Interesting Roster Scenarios

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most interesting position to me is WR and both how many they end up keeping with the addition of Pollard and which 5 or 6 that is. I would prefer for them to keep 6 and count Pollard as a RB and not some hybrid and 5 WR's.

As usual, every day we'll hear how one has shined and one has dulled and that will reverse the next day. I think the guy with the best coaching job on the team is Lal, but I think he's got some hard decisions to make. Last season, it seemed we didn't have enough and that has reversed this season.
You’re right about the up and down reporting on players in TC. Anyone who has followed an NFL training camp knows, the hype machine is always most active in August. Some guy who will either not make the roster or will be making tackles on punts and kickoffs will be touted as a possible star for us. It’s one reason I take any TC hype about a young guy with huge grain of salt.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re right about the up and down reporting on players in TC. Anyone who has followed an NFL training camp knows, the hype machine is always most active in August. Some guy who will either not make the roster or will be making tackles on punts and kickoffs will be touted as a possible star for us. It’s one reason I take any TC hype about a young guy with huge grain of salt.

WR seems to always be a position filled with a lot of speculation and changing reporting throughout training camp. Even a single nice catch can get a write up in a blog or a mention on TV, and the fans minds run with it. The next day it can be someone else. And then there is always that ultra fast guy that draws interest, and that guy who may not be as fast but has great hands or runs great routes, or that big guy that can be hard for DB's to handle. It's a constant swirl, and it probably should be again this year since I doubt anyone is locked in beyond Cooper, Gallup and Cobb.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Backup QB- Does White or Rush stand out? If not team needs to go get a veteran backup QB. Dak has been healthy but I'm not sure White or Rush are capable of being backups.
OL Depth- How many does this team keep? Tyron, Connor, Travis, Zack, and La'el are your starting 5. McGovern and Looney are probably automatically on the roster. What about Sua-Filo who did an excellent job last year? Fleming is probably your favorite at tackle but Mitch Hyatt is interesting. Maybe Larry Allen Jr.
DE Depth- Not sure how much longer Quinn and Crawford will be on this roster. Would like for at least one of Taco, Armstrong, or Jackson to stand out so they can slide into the starting DE spot next year. Can't trust Randy.
DB Depth- Byron and Brown are under contract for one more year and Awuzie and Lewis for two. Hope Jackson steps up big time. Olumba could be interesting.
Who will be this years Antwaun Woods? A few guys...Jon'Vea Johnson, Mitch Hyatt, Donovan Olumba

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
It’s gonna be a huge and interesting camp
I think several roster spots are really up for grabs
WR is gonna be fun to see how it shakes out
I’m of the thinking you keep one backup QB
Neither showed the ability to win games for us last year. So I see if white has grown as a player and if he has I keep him over rush. I think rush blew his real shot last year and I’d have to really see something special from him to spend a roster spot on him again
There is going to be good competition for the #2 QB, #3 RB, WR/OL/DE Depth. I'm really looking forward to it. Some veterans that could be in trouble:
Hurns, Austin, Fleming, Crawford. Wonder how much longer they put up with Taco. Could they trade La'el if they get a good offer? I don't want them trading him midseason. Do it in August or don't do it.

conner01

Reaction score
There is going to be good competition for the #2 QB, #3 RB, WR/OL/DE Depth. I'm really looking forward to it. Some veterans that could be in trouble:
Hurns, Austin, Fleming, Crawford. Wonder how much longer they put up with Taco. Could they trade La'el if they get a good offer? I don't want them trading him midseason. Do it in August or don't do it.
Gonna be fun to watch it play out

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Some of mine....
  • This season rides on Dak and Kellen Moore because the roster is as good as it gets in the NFL these days. However, Michael Gallup will play a big part in that. He and Dak weren't on the same page much last year, but they had a few nice connections. If that get gets sorted out, the offense should be much more dynamic.
  • Sean Lee will have a bigger impact than we realize. If he's only being asked to play 20 plays a game, perhaps he can hold up, and when fully healthy, he's still better than Jaylon and LVE.

On Gallup, I think there's an outside chance that *another* WR takes more of those deep threats this year that Dak and Gallup failed to connect on. We've got faster guys to back off a defense, or run by them, and that makes for a better fit for our base offense.

Sean Lee could be yuge, and it all comes down to his hammies. If they're healthy, we don't have to limit his snaps, and if not, he's probably still an upgrade over Damien Wilson, but not someone we'll be sad to take off the field.

A healed Lee is probably the best interior LB on half the teams in the league. And he'd be our 3rd best. Even healed, I'd put him below Jaylon and LVE at this point.

The other bright point on Jaylon and LVE - last year Jaylon was not fully healed, and LVE missed much of camp. As good as they were last year, they should be better this year.

erod

Reaction score
On Gallup, I think there's an outside chance that *another* WR takes more of those deep threats this year that Dak and Gallup failed to connect on. We've got faster guys to back off a defense, or run by them, and that makes for a better fit for our base offense.

Sean Lee could be yuge, and it all comes down to his hammies. If they're healthy, we don't have to limit his snaps, and if not, he's probably still an upgrade over Damien Wilson, but not someone we'll be sad to take off the field.

A healed Lee is probably the best interior LB on half the teams in the league. And he'd be our 3rd best. Even healed, I'd put him below Jaylon and LVE at this point.

The other bright point on Jaylon and LVE - last year Jaylon was not fully healed, and LVE missed much of camp. As good as they were last year, they should be better this year.

LVE tailed off at the end and we overrate Jaylon. He makes some really flashy plays, but he gets completely lost on others.

When Lee is fully healthy, he controls games. He's a wrecking ball.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
LVE tailed off at the end and we overrate Jaylon. He makes some really flashy plays, but he gets completely lost on others.

When Lee is fully healthy, he controls games. He's a wrecking ball.

Jaylon has been underrated and underutilized. There's some stat around about he's one of the most productive blitzing true LBs. If the foot is really healed, his man coverage skills, which were probably his biggest selling point, come to the fore.

He's a different animal than both Lee and LVE. They're run game and zone coverage. Jaylon is blitzing and man coverage.

And Lee hasn't been that wrecking ball since 2016. He's 33 this year. Even if the hammies never had issues, it would be unrealistic to expect him to be a wrecking ball at 33.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who will be this years Antwaun Woods? A few guys...Jon'Vea Johnson, Mitch Hyatt, Donovan Olumba

Devin Smith was an early 2nd rounder who fits as a deep threat for our base.
Could be the next Laurent Robinson. And we have his rights for the next 2 years.

I'm wondering if a guy like Hyatt or Redmond makes the 53. They won't have much impact this year, we hope, but it would be nice to hit on a developmental olineman as a future backup instead of hiring the veteran retreads.

erod

Reaction score
Jaylon has been underrated and underutilized. There's some stat around about he's one of the most productive blitzing true LBs. If the foot is really healed, his man coverage skills, which were probably his biggest selling point, come to the fore.

He's a different animal than both Lee and LVE. They're run game and zone coverage. Jaylon is blitzing and man coverage.

And Lee hasn't been that wrecking ball since 2016. He's 33 this year. Even if the hammies never had issues, it would be unrealistic to expect him to be a wrecking ball at 33.
Jaylon is tremendous in a straight line. If he has to cut and change directions....yikes.

He should be healed now as well as he'll every be the rest of his life. We'll see.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jaylon is tremendous in a straight line. If he has to cut and change directions....yikes.

He should be healed now as well as he'll every be the rest of his life. We'll see.

Last I had heard during the season, they said the foot wasn't 100% yet, and we should expect even bigger things from him in 2019.

In his college play evals, agility was supposed to be one of his strong suits.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Kicker- I’m not sure Brett Maher earned the right last year to be called a reliably accurate NFL kicker. He made some big kicks but he also blew a few gimmes too. We may have another K by seasons start. Or Maher may solidify himself. This will be interesting.

This one surprises me the most on how they didn't really make any moves. As you stated, yeah, he made some big kicks but with every kick I am at the edge of my seat (unless the kick is for some garbage points). I most certainly wouldn't feel good about him lining up to make a FG to win a big playoff game.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Devin Smith was an early 2nd rounder who fits as a deep threat for our base.
Could be the next Laurent Robinson. And we have his rights for the next 2 years.

I'm wondering if a guy like Hyatt or Redmond makes the 53. They won't have much impact this year, we hope, but it would be nice to hit on a developmental olineman as a future backup instead of hiring the veteran retreads.
I would love a guy like Hyatt say, oh in 5 years when it's time to replace Tyron. You have Tyron and La'el/Connor for the next few seasons. Not sure how he plays for us. Hard for me to believe a dude that was an All-American OT at Clemson can't be a starter in the NFL. Not sure how teams missed on him.

Devin Smith is interesting. Forgot we had him. I'll be excited to read reports on him at practice and preseason games.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would love a guy like Hyatt say, oh in 5 years when it's time to replace Tyron. You have Tyron and La'el/Connor for the next few seasons. Not sure how he plays for us. Hard for me to believe a dude that was an All-American OT at Clemson can't be a starter in the NFL. Not sure how teams missed on him.

Devin Smith is interesting. Forgot we had him. I'll be excited to read reports on him at practice and preseason games.

You're not alone in forgetting about Devin Smith. He's rarely even acknowledged as existing, but his college tape was good enough to make him a second round pick, and it wasn't some fluke reach. Maybe his injuries have made him a bust. Maybe he was always destined to be a bust. But people are putting rookie UDFAs on the 53 before him.

I'll love guys like Hyatt and Redmond if they can take over for Fleming and Looney as our long term back ups. And I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that somehow Larry Allen II sticks around.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
As training camp nears, it’s always fun to speculate what the final roster will look like on opening day. I think we fans too often look at last year's team and assume most people are coming back again to the same role. But as we saw at the end of last year's preseason, Brett Maher was kept instead of Dan Bailey. A big example of a roster surprise most of us didn’t see coming.

Changes happen every year and 2019 will be no exception. It’s probably too early to have an accurate read on what may happen at every position but I still think there are a few positions where changes may happen:
  • Backup QB- I think it’s certainly possible that neither Cooper Rush nor Mike White will be the primary backup QB to start the season. If one of them doesn’t emerge in preseason games, I expect to see a veteran backup be picked up after final cuts. As a former 5th round pick, White probably has a longer leash than Rush.
  • Kicker- I’m not sure Brett Maher earned the right last year to be called a reliably accurate NFL kicker. He made some big kicks but he also blew a few gimmes too. We may have another K by seasons start. Or Maher may solidify himself. This will be interesting.
  • TE- IMO, Jason Witten’s return at age 37 is not necessarily an upgrade at the position. Love Witten but I have a hard time believing he will be the “HOF version” of #82. Blake Jarwin had started to emerge late last season and Dalton Schultz has some upside too. Pretty safe to say the “legend” of Rico Gathers has faded. But Garrett likes to keep 4 TEs. This will be an interesting watch.
  • LG/RT- There has been much speculation about these two positions all offseason. Apparently, Connor Williams has bulked up and may finally be ready to step in at LG. Or is he moving to RT? We’ve heard the rumors of a possible La’El Collins trade. Would this year’s 3rd rounder Connor Macgreagor be ready to step in at LG if Williams is moved to RT? Or will Collins stay at RT? This will be an interesting scenario to watch.
What are some roster positions and scenarios you find interesting that may have some surprises this year? Any surprise roster moves you see in the making?

Good post, lad! This is the type of roster analysis that gets the juices flowing as camp approaches.

That QB position is fascinating.
I am resigned to the almost adequate Dak, but I feel bad for those two very adequate blokes wasting their youth as never-seen QBs.

I do hope we give a lot of preseason snaps to Rush and possibly, as QBs fall, maybe someone will toss us a TE or O line fodder for Rush to compensate. But it will take lots of dnsps for Rush and our PR and publicity people to create a buzz about Rush.
Good post, laddie!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good post, lad! This is the type of roster analysis that gets the juices flowing as camp approaches.

That QB position is fascinating.
I am resigned to the almost adequate Dak, but I feel bad for those two very adequate blokes wasting their youth as never-seen QBs.

I do hope we give a lot of preseason snaps to Rush and possibly, as QBs fall, maybe someone will toss us a TE or O line fodder for Rush to compensate. But it will take lots of dnsps for Rush and our PR and publicity people to create a buzz about Rush.
Good post, laddie!
Mike White is a complete mystery to me. Rush has looked better although that’s relative. White was somehow seen worth a 5th round pick but IMO has shown next to nothing as of yet. If he’s going to make a move this camp is his opportunity.

Worrying about Backup QBs is usually a waste of time because if we have to rely on one it usually means no playoffs. But having one good enough to win a game or two is worth developing. If neither Rush nor White show that much, it’s probably time to look elsewhere as some vet backups may pop up when late cuts happen in late Aug or early Sept.

erod

Reaction score
Last I had heard during the season, they said the foot wasn't 100% yet, and we should expect even bigger things from him in 2019.

In his college play evals, agility was supposed to be one of his strong suits.

I've heard doctors say that nerve damage like that usually never heals to 100%. He's already more healed than most people ever would be.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I've heard doctors say that nerve damage like that usually never heals to 100%. He's already more healed than most people ever would be.

The prognosis for a professional athlete with infinite money to spend on rehab on a superhuman body is probably better than for joe sixpack.

At some point, his progress will max out, but last I heard they expected progress to continue through this year.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good choices of positions to watch.

Personally, I'm thinking Mike White does what he didn't do last year, surpass Cooper Rush as the backup.

The new kicker, fingers crossed, has earned the spot... for now.

I genuinely hope Witten has good intentions. Maybe give him a red zone package.
He claims he wants to coach. Taking Jarwin and Schultz under his wing would be
a welcomed change. (Hopeful but also doubtful... lol)

The LG/RT position watch is definitely the most interesting to me. Here's an area
the FO is doing well at adding talent. Drafting McGovern and Williams improvement
gives them leverage in Collins contract talks or more likely a trade.

I always enjoy reading your posts, Bob.
Witten likes his reps!