lines two worst players are the tackles, that tends to limit your running options outside as well.

I agree that brilliant playcalling can't completely compensate for talent but it can make a team competitive. A good OC works according to a team's strengths as opposed to try and fit players to his system.

Parcells built an offense around Drew Bledsoe, Terry Glenn and Ben Coates in NE which broke all kinds of passing records. He built an offense around Curtis Martin in NY which will land C-Mart in the HOF. Heck, he even made Quincy Carter look like a productive QB for at least half a season.

I think he has done a pretty good job adapting his system to his players over the years. Not as adaptable as Bellichick or Vermiel, but certainly not as set in stone as some others,

jimmy40

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I know a little bit about Chris Palmer, but I thought I would just mossy on down the road to the Houston Texans' Messageboard and get some of their thoughts.

link
Parcells to Palmer: " Hey Chris, ya want to make some easy money? Sure Bill, what do I have to do? Well Chris, there will be no talking to the media, hang around practice and wear a headset on gameday so Jerry will think you're doing something. Sounds swell Bill, see you in Dallas."