Interesting stat- Garrett’s record after a bye

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Thanks as always Dre for keeping my posts alive although I would like to mention that my name is spelled “BOB”.
Nice thread Bobby. Classy reply as always. ;)

@CowboyRoy @DOUBLE WING @leeblair

3fie4k.jpg

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I’ve heard many times over the years, that one way to judge your team’s head coach is to look at how well their teams play after a bye week or after having a bye week in the playoffs. Last night as I watched the game, I thought it would be interesting to see how well Garrett’s teams have ranked against other teams in those situations.

2011 was the first full year of Jason Garrett as Head Coach of the Cowboys. Now in his ninth full season as HC, Garrett’s record after a bye is a mediocre 5-4, almost mirroring his overall winning %. The one time in his tenure his team earned a #1 playoff seed, earning a coveted bye in the playoffs, the team lost at home after the bye. That makes his total “after a bye” record as 5-5.

Let's have some real context here.

2011 bye game. vs. Patriots. Loss. Pats go to the Superbowl
2012 vs. Ravens. Loss Ravens are the Superbowl winners that year.
2013 vs. Giants. WIN
2014 vs. Giants WIN
2015 vs. Giants Loss - Matt Cassell was our starter.
2016 vs. Eagles Win
2016 playoff bye vs. Packer Loss
2017 vs. 49ers Win
2018 vs. Titans Loss
2019 vs. Giants Win

Note that two of the five losses came against Super Bowl teams. One came in a lost season with Matt Cassel at the helm. Another came against the Packers in a back and forth game. The only hideous performance was losing to the Titans.

I know y'all hate context but it is important when people throw out supposedly meaningful statistics.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't argue with people that agree with me. That seems to be what you are doing.

As far has firing Garrett its way over due. Anyone is better then clappy the clown. At least Jones had enough sense to fire his butt from the offense.
All u have done is complain and point to a well known problem without offering any solution and avoiding anyway you can answering it.

We get believe me you are well known Garrett haters on this board....

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Sean McVay and Sean Payton both lost today coming off a bye. Neither team produced an offensive TD. Payton lost at home to 1-7 Falcons!

No, I'm not a "Garrett lover". I'm someone who is tired of seeing certain other coaches put on pedestals here, while their flops are ignored.

BKBDAD

Reaction score
I’ve heard many times over the years, that one way to judge your team’s head coach is to look at how well their teams play after a bye week or after having a bye week in the playoffs. Last night as I watched the game, I thought it would be interesting to see how well Garrett’s teams have ranked against other teams in those situations.

2011 was the first full year of Jason Garrett as Head Coach of the Cowboys. Now in his ninth full season as HC, Garrett’s record after a bye is a mediocre 5-4, almost mirroring his overall winning %. The one time in his tenure his team earned a #1 playoff seed, earning a coveted bye in the playoffs, the team lost at home after the bye. That makes his total “after a bye” record as 5-5.

How does that compare with other NFL teams after a bye? Garrett’s teams rank 18th of 32 in post bye matchups since he started in 2011.

Here is a link if you want to view these rankings yourself: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trend/win_trends/is_after_bye?range=yearly_since_2011

Comparing Garrett to some other Coach’s post bye records: (Some teams haven’t had their bye yet this year- others like NE have had multiple byes in the playoffs- thus the number discrepancy)
  • Bill Belechick 13-3
  • John Harbaugh 8-2
  • Sean Payton 7-2
  • Pete Carroll 7-3
  • Mike Tomlin 6-4
It’s no coincidence that in the last decade plus, these guys have all won a Super Bowl or in BB’s case, several SBs.
yes, mistake free football is always a goal - IMO play making is far more important

give me Meredith or Staubach or Romo or Dak over Morton or Danny or Bledsoe any game of the week

Hollywood over Bruenig ...
This team is the worst one we’ve had to watch over the last 15 years or more! Not because they aren’t talented, nope, but they are the most talented, underachieving bunch of players & coaches that have ever put on the Cowboy uniform! These guys should be the next Cowboy generation of hero’s such as Too Tall, Drew Pearson or Roger or Troy, Emmett & Michael. But instead they will always be remembered like Ware, TO & Romo or probably lower. IT IS TIME FOR GARRETT TO GO!!!

BKBDAD

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson and Parcells have both been coaches under Jerry. Your laughable comment once again gets blown out of the water.
True but since Parcells, Jerry hasn’t gone after a strong minded head coach. If GARRETT were with any other team, he’d have been fired long ago!

ArtClink

Reaction score
This team is the worst one we’ve had to watch over the last 15 years or more! Not because they aren’t talented, nope, but they are the most talented, underachieving bunch of players & coaches that have ever put on the Cowboy uniform! These guys should be the next Cowboy generation of hero’s such as Too Tall, Drew Pearson or Roger or Troy, Emmett & Michael. But instead they will always be remembered like Ware, TO & Romo or probably lower. IT IS TIME FOR GARRETT TO GO!!!

Dont put Ware alongside TO and Romo. Ware is a SB Champ.