Interesting comments by Stephen Jones on Romo contract

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
[quote"SDCowboy85, post: 5955826, member: 26765"]We were extremely fortunate to get as far as we did with this D. The odds of this team making the playoffs again with anything close to our current D is slim. Especially with the schedule we have next season.

But isn't that the same thing we said before the season this year? Yet, here we were in the divisional playoff round, withe one bad call away from a potential push to make it to the SB. The odds may be long, but it is definitely a possibility we can make the playoffs next year. Especially with a new draft class, some mid level FAs, a year more experienced and hopefully a healthier LBer core. .[/quote]

What was actually said before the start of this season was far worse than, "The odds of this team making the playoffs again with anything close to the current D is slim".

This, "I'm ready to jump off the nearest building" before free agency and the draft is so over the top.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Stephan said Dallas might not redo Romo contract and just take $27 mill cap hit this year. That tells me Dallas offers will be on low side for cowboys UFAs. Here are following offers I can see Dallas making:

Bryant - $14 mill season (10 years for $140 million) guarantee of $35 million (more on this below)
Murray - $4 mill season (4 years for $16 million) guarantee $14 million
McClain - $2 mill season (2 years for $4 million)
Durant - $1.5 mill season (3 years for $4.5 million)
Carter - $2.5 mill season (4 years for $10 million)
Free - $2.5 mill season (3 years for $7.5 million)
Parnell - $2 mill season (3 years for $6 million)
Spencer - $1 mill season (1 year contract)
Hayden - $1.5 mill season (3 years for $4.5 million)
Clutts - $700k season (3 years for $2.1 million)

No contract offers for: Melton, Selvie, Harris, Moore or Jones

Those who don't accept contract offers - Dallas goes into draft or inexpensive FA to replace them.

Dez contract: I think guarantee needs to be atleast $35 million because if Dallas franchises him in 2015 they pay $12 mill guaranteed. Then if they decide to franchise him in 2016 for $15 (guaranteed) they will have already paid $27 mill in guaranteed money. Lets remember this is all about the guaranteed money and not length of deal.

How much power does Stephen have on the cap with regard to Jerry in terms of deciding how to work things?

Wood

Reaction score
How much power does Stephen have on the cap with regard to Jerry in terms of deciding how to work things?

I would say Stephen has significant influence. If you listen to Stephen interview carefully you get the sense that Jerry is always a players biggest cheerleader and they have to kind of pull him in during contract negotiations to maintain financial flexibility. I think Jerry and Stephen play good cop and bad cop respectively. We use it in our business and it works quiet well. I also feel Jerry is finally to point of trusting Jason with coaching, McClay with draft and Stephen with cap. I really do believe Dallas is entering a golden era in terms of continuity.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Smith is one I can see them using. His contract is literally built for cooking the books. Romo is the real test. Push him out again, the credit card mentality is still in full effect.

What is it about his contract that gives you that impression?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
What is it about his contract that gives you that impression?

TSmith's contract is the one I would be more resistant to restructure right away. He already has his signing bonus to account for a few more years. His contract is very balanced and doesn't come with a lot big swings in salary.

If they need the room to sign someone I could see re-doing it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree Brent should improve next year. Add in Coleman and Bishop plus a couple of draft picks and we have a good defensive line.

Agree, Brent and Bishop alone give you what you need at the 1 Tech and we have other candidates like Hayden, Okoye, etc. Its not a position you use a premium pick or high FA dollars on or else Shariff Floyd would have been our draft pick two years ago.

With DLaw and Mincey at RDE and Crawford (and maybe Terrell McClain) at the 3 Tech we should be fine at those positions. You would probably be fine at LDE resigning Spencer on an incentive deal and then drafting a DE with pass rush ability in the first round.

These comments about not needing the cap room from restructuring Romo may be a tell that the team doesn't think a high priced DE like JPP or Hardy will be the best way to go, and that they will continue building through the draft.

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
Another point on restructuring Romo is that it may be simple risk management. Romo is the only guy on the team with such a huge amount of potential dead money that if something were to happen to him, it would cause a dead season from the team having to absorb a cap hit of 40 million dollars or so.

The only time this has ever happened in Dallas was when Aikman was injured. There were rumors back then that Aikman forced his release unexpectedly to join Norv Turner in San Diego but the SD front office changed their minds. Instead of spreading Aikman's cap hit over several years, Dallas took it all at once and it was a huge impact on that season. Jerry may remember that and decide to take that risk off the table if the cap room isn't really needed for 2015.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Agree, Brent and Bishop alone give you what you need at the 1 Tech and we have other candidates like Hayden, Okoye, etc. Its not a position you use a premium pick or high FA dollars on or else Shariff Floyd would have been our draft pick two years ago.

With DLaw and Mincey at RDE and Crawford (and maybe Terrell McClain) at the 3 Tech we should be fine at those positions. You would probably be fine at LDE resigning Spencer on an incentive deal and then drafting a DE with pass rush ability in the first round.

These comments about not needing the cap room from restructuring Romo may be a tell that the team doesn't think a high priced DE like JPP or Hardy will be the best way to go, and that they will continue building through the draft.

Every single player both of you guys listed has been nothing but average, except for Mincey having an "above average" year. If we go into next season with this DL we'll once again be "average" and banking on Lawrence because no one else is going to be getting pressure outside of the Mincey/Crawford tandem, which once again, was pretty average. Crawford is the only "good" player on the DL, and he needs better players around him, period. Lawrence has all the potential in the world, but I don't expect him to be a 15 sack guy in his second season.

This defense rotates a lot of players, you don't just say "oh we have 4 guys that can line up at the positions, we're good." It doesn't work like that. Not to mention, it's doubtful Mincey would be starting on any "good" DL in the NFL. He should be the 3-4 guy, a rotational guy to spell the starter. The fact that right now he's our best DE is borderline criminal, even starting the 2015 season with him as a #2 would be a huge disappointment. We should go into camp with enough talent at DE to where it's questionable Spencer is even going to have a job. That's how you build a DL that can rush the passer.

Bishop has potential but he's not going to play 800 snaps next year at a high level. Brent can't stay on the field and Hayden is Hayden so if we can get a talented player there to "start" with either Brent/Bishop spelling them we should absolutely look into it.

Okoye's name shouldn't even be mentioned at this point. People realize this guy was getting his meals through an IV while in a medically induced coma, right? He may never return to the NFL. I'm rooting for him but he's a complete risk at this point, and he was never an All-Pro to begin with. The rest of the guys competing at the 3 are just as risky. McClain is just about the only guy that can play snaps at the 3 right now that's actually reliable.

I'm either adding 1 pro bowler + 1 decent guy on the DL in FA, or I'm adding 2 "good" players. I'm also taking 1-2 in the draft.

We have very little depth and very little talent on the DL. We got lucky with injuries on the DL front this season, but imagine Crawford going down in camp. What's our DT depth look like then? Will we even have another tackle that can generate *any* pressure? If Lawrence gets injured, we're stuck with Mincey and a rookie starting? Who's going to spell these guys because Marinelli rotates all his DL quite a bit?

We need both talent and depth on the DL, in a bad way. If we need to restructure Romo to do it, so be it. Everyone talking about "kicking the can", or "using credit", are the same guys who haven't taken one look at how Romo's restructure allocation actually affects our cap, it's just fun for them to say. A restructure of Romo isn't even that bad given our situation and the future cap numbers. If it means the difference between a top 5 defense or a few extra bucks on a year we're already 60 mill under the cap for, give me the top 5 defense any day of the week.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Not to mention, it's doubtful Mincey would be starting on any "good" DL in the NFL. He should be the 3-4 guy, a rotational guy to spell the starter.

That might be why I listed him as a backup. Just a hunch.

Okoye's name shouldn't even be mentioned at this point.

I listed him as the 4th option at 1 Tech. I beg your forgiveness.

I could go on, but I'm really not interested in debating the crowd that said six months ago that we would have the worst defense in the NFL this season.

gmoney112

Reaction score
That might be why I listed him as a backup. Just a hunch.

I listed him as the 4th option at 1 Tech. I beg your forgiveness.

I could go on, but I'm really not interested in debating the crowd that said six months ago that we would have the worst defense in the NFL this season.

Then you'd be debating someone else because i said exactly the opposite.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Then you'd be debating someone else because i said exactly the opposite.

If you were OK with a 2014 DL of Mincey, Selvie, Hayden and Melton with a big injury question mark, I would think you would be happier with a DL of DLaw, Crawford, Brent and a #1 pick. Especially when the depth next year will likely be much better than last year.

I think its a lock they upgrade the secondary in the offseason. The LB group should be much better next year but the health of the group will be a big wildcard. (Which is why they will go 4 or 5 deep). The entire issue for the defense next year IMO is pass rushing from the edge. DLaw will improve and the RDE position will be better with Mincey as a backup instead of starting. If the LDE position is Spencer (the way he looked in the playoffs) and a #1 pick it will be a huge improvement over what Selvie did this year.

And I'm not against signing a premium FA, I think Hardy would make a huge impact. I'm just speculating on what the team will do if they decide not to pursue a FA DE like Hardy or JPP.

lostar2009

Reaction score

It seem as if this draft is kinda deep with DE's. We can possibly go Dline our first 3 picks.