Interesting Draft Trade Talk on Sirius NFL Radio (C. Johnson)

CoachHodnett

Play-calling is an Art
Reaction score
They interviewed Malcom Kelly and he revealed that the Bengals were sending a few scouts and coaches to his workout tomorrow and then immediately flying him back to Cinci for an official visit.

Carl Banks and Bob Popa started talking about scenarios that would allow the Bengals to select Kelly, even at #9 and with their Defensive woes.

Popa said that the most likely scenario would be for the Bengals to select Kelly at 9, then pull of a trade with Dallas that would send Chad Johnson to the Cowboys for the #28 pick. The Bengals could then go DB or DL.

Granted this is all hypothetical, but this is a realistic scenario. I would even throw in a Carpenter or Ayodele.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CoachHodnett;2028441 said:
They interviewed Malcom Kelly and he revealed that the Bengals were sending a few scouts and coaches to his workout tomorrow and then immediately flying him back to Cinci for an official visit.

Carl Banks and Bob Popa started talking about scenarios that would allow the Bengals to select Kelly, even at #9 and with their Defensive woes.

Popa said that the most likely scenario would be for the Bengals to select Kelly at 9, then pull of a trade with Dallas that would send Chad Johnson to the Cowboys for the #28 pick. The Bengals could then go DB or DL.

Granted this is all hypothetical, but this is a realistic scenario. I would even throw in a Carpenter or Ayodele.

if we're going to spend a 1st on a vet WR, i'd like one not competing with TO and Glenn for old-man references.

Tobal

Reaction score
I'd rather have him than Pacman, he doesn't get in trouble off the field, he's not injury prone, he talks alot and biches when he doesn't get the ball.... He's a star WR thats what they do.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
iceberg;2028445 said:
if we're going to spend a 1st on a vet WR, i'd like one not competing with TO and Glenn for old-man references.

Exactly right --and don't forget to add he is a total head case

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Bengals are looking at him for their 2nd round pick.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
theogt;2028454 said:
The Bengals are looking at him for their 2nd round pick.

Will he still be there ? honest question -not being my normal self

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
justbob;2028455 said:
Will he still be there ? honest question -not being my normal self
It's more likely than him being taken at 9. Honestly, it's hard to gauge the stupidity of NFL GMs, though. Look at where Ginn was taken.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The only issue I would really have is Johnson's age. I'd rather have one of the younger WRs available but Chad is a very good WR. There is no doubt.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'd much rather have Pacman who is cheaper, younger and will cost less in trade.

I can see us doing 28 for Ocho Cinco though if Roy Williams is not a possibility.

Jerry is serious about that 2nd WR threat.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2028444 said:
You'd really give #28 and a player for that headcase?

There is no end to what some people would give up for some players. People love names, big names.

Demarcus ware and jason witten for chad johnson ..sure...we would be unstoppable with those wr.

sounds good to me. Trading anything for that guy is a crucial mistake.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2028468 said:
There is no end to what some people would give up for some players. People love names, big names.

Demarcus ware and jason witten for chad johnson ..sure...we would be unstoppable with those wr.

sounds good to me. Trading anything for that guy is a crucial mistake.
Chad Johnson may have a bit of a diva complex, but he's not a criminal nor has he been engaged in any criminal activity. Plus he's not just a name on the field, he's actually had big time production on the field.

That's the difference when considering going after him or going after a Pacman.

Like ABQ said, I'd rather they go after one of the other vet WRs being mentioned, but C. Johnson is a talent.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;2028461 said:
The only issue I would really have is Johnson's age. I'd rather have one of the younger WRs available but Chad is a very good WR. There is no doubt.
Eggactly. Seems we always have old WR's the last few years.

sago1

Reaction score
I'd much rather get RWilliams.

Believe CJ will be a lot of trouble unless he adjusts to reality with the Cowboys & just does his job to the very best he can.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Makes me think that Jerry Jones has thrown this option out there to the 3 clubs with veteran receivers who may may or may not be available.

"The Cowboys are looking for a veteran wideout and we're willing to offer our #28 overall draft pick. First come, first served."

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
WoodysGirl;2028472 said:
Chad Johnson may have a bit of a diva complex, but he's not a criminal nor has he been engaged in any criminal activity. Plus he's not just a name on the field, he's actually had big time production on the field.

That's the difference when considering going after him or going after a Pacman.

Like ABQ said, I'd rather they go after one of the other vet WRs being mentioned, but C. Johnson is a talent.

This is a few days old by now, but I'd recommend that the Max Kellerman Podcast from 4/3 be listened to by anyone who can. It's a pretty in depth interview with Chad.

I'm on record for wanting a vet WR and would much prefer RoyW or Boldin, but after listening to the podcast, I'm not as against the idea of Chad as I was...especially if we can use a 2nd and a player.

Tiny excerpt from the podcast (paraphrased):

Kellerman: If there was one player from any team you would want brought to the Bengal to improve them, who would it be?

Chad: One? Terrell Owens. Two? I'd think Shawn Rogers, but we missed on that one.

The interview is just chock full of opportunities to "read into" things.;)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
iceberg;2028445 said:

Chad is a mere 30. That isn't old, by any stretch, specially given the great condition he keeps himself in. he could EASILY play another 5 years or so.

I'd give up #28 and either one of those guys, in a second, for Chad Johnson. Without a doubt.

But it's not going to happen. I'll be thrilled if it does...but I don't see it happening.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2028488 said:
Chad is a mere 30. That isn't old, by any stretch, specially given the great condition he keeps himself in. he could EASILY play another 5 years or so.

I'd give up #28 and either one of those guys, in a second, for Chad Johnson. Without a doubt.

But it's not going to happen. I'll be thrilled if it does...but I don't see it happening.

Its not that he is a mere 30 --its the fact that all of them are ---plus aren't his knees a little messed up