Interesting Roster Scenarios

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
No question but what the Cowboys' QB situation sorely requires a capable #1 backup. We obviously lack one at this juncture.
Hopefully, a capable and fairly consistent one may be likely to come into the picture once the final cuts are being determined.

The WR corps has an excellent group of viable candidates who hold great promise of developing into outstanding performers.
I'm pretty hopeful that one or two newbies are likely to come forth in TC and the preseason games, to distinguish themselves.

Witten, despite his ongoing age, will most certainly be one and the same TE who has proven to be a remarkable chain mover.
Despite that being the case, I believe the time has come where Blake Jarwin should be afforded an increased number of reps.

Let's hope my newfound pet cat, Donovan Wilson, manages to work his way onto the active roster and develop into a keeper.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question but what the Cowboys' QB situation sorely requires a capable #1 backup. We obviously lack one at this juncture.
Hopefully, a capable and fairly consistent one may be likely to come into the picture once the final cuts are being determined.

The WR corps has an excellent group of viable candidates who hold great promise of developing into outstanding performers.
I'm pretty hopeful that one or two newbies are likely to come forth in TC and the preseason games, to distinguish themselves.

Witten, despite his ongoing age, will most certainly be one and the same TE who has proven to be a remarkable chain mover.
Despite that being the case, I believe the time has come where Blake Jarwin should be afforded an increased number of reps.

Let's hope my newfound pet cat, Donovan Wilson, manages to work his way onto the active roster and develop into a keeper.
They've had the same backup QB for 2 seasons and the #3 is now in his 2nd year with a chance to move to #2.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
They've had the same backup QB for 2 seasons and the #3 is now in his 2nd year with a chance to move to #2.

Mike White's main qualifications seem to rely upon the strength of his arm, although, his accuracy and consistency have been extremely questionable. He hasn't come close as yet, imho, to lead the Cowboys well enough to seriously challenge, in the event Dak goes down for multiple games. We shall see.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Mike White's main qualifications seem to rely upon the strength of his arm, although, his accuracy and consistency have been extremely questionable. He hasn't come close as yet, imho, to lead the Cowboys well enough to seriously challenge in the event Dak goes down for multiple games. We'll see.
I hope not!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I hope not!

I think he may or may not be retained, depending upon his performance in TC. It's also possible Rush could be cut if he doesn't perform much better than he did last year in camp. I wouldn't be too surprised if we acquired a QB, yet to be named, when the final cuts are made. In fact, I'm hoping this is what might happen. Our backup QB situation is shaky, to say the least.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike White's main qualifications seem to rely upon the strength of his arm, although, his accuracy and consistency have been extremely questionable. He hasn't come close as yet, imho, to lead the Cowboys well enough to seriously challenge, in the event Dak goes down for multiple games. We shall see.

IMO, White either clearly becomes the #2 this season or there is no point keeping him.

A QB with legit upside in his 2nd training camp should bypass Rush.

On the flip-side, if White surpasses Rush, I don't see the point of using a roster spot for Rush.

I don't see the Cowboys signing a journeyman veteran. They've avoided it for the past 2 seasons.

If a young QB that they liked in the past few drafts is available, then they might sign that type of player.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
IMO, White either clearly becomes the #2 this season or there is no point keeping him.

A QB with legit upside in his 2nd training camp should bypass Rush.

On the flip-side, if White surpasses Rush, I don't see the point of using a roster spot for Rush.

I don't see the Cowboys signing a journeyman veteran. They've avoided it for the past 2 seasons.

If a young QB that they liked in the past few drafts is available, then they might sign that type of player.

I could see that happening, as well. I suspect Rush really needs to improve his showings by leaps and bounds, although, it's doubtful, if last year is any indication. As much as I'd love to see a young QB coming available to us at the final cuts, that is surely somewhat questionable. The final cuts should make for some intriguing situations, though, that's for doggone sure! ;)

Last edited:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I agree. I think like most quarterbacks around here, Rush regressed and got worse rather than better. He had an impressive preseason in 2017, but in looking at his work even then, I saw a "one read quarterback", who dropped back and threw to the first read in his progression. And one who was fortunate enough that he threw an accurate, catch-able ball to that first read. But the guy we saw last year was indecisive and showed his real lack of physical ability and arm strength. I saw nothing in Rush that made him worthy of a roster spot, much less the backup quarterback position. We were simply really fortunate that neither guy had to eve be called upon. If we're not so lucky this year, our season is over.
I don't think any of our backup QBs got a fair shake last pre-season. The backup linemen were a mess and most of the starters didn't even play any meaningful snaps. Neither one had any time to make multiple reads. The receiving core was a mess too.

IMHO the whole pre-season was a mess and it showed in the Carolina game. Rush has a weak arm, but seemed to have more intangibles in the 2017 pre-season, but neither was impressive and I'm hoping that had to do with the whole terrible coaching experience we saw last year. So I would give them both a pass on last year and I'm very interested to see how they look this pre-season.

Having said that, they both could also really suck, but I would like to see a better team and oline performance this TC/pre-season to really make a good judgement on these guys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think any of our backup QBs got a fair shake last pre-season. The backup linemen were a mess and most of the starters didn't even play any meaningful snaps. Neither one had any time to make multiple reads. The receiving core was a mess too.

IMHO the whole pre-season was a mess and it showed in the Carolina game. Rush has a weak arm, but seemed to have more intangibles in the 2017 pre-season, but neither was impressive and I'm hoping that had to do with the whole terrible coaching experience we saw last year. So I would give them both a pass on last year and I'm very interested to see how they look this pre-season.

Having said that, they both could also really suck, but I would like to see a better team and oline performance this TC/pre-season to really make a good judgement on these guys.

You do bring up some good points, things were a bit of a mess during last year's preseason. But no excuses this year, and from the reports I've read and heard, neither of them looks appreciably better thus far.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
You do bring up some good points, things were a bit of a mess during last year's preseason. But no excuses this year, and from the reports I've read and heard, neither of them looks appreciably better thus far.
Lol...Well that's not good news!

Last year I swear we had the worst two backup QBs in the league during pre-season. Too bad because I fell for the Rush hype in 2017.

Coaching matters, whether it be coaching them up and making them better, or if that is not a possibility, then churning them. Seems like we did neither. One has to wonder why????

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol...Well that's not good news!

Last year I swear we had the worst two backup QBs in the league during pre-season. Too bad because I fell for the Rush hype in 2017.

Coaching matters, whether it be coaching them up and making them better, or if that is not a possibility, then churning them. Seems like we did neither. One has to wonder why????

We always seem to leave one area to be our undoing, don't we? That one spot that we failed to adequately consider that ends up costing us a season? Maybe that's all part of the plan? To have at least one built-in excuse for when things go wrong?

I can't understand the complete turnaround in their approach to backup quarterback? First, they were overpaying veteran scrubs because they felt it was such a big need, and now they're willing to roll the dice on two guys with zero experience and no reported improvement?

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I can't understand the complete turnaround in their approach to backup quarterback? First, they were overpaying veteran scrubs because they felt it was such a big need, and now they're willing to roll the dice on two guys with zero experience and no reported improvement?

Seems nothing more than a bet on Dak's durability (and against Romo's).

I don't like it either. It's true that the season is basically lost (no matter who the backup) if Dak goes down for the season. But that doesn't mean you don't need a guy that can go .500 if Dak misses a stretch of 4-6 games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems nothing more than a bet on Dak's durability (and against Romo's).

I don't like it either. It's true that the season is basically lost (no matter who the backup) if Dak goes down for the season. But that doesn't mean you don't need a guy that can go .500 if Dak misses a stretch of 4-6 games.

Given this team's history with backup quarterbacks, I think that if Dak misses any length of time, we're dead. Not just struggling, but right back to the Weeden-Cassel peiord where we were lucky to win a single game.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given this team's history with backup quarterbacks, I think that if Dak misses any length of time, we're dead. Not just struggling, but right back to the Weeden-Cassel peiord where we were lucky to win a single game.
I agree. And many times fans will say if Tom Brady was not playing for NE, they couldn’t win either. Amazingly, the Pats are 13-6 in games without Brady, using 3 different backup QBs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. And many times fans will say if Tom Brady was not playing for NE, they couldn’t win either. Amazingly, the Pats are 13-6 in games without Brady, using 3 different backup QBs.

And Belicheck even managed to win games with Matt Cassel, who this coaching staff couldn't even coach to the "competent level".

Their absolute collapse without their starting quarterbacks, as well as the huge drop-off when any front-line talent misses time - shows how entirely player reliant this coaching staff is.

The players carry this team.