Interesting comments by Stephen Jones on Romo contract

Nation

Reaction score
You don't need to restructure Romo in 2015 to be active in 2015 free agency. Even a giant contract could still be had for a 2015 cap number of 5-6 million if you give a player a big signing bonus and a year one minimum base salary. It's probably helpful to eat the 27M this year if you sign a free agent, because then in 2016-17 when that players cap hit goes up Romo's isn't also unnecessarily inflated.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
They have no choice but to restructure Romo, the window is barely open. No sense in saving it for when Romo is gone, we will be paying a QB minimum for at least 4 years.

This. There is realistically a two year window. They need to try and make a run and get the players they need to do so. This off season has to bring in some serious talent on D.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If the team is truly moving in a new direction they won't restructure him, Tyron, or probably anyone. I can't think of many other candidates with big base salaries.

Smith is one I can see them using. His contract is literally built for cooking the books. Romo is the real test. Push him out again, the credit card mentality is still in full effect.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Or they could assume they were a Bryant screw job away from the NFCC game and take the same cautious approach in free agency, keep their fingers crossed on some players taking a step forward (Gardner, Brent, Whaley or whomever) and bank on the draft fortifying the roster.

I know it is not popular to think that they would not go all in for a big push, but I just do not get that impression they are posturing. The Joneses are horrible with poker faces.

We were extremely fortunate to get as far as we did with this D. The odds of this team making the playoffs again with anything close to our current D is slim. Especially with the schedule we have next season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if they don't restructure...or at least not to the extent some think they will.
You can only kick the can down the road for so long. (now tell that to those in DC)
I can see arguments both ways, but it's not the easy call that some may think.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
We were extremely fortunate to get as far as we did with this D. The odds of this team making the playoffs again with anything close to our current D is slim. Especially with the schedule we have next season.

And that is perfectly understandable. And I think they know this. But I firmly believe they were pleased with themselves by what happened when they were pragmatic and prudent about the cap situation and want to see the philosophy through. I do not think there is this all in mentality to fixing the defense that means throwing millions at Suh and buying on credit.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I don't think they should restructure either, but this team needs to sign someone with talent to play defense for us this year or we aren't going 12-4 again.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
And that is perfectly understandable. And I think they know this. But I firmly believe they were pleased with themselves by what happened when they were pragmatic and prudent about the cap situation and want to see the philosophy through. I do not think there is this all in mentality to fixing the defense that means throwing millions at Suh and buying on credit.

Probably so, but at some point, they have to get some talent on this D. Yet another Super Bowl is about to take place that shows that Defense is what wins. And right now, we don't have one.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if they don't restructure...or at least not to the extent some think they will.
You can only kick the can down the road for so long. (now tell that to those in DC)
I can see arguments both ways, but it's not the easy call that some may think.

Washington does not seem to have issues of getting high priced FA, Picked up DeSean Jackson and Jason Hatcher last season and managed to get many of their own signed.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dez, Murray, and Romo carried this offense. Playing with that can be a fatal aspect to all other indicators hoped to be relevant.

But this defensive picture, has to be changed as some of the relied upon players will now be gone. This is the most pressing of changing elements on the team. The reliance upon Romo for this and the next two seasons, was already made two seasons ago, with his most recent contract. The gamble is already there.

The Cowboys have to piece together a three year window for the current defense, and veterans remain a dominant issue at being able to do just that. There has to be cash flow, as this won't get pretty with another stop gap group as the offensive line of four years ago...and all will be lost in the wash.

Jerry, Jimmy, and Jason have all invested, (albeit wisely), in the current run for the trophy...now.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

On paper it seems we might have an easier schedule next year than this year. But that doesn't change the fact our defense is not championship worthy right now. But it is good enough to make the playoffs because of the offense.

daveferr33

Reaction score
Some very refreshing comments from Stephen Jones. Seems he is finally realizing that the cap is a real thing.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Stephan said Dallas might not redo Romo contract and just take $27 mill cap hit this year. That tells me Dallas offers will be on low side for cowboys UFAs. Here are following offers I can see Dallas making:

Bryant - $14 mill season (10 years for $140 million) guarantee of $35 million (more on this below)
Murray - $4 mill season (4 years for $16 million) guarantee $14 million
McClain - $2 mill season (2 years for $4 million)
Durant - $1.5 mill season (3 years for $4.5 million)
Carter - $2.5 mill season (4 years for $10 million)
Free - $2.5 mill season (3 years for $7.5 million)
Parnell - $2 mill season (3 years for $6 million)
Spencer - $1 mill season (1 year contract)
Hayden - $1.5 mill season (3 years for $4.5 million)
Clutts - $700k season (3 years for $2.1 million)

No contract offers for: Melton, Selvie, Harris, Moore or Jones

Those who don't accept contract offers - Dallas goes into draft or inexpensive FA to replace them.

Dez contract: I think guarantee needs to be atleast $35 million because if Dallas franchises him in 2015 they pay $12 mill guaranteed. Then if they decide to franchise him in 2016 for $15 (guaranteed) they will have already paid $27 mill in guaranteed money. Lets remember this is all about the guaranteed money and not length of deal.

New deals are generally cap friendly year one, so this doesn't really tell us anything

CCBoy

Reaction score
Then, one can look at what should be going on upon the carpet, instead of a cash flow chart. As the cap numbers over the next three seasons should escalate significantly as well, league wide.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Washington does not seem to have issues of getting high priced FA, Picked up DeSean Jackson and Jason Hatcher last season and managed to get many of their own signed.

I meant the other Washington DC :)

erod

Reaction score
The cap keeps increasing per year, by the time Romo is gone the cap hit from this won't be as severe as we think.

The problem with this is that cap increases only impact the amount of money that the star players get. Teams corner themselves again by paying all their cap space to a few guys.

The cap could be a billion dollars, and Peyton Manning would eat up 900 million of it. Owners are dumb businessmen when it comes to their sports teams.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
It's nice to hear from one of the few teams over the last 5-8 years that really abused the "credit card" approach, state publicly that they are moving away from doing business that way. It supports what many posters on this very site have stated.

So much for the "free money" concept being supportable.