Interesting Draft Trade Talk on Sirius NFL Radio (C. Johnson)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Sure, no doubt. But, again, Chad can easily replace Glenn and could do so for about 5 years with the shape he stays in.

I would have no issue, what so ever, with getting a very productive Chad Johnson for 5 seasons. You could draft 2 or 3 young guys during that time to groom to take over for him by the time he's gone.

No issue with that at all.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2028507 said:
Sure, no doubt. But, again, Chad can easily replace Glenn and could do so for about 5 years with the shape he stays in.

I would have no issue, what so ever, with getting a very productive Chad Johnson for 5 seasons. You could draft 2 or 3 young guys during that time to groom to take over for him by the time he's gone.

No issue with that at all.

Doesn't he have knee problems already?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2028472 said:
Chad Johnson may have a bit of a diva complex, but he's not a criminal nor has he been engaged in any criminal activity. Plus he's not just a name on the field, he's actually had big time production on the field.

That's the difference when considering going after him or going after a Pacman.

Like ABQ said, I'd rather they go after one of the other vet WRs being mentioned, but C. Johnson is a talent.

A. I dont want pacman anywhere near our team.
B. Where did I say chad jonson was a criminal?

I just dont think chad johnson is the missing link. Teams take a natural course to winning. It takes time. There is no instant winning solution. This team has put in all the time and the ups and downs. They have learned how to lose and how to win. They have the right type of players and they are a team right on the edge.

No need to upset the apple cart and throw in chad johnsons antics. No matter what is said, at some point johnson will cause problems directly or indirectly. there is no way owens and johnson co-exist.

Now roy williams I am all for. He is a level headed guy for the most part and a team player. He keeps to himself and you always hear about his off the field charity work. He is the kind of player that would fit right in on this roster. Nobody would need to watch what they say about him or how they talk about him. He would become just one of the guys instantly.

The only thing I like about johnson is he is a vertical threat, we have an offnse built around deep passing plays and we are aggressive at all times of the game, he would fit right into that. I just dont think there is any chance he fits in with this locker room. He would be a headache from day 1. He is in his 30s. No need to go down that road.

Nothing wrong with developing a young wr. We have the staff to teach young players now and staying young is always a good thing.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2028535 said:
A. I dont want pacman anywhere near our team.
B. Where did I say chad jonson was a criminal?
You didn't suggest that he was a criminal. I was pointing out that he wasn't and didn't have near the issues that Pacman has. Coupled that with his overall talent, it's not an idea you can completely dismiss if the Bengals were offering him up in a trade.

I just dont think chad johnson is the missing link. .
It's not about Chad being the missing link, it's that the team has a need and that if the Bengals were to offer him up, he could fill that need.

Teams take a natural course to winning. It takes time. There is no instant winning solution. This team has put in all the time and the ups and downs. They have learned how to lose and how to win. They have the right type of players and they are a team right on the edge.
That's a huge assumption there. They learned how to win a little bit, but there is still a question of do they know how to win when it matters. We don't know that yet.

No need to upset the apple cart and throw in chad johnsons antics. No matter what is said, at some point johnson will cause problems directly or indirectly. there is no way owens and johnson co-exist.
They're friends, so anything is possible.

Now roy williams I am all for. He is a level headed guy for the most part and a team player. He keeps to himself and you always hear about his off the field charity work. He is the kind of player that would fit right in on this roster. Nobody would need to watch what they say about him or how they talk about him. He would become just one of the guys instantly.
The things you speak positively about Roy, Chad does also. Roy Williams is a good player, but he has the same diva mentality. It's just stifled in Detroit, because they've had no success. He's also had more injuries.

The only thing I like about johnson is he is a vertical threat, we have an offnse built around deep passing plays and we are aggressive at all times of the game, he would fit right into that. I just dont think there is any chance he fits in with this locker room. He would be a headache from day 1. He is in his 30s. No need to go down that road.
He's right at 30 and his age is his only drawback. Outside of that, I just don't share the same concerns. I think we (fans) worry more about lockerroom issues than the players.

Nothing wrong with developing a young wr. We have the staff to teach young players now and staying young is always a good thing.
I agree with this. Getting a vet WR doesn't prevent the 'boys from drafting one either.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
justbob;2028520 said:
Doesn't he have knee problems already?

I've heard, or read, nothing of the sort and if he does he sure doesn't show it on the field when he's playing.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2028488 said:
Chad is a mere 30. That isn't old, by any stretch, specially given the great condition he keeps himself in.
Except when talking about a certain cornerback on the team... Then 30 is a practical death sentence. ;)

Theebs is exactly right. It's really weird how some people actually prefer the wackos and attention ****** to the good guys. It's sad how people like T.O. and Chad are more highly thought of than guys like Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2028594 said:
Except when talking about a certain cornerback on the team... Then 30 is a practical death sentence. ;)

Theebs is exactly right. It's really weird how some people actually prefer the wackos and attention ****** to the good guys. It's sad how people like T.O. and Chad are more highly thought of than guys like Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt.
I don't know that that's true, CL. I seriously doubt people think T.O. and Chad are significantly better than Torry Holt or Marvin Harrison. I think it's only in relation to them possibly becoming a Cowboy that it matters.

Torry and Marvin are great guys and great players, but there's been zero shot of them leaving their respective franchises. If they had somehow become available a little earlier in their prime, there would most definitely be threads wanting Jerry to sign 'em up.

Angus

Reaction score
There is wisdom in the old idea of filling needs in free agency and drafting for the best available player, regardless of need.

;)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I know, WG, I was talking more in relation to how the average fan would rank them.

But there's a pretty good reason why the Harrisons and Holts and Wards have never been available and the others have, no?

TEUFELI

Reaction score
Chad is 30 and literally....insane. There is a difference between diva and insane. I will pass. Its gonna be enough of a circus around here with pacman, TO, Romo (unfortunately, it's true) with "players coach" wade letting the inmates run the asylum. If Chad gets thrown in....Lord.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Patrick Crayton turned 29 yesterday, so we do need to get younger at the position.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
theogt;2028454 said:
The Bengals are looking at him for their 2nd round pick.

Nope. They are looking at him for the 1st round pick. His pro day tomorrow will make or break MK in this draft.

NFL Network was talking about the Bengals being a big player for MK in the 1st round. No lie. No crimson glasses neither. :p:

I know MK has been to doctors and recieved glowing reports on his health recently (knees and thigh). I also read that his agent was faxing these reports around to other teams who may be interested in MK early.

We will find out tomorrow just how well he shows in his workout. Who knows. He may be a 5th rounder. :rolleyes:

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2028444 said:
You'd really give #28 and a player for that headcase?
I'd say "no", but I would have to think long and hard about it. Adding a #2 receiver to this team takes them from very good to elite, in my opinion. It let's Crayton be the #3 receiver that he is meant to be, and it gives the team a true "pick your poison" list of threats that would give defenses fits all season long.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2028594 said:
It's sad how people like T.O. and Chad are more highly thought of than guys like Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but T.O. is a hands-down better receiver than Marvin Harrison. T.O. has been a quarterback kingmaker his entire career, and the stats don't even begin to show just how vast the chasm is. Harrison has had the luxury of playing almost his entire career with one quarterback, and that quarterback being a sure-fire hall of famer. Torry Holt played much of his career in the Mike Martz system.

Really, it's not even close, and it has nothing to do with his ego.

Chad Johnson is an average #1 receiver but could be an excellent #2.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
If the trade did go through.... Would there be enough Pop Corn Machines in Texas Stadium!!!!!

jjktkk

Reaction score
Look at all of the great Wr's in the league. Moss,TO, Chad Johnson, etc... Most of em are head cases. Michael Irvin as well when he was in the league. These guys are just like that. Trading our 28th pick would be a great trade. Johnson might be a headcase, but he practices hard and plays hard. Hes easily one of the top w:starspin ide outs in the league.

Randy White

Reaction score
TheSkaven;2028642 said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but T.O. is a hands-down better receiver than Marvin Harrison.

Love T.O., but that's rediculous.

ddh33

Reaction score
Here's my favorite part of all of this: it looks like Dallas is going to have a really good shot at getting a big-time wide receiver to pair with TO. Despite all of the talk, I hadn't really thought that possible before now.

As far as Chad Johnson is concerned, I think he is a great player. He produces on the field, and he doesn't get in trouble off the field. I really do think the guy loves football. But he does bring a ton of baggage with his emotions and those sorts of things...Because of that, he isn't my first choice, but if he's the only one available (which I still kind of doubt for several reasons), then I would gladly take a chance on him.

khiladi

Reaction score
TheSkaven;2028642 said:
Chad Johnson is an average #1 receiver but could be an excellent #2.

How does an average WR consistently break 90 receptions each year?