Interesting comments by Stephen Jones on Romo contract

Reaction score
With Romo's contract, it's not a case of restructure or not restructure. There is a 3rd way.

I would restructure HALF of this years money. That creates about $8M for this year, but pushes forward only $2M a year for 4 years. It flattens out Romo's cap number to around $18M-$20M for the rest of his contract.

You can get good players with that $8M for this year, but pushing forward much less money into future years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't need to restructure Romo in 2015 to be active in 2015 free agency. Even a giant contract could still be had for a 2015 cap number of 5-6 million if you give a player a big signing bonus and a year one minimum base salary. It's probably helpful to eat the 27M this year if you sign a free agent, because then in 2016-17 when that players cap hit goes up Romo's isn't also unnecessarily inflated.

I like this thinking rather than any 'kick the can' talk.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Or they could assume they were a Bryant screw job away from the NFCC game and take the same cautious approach in free agency, keep their fingers crossed on some players taking a step forward (Gardner, Brent, Whaley or whomever) and bank on the draft fortifying the roster.

I know it is not popular to think that they would not go all in for a big push, but I just do not get that impression they are posturing. The Joneses are horrible with poker faces.

It's just something handy to use when discussing money with a player like Dez. If my wallet looks less loaded then I can try to squeeze you down a bit in the negotiations.

There is no way around the fact the defense needs to be upgraded if a championship is in the forecast. I'd be surprised if they don't go after a good FA or two in free agency, ie. names we'll recongnize and respect, not Jeremy Mincey and Terrell McClain types found in the bargain bin. That formula gets you only so far before you are exposed for what you are.

I think it would be a mistake to go "all in" and the Broncos are a good example of why it's a bad idea. But still, spend the money wisely on good players who will be good values. Younger free agents who can play out their contract with good numbers throughout on the stat sheet. I like the term "doubling down" better.

dstovall5

Reaction score
If the team is truly moving in a new direction they won't restructure him, Tyron, or probably anyone. I can't think of many other candidates with big base salaries.

Cut Melton and June 1st on Carr. That's good space right off the bat. Almost $20M when you add the rollover. I'd decline the option on Free. I don't think it saves anything based on the figures provided by some of the main cap sites because he doesn't have a base salary attributed to next year. I don't think there's solid info on the restructure on the cap sites and I don't think they've accounted for his possible cap charge for next year correctly.

Assuming $5M bump to the cap, I think Dallas opens around $10M under. Based on Spotrac's numbers minus $1M for Doug Free's dead money they have listed. The number they have doesn't make sense.

$10M to start, add the $20M plus any additional increase over the $5M bump.

$30M in space and no restructuring necessary. Well, $22M in useable space as Carr's savings don't come until later.

Dez's 1st year can be low, likely not less than $3M just based on SB portion so $19M to improve with when FA opens. Worst case Franchise Tag still leaves $10M. Could have roughly the same if Dez signed and Murray was tagged.

Team doesn't need to restructure this year.

Well said! :starspin:

On a side note, does anyone know why there's a picture of Jared Lorenzen throwing right handed on the OP? I just thought that was kinda weird. :grin:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Just gonna leave this right here.

Pushing money out in terms gotta mean getting rid of old players with big contract like Austin, Ware, Barber and the whole lot of other guys over the last 3 yrs. Because it sure doesnt mean not restructuring because they are still doing it.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
I do like what I am hearing from Stephen. Is it just me, or does he seem to be taking a more active role these last few years and especially this year?

These are such tough decisions....

But. If I am playing GM. I go all in on Romo. He has 2 years left, and thats if everything goes well. Maybe 3 years......but thats a really big stretch.

But I bet on Romo. I approach the salary cap based on Romo being here for another 2 years and were on a run for a SB.

Last edited:

endersdragon

Reaction score
Washington does not seem to have issues of getting high priced FA, Picked up DeSean Jackson and Jason Hatcher last season and managed to get many of their own signed.

Do we really want to have Washington's record of success... they are proof that free agency isn't always a good thing, and have been for over 20 years.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Love the fact that they're finally considering and showing restraint. It would be great if they could absorb Romos hit and still sign everyone they want and have another great year. Seems like that would give them a ton of flexibility moving forward

And not constantly shoving $$$ down the road.
Yes. The CAP will go up.
Stephen is getting them in position to be able to go forward if they have a problem with Romo in any way.
They can restructure Witten and save a little to up some offers without getting hit big at the end of his deal.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Stephan said Dallas might not redo Romo contract and just take $27 mill cap hit this year. That tells me Dallas offers will be on low side for cowboys UFAs. Here are following offers I can see Dallas making:

Bryant - $14 mill season (10 years for $140 million) guarantee of $35 million (more on this below)
Murray - $4 mill season (4 years for $16 million) guarantee $14 million
McClain - $2 mill season (2 years for $4 million)
Durant - $1.5 mill season (3 years for $4.5 million)
Carter - $2.5 mill season (4 years for $10 million)
Free - $2.5 mill season (3 years for $7.5 million)
Parnell - $2 mill season (3 years for $6 million)
Spencer - $1 mill season (1 year contract)
Hayden - $1.5 mill season (3 years for $4.5 million)
Clutts - $700k season (3 years for $2.1 million)

No contract offers for: Melton, Selvie, Harris, Moore or Jones

Those who don't accept contract offers - Dallas goes into draft or inexpensive FA to replace them.

Dez contract: I think guarantee needs to be atleast $35 million because if Dallas franchises him in 2015 they pay $12 mill guaranteed. Then if they decide to franchise him in 2016 for $15 (guaranteed) they will have already paid $27 mill in guaranteed money. Lets remember this is all about the guaranteed money and not length of deal.

I think you resign moore and let hayden walk and let Carter see what he can get then match it.

Wood

Reaction score
I think you resign moore and let hayden walk and let Carter see what he can get then match it.

I thought hayden was apart of that group of defensive players who played above their talent level this year. I would have to see significant improvement in Josh Brent game to consider not resigning Hayden. All of this can change if Dallas drafts monster in middle for that DL.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Washington does not seem to have issues of getting high priced FA, Picked up DeSean Jackson and Jason Hatcher last season and managed to get many of their own signed.
Washington's depth is awful.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I thought hayden was apart of that group of defensive players who played above their talent level this year. I would have to see significant improvement in Josh Brent game to consider not resigning Hayden. All of this can change if Dallas drafts monster in middle for that DL.

I agree Brent should improve next year. Add in Coleman and Bishop plus a couple of draft picks and we have a good defensive line.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Romo's contract, it's not a case of restructure or not restructure. There is a 3rd way.

I would restructure HALF of this years money. That creates about $8M for this year, but pushes forward only $2M a year for 4 years. It flattens out Romo's cap number to around $18M-$20M for the rest of his contract.

You can get good players with that $8M for this year, but pushing forward much less money into future years.

There is a very good chance the Cowboys could do exactly what you describe. A lot depends on where we are in free agency. If we need a lttle room to sign just the right player we can and move on. It's really a pretty good position to be in.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

There is no reason to go half way. Just re-do the whole thing. If you don't use it, it carries over and offsets any increase in 2016

But they have up to 10-12 of their own FAs to sign and would like to add a couple vets to the D

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
If they don't restructure it will be very telling of their long term plans. Hint they don't want romo dead money when he isn't on the team in 2 years

skinsscalper

Reaction score
dumb...the window is now.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of fiscal responsibility after some of the gaffes that this particular front office has been guilty of in the recent past but as you said above: the window is now. Go for broke and give Romo a legit shot at this whole thing. Restructure Romo, get Dez and Murray in the fold, do what it takes to get a legitimate pass rushing threat and make a run at this thing right now.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of fiscal responsibility after some of the gaffes that this particular front office has been guilty of in the recent past but as you said above: the window is now. Go for broke and give Romo a legit shot at this whole thing. Restructure Romo, get Dez and Murray in the fold, do what it takes to get a legitimate pass rushing threat and make a run at this thing right now.

Dallas is a very young team. They can afford quite a few large contracts

They already have over 40 players under contract that have a cap hit of 1.1m or less

The cap is projected to be around 148m with the rollover. It's not 2009 anymore, don't let the cap be the reason they don't the sign the best players

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Some of it is already guaranteed. Like $7.5m. I would only clear cap space if opportunity presents itself. If we can sign a top pass rusher, I think that would justify clearing cap space. If it means that I can retain Dez, Murray, McClain, Free, and Carter then I do it too.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
[quote"SDCowboy85, post: 5955826, member: 26765"]We were extremely fortunate to get as far as we did with this D. The odds of this team making the playoffs again with anything close to our current D is slim. Especially with the schedule we have next season.[/quote]

But isn't that the same thing we said before the season this year? Yet, here we were in the divisional playoff round, withe one bad call away from a potential push to make it to the SB. The odds may be long, but it is definitely a possibility we can make the playoffs next year. Especially with a new draft class, some mid level FAs, a year more experienced and hopefully a healthier LBer core. .

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas is a very young team. They can afford quite a few large contracts

They already have over 40 players under contract that have a cap hit of 1.1m or less

The cap is projected to be around 148m with the rollover. It's not 2009 anymore, don't let the cap be the reason they don't the sign the best players

You're right.

You don't let the cap stop you from signing the best players.

You don't sign the best players if their contact is beyond their value at the position, which most free agent deals are.

You also don't sign them if you look around the league and see how high-priced free agents have generally flopped after getting paid.

Two years ago the Seahawks pushed themselves over the top with 2 reasonably priced signings:

Cliff Avril 2 years for $13 mil.

Michael Bennett 1 year for $4.8 mil.

Those are the contracts a smart team looks for.