Interesting stat- Garrett’s record after a bye

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m not taking the bait.

I’ll ask again. Why does Jerry want Puppets?

That statement was so classic and so funny that I had to immortalize it in my signature. Now you can read it every time you talk to me. :lmao::huh:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That statement was so classic and so funny that I had to immortalize it in my signature. Now you can read it every time you talk to me. :lmao::huh:
I don’t see sigs here.

Why does Jerry only want to win with Puppets?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It’s always nice to see the circumstances where regular season wins and losses actually matter around here. And to take a little break from complaining about this win to complain about what happens when we don’t win after a bye. Feels good, man.
:lmao:

Wolfpack

Reaction score
By Jason’s own account they don’t game plan differently eanweek so I’m guessing his is using the bye week to polish his resume and go
duck hunting with Jerry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sorry Bob, I forgot this was your thread. I know your intentions are realistic and you usually don’t fail to call out the root of the evil but this other guy or girl is a leading troll on Garrett. And appears to be in denial or ignorant of Jerry’s agenda with his puppet HC.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Why are bye weeks treated any different than any other week during the real season? The same amount of preparation goes into each game but the first one. The CBA doesn't allow them to make the players put in more work because it's a bye week. The bye week is usually for players to get additional time off to heal up.

I think the bye week record is more of a reflection of what other team they played coming out of the bye. The exception is the bye week of the playoffs and I do not trust Garrett to have his team playoff ready if he has that additional week.

Do we know what players do on a bye week? Coaches? It is obvious the Cowboys players do not spend that week reflecting on not creating penalties.
Sure, the players can't practice anymore but the coaching staff can work as much as they like.

BHendri5

Reaction score
I’ve heard many times over the years, that one way to judge your team’s head coach is to look at how well their teams play after a bye week or after having a bye week in the playoffs. Last night as I watched the game, I thought it would be interesting to see how well Garrett’s teams have ranked against other teams in those situations.

2011 was the first full year of Jason Garrett as Head Coach of the Cowboys. Now in his ninth full season as HC, Garrett’s record after a bye is a mediocre 5-4, almost mirroring his overall winning %. The one time in his tenure his team earned a #1 playoff seed, earning a coveted bye in the playoffs, the team lost at home after the bye. That makes his total “after a bye” record as 5-5.

How does that compare with other NFL teams after a bye? Garrett’s teams rank 18th of 32 in post bye matchups since he started in 2011.

Here is a link if you want to view these rankings yourself: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trend/win_trends/is_after_bye?range=yearly_since_2011

Comparing Garrett to some other Coach’s post bye records: (Some teams haven’t had their bye yet this year- others like NE have had multiple byes in the playoffs- thus the number discrepancy)
  • Bill Belechick 13-3
  • John Harbaugh 8-2
  • Sean Payton 7-2
  • Pete Carroll 7-3
  • Mike Tomlin 6-4
It’s no coincidence that in the last decade plus, these guys have all won a Super Bowl or in BB’s case, several SBs.

I wish they put a one post limit on you fire Garrett people, there’s no better coach for our team. He is a great coach . Stop crying, find another team or something

Brooksey

Reaction score
When you don't have a winning record after having more time to prepare it's telling

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Our solution is so simple.

Hire a dream team front office and or coaching staff.

Wonder why our owner settles for puppets and leftovers?
Jerry doesnt like other alpha males especially as HC, he likes yes men and people who are fine with being subservient.
He also doesnt think who the HC is matters, he thinks it is all in assembling talented players and team.
He also likes to be involved and be sort of a gm/coach himself.
The team is his toy, and he likes to play with it more than win with it.
If he hired an alpha male HC, he would not be comfortable , and he couldnt be as involved, and it would not be as much fun.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
Someone else was making this point too. Its something to think about because its not like he has had the exact team each year. Personnel has changed over his time in Dallas and yet tell me whether or not he is an advantage. Think of it this way, do we have a specific or inherent leg up on our competition scheme-wise with Garrett playing against some of the best teams in the league?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I’ve heard many times over the years, that one way to judge your team’s head coach is to look at how well their teams play after a bye week or after having a bye week in the playoffs. Last night as I watched the game, I thought it would be interesting to see how well Garrett’s teams have ranked against other teams in those situations.

2011 was the first full year of Jason Garrett as Head Coach of the Cowboys. Now in his ninth full season as HC, Garrett’s record after a bye is a mediocre 5-4, almost mirroring his overall winning %. The one time in his tenure his team earned a #1 playoff seed, earning a coveted bye in the playoffs, the team lost at home after the bye. That makes his total “after a bye” record as 5-5.

How does that compare with other NFL teams after a bye? Garrett’s teams rank 18th of 32 in post bye matchups since he started in 2011.

Here is a link if you want to view these rankings yourself: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trend/win_trends/is_after_bye?range=yearly_since_2011

Comparing Garrett to some other Coach’s post bye records: (Some teams haven’t had their bye yet this year- others like NE have had multiple byes in the playoffs- thus the number discrepancy)
  • Bill Belechick 13-3
  • John Harbaugh 8-2
  • Sean Payton 7-2
  • Pete Carroll 7-3
  • Mike Tomlin 6-4
It’s no coincidence that in the last decade plus, these guys have all won a Super Bowl or in BB’s case, several SBs.

Just an observation 4 of the 10 games have been against the Giants. It seems like we play the Giants opening week and after a bye a lot. We're 3-1 in the those after bye week games against the Giants.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Our solution is so simple.

Hire a dream team front office and or coaching staff.

Wonder why our owner settles for puppets and leftovers?

I wondered this also. There is no salary cap on the coaching or staff. Why don't Jerry hire the best guys money can buy. All this talent we have had for years have gone to waste having coaches like Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett smh.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wondered this also. There is no salary cap on the coaching or staff. Why don't Jerry hire the best guys money can buy. All this talent we have had for years have gone to waste having coaches like Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett smh.
You don’t have any idea why Jerry doesn’t pursue greater coaching?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Your claimed it’s not possible. It’s happened twice. Your dead wrong. End of story. Changing the subject won’t help you.
first time was Jimmy, where Jerry didn't have a clue and he let a real coach run the team....subsequently Jerry pushed Jimmy out the door.....

once Jerry realized he sucked as a GM and went through coach after coach, ran draft after draft and ran the team into the ground, he admitted he didn't know what he was doing and hired parcells….subsequently Jerry got Cocky and inserted himself in the process and parcells quit!!

now, is the team ran into the ground? we are middle of the pack (JGs history), so Jerry is not willing to admit anything and he will meddle and any good coach worth their anything probably won't come here or use dallas as a stepping stone to somewhere better....

while Jerry is in charge, we will not find success.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I never defend Jerry.

Another simple answer. Jerry is an idiot that is a control freak and is insecure.

Now tell me why you constantly defend the horrid puppet Garrett?
ok, I think you answered your own question. Jerry is Horrid, yet Garrett is at fault!!! not sure if what you said really makes sense.....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
first time was Jimmy, where Jerry didn't have a clue and he let a real coach run the team....subsequently Jerry pushed Jimmy out the door.....

once Jerry realized he sucked as a GM and went through coach after coach, ran draft after draft and ran the team into the ground, he admitted he didn't know what he was doing and hired parcells….subsequently Jerry got Cocky and inserted himself in the process and parcells quit!!

now, is the team ran into the ground? we are middle of the pack (JGs history), so Jerry is not willing to admit anything and he will meddle and any good coach worth their anything probably won't come here or use dallas as a stepping stone to somewhere better....

while Jerry is in charge, we will not find success.....

As long has Jerry hires idiots like Garrett to run his team, we will never win a SB. Never.