Interesting stuff on Bobby Carpenter

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Wade was asked about Carp today and he didn't sound very positive. The reporter asked if it was just a numbers game, and Wade said that yes it was. He said Bobby works hard and works extra, "so maybe it will work out for him."

Maybe I didn't convey it well, but it didn't sound very positive. Wade's going to defend his players, and that was a pretty weak defense.

Then on 103.3 they were talking about it, and Steve Dennis (an OSU alum) said he could never understand why Parcells saw him as an inside player, because he always played OLB and some DE in a 43, but he wasn't physical at all. Dennis said he actually asked Gil Brandt about that, and he said he agreed, that he didn't know why anyone would want to move a guy inside who wasn't a physical player.

Just food for thought. Maybe we didn't think things through when we drafted him... Or something. But it's curious how he played well in that Seattle playoff game outside.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Looks like someone would be smart enough to put him where he would perform the best!

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
We are protecting him from injury so that we could package with our first round picks for McFadden. ;)

sago1

Reaction score
I think it is probably a numbers game at OLB competing against Ware & Ellis and along comes Spencer; looks like ILB simply isn't his position. Wonder if he'd prosper as an OLB in the 4-3. Anyway, I really hope the Cowboys can find a place for him which really benefits us. I seem to recall that Randy White (or maybe it was another player) who spent first 2 years at one position w/o result but Landry then moved him elsewhere and he became a pro bowler. Hard to believe that a guy his size isn't physical enough.

I really like Carpenter after I see him on Inside the Huddle with Romo the another night. Seems like a really funny guy who willing working his butt off and who really wants to contribute on defense but also doing his part on offense. I'm not prepared to call him a bust until at least the end of this season although I keep in mind that Parcells give the player 3 years.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
With the way he performed in that Seattle game, I fear we're going to move him before we have a real good look at him at OLB, and he's going to go to New England or somewhere and be a terror.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Carpenter is a solid OLB. He is a better coverage guy then either Ellis or Spencer but lacks the pass rush of either. He isn't physical at the point of attack so that hurts but Spencer hasn't been great there yet either.

Carpenter was/is just a bad fit here where BP hated that softness and Wade wants a better pass rusher.

Carpenter will probably end up as an OLB in a Miami 4-3 where they value size less and speed more but don't require a lot of taking on blockers.

Carp is what the 7th LB on the overall depth chart? yikes....

Roy Williams is more physical... sigh.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1752439 said:
Then on 103.3 they were talking about it, and Steve Dennis (an OSU alum) said he could never understand why Parcells saw him as an inside player, because he always played OLB and some DE in a 43, but he wasn't physical at all. Dennis said he actually asked Gil Brandt about that, and he said he agreed, that he didn't know why anyone would want to move a guy inside who wasn't a physical player.

I too could never understand the move to inside.

A blind man could see he's not a inside guy.

All the time he's spent on the inside has been wasted time he could have been learning more on the outside...which is where he should have been all along.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I have always thought he was better as a outside LB in the 4-3. Just doesn't fit here.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ILB is obviously his position. He isn't a 3-4 OLB. And he's just not better than any of our starters both inside and out. That doesn't mean he sucks, though.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;1752504 said:
ILB is obviously his position. He isn't a 3-4 OLB. And he's just not better than any of our starters both inside and out. That doesn't mean he sucks, though.

:rolleyes:

Yet he's played his best as an OLB in the 3-4. Maybe the one who is missing the "Obvious" is you.

IMO if we'd started him those games on the outside while Ellis was out we would of got a lot more production then we did out of Spencer. That's not saying much since Spencer is a rookie learning a new position.

But yeah, it's "Obvious" he's an OLB. But whatever they do with him, they need to just LEAVE HIM THERE Fulltime. The dude won't ever have a chance if they keep moving him around.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
HE WILL BE OUT OF THE LEAGUE IN 2 Years------

I watched him specifically on a several plays while at the Bills Game- Below are the things i noticed---

1) he lack fluidity in the hips
2) he cannot change direction quickly

these are the reasons he was moved inside in a 3-4.... he doesnt have speed or fluidity and because of that he has no chance of starting or even being a viable player in this league

HE WILL BE OUT OF THE LEAGUE IN 2 YEARS- A COMPLETE BUST

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
ghettogandhi;1752608 said:

I watched him specifically on a several plays while at the Bills Game- Below are the things i noticed---

these are the reasons he was moved inside in a 3-4.... he doesnt have speed or fluidity and because of that he has no chance of starting or even being a viable player in this league

WRONG.

dooomsday

Reaction score
ghettogandhi;1752608 said:

I thought;

1) He lacks stones in his cup area
2) His hair lacks consistency

The dude has no shot.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Maybe what you saw as lack of fluidity or slowness to change direction is just a guy that is hesistant after being played out of position and feeling like the odd man out.

I'm one of those guys that doesn't think Parcells should have drafted him, and certainly not with our first pick, that draft was pretty much a wash, in my opinion. Except maybe for Hatcher, who seems to be coming along and maybe Pat Watkins.

I'd love to see Bobby get some more time at OLB, and in a 3-4, it's a wonder he doesn't see the field more, but I definitely agree that he's no ILB. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded him as a package, but I really do want to see him succeed as a Cowboy.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Parcells drafted Carpenter to play OLB. Shifted him inside b/c Ellis was better.

Parcells was also the guy who wanted pick Spears ahead of Ware.

Bill obviously muffed this call, Carpenter is not as good a passrusher, run stopper or as athletic as either Kiwanuka or Lawson, players chosen AFTER Bobby Carpenter.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack;1752552 said:
:rolleyes:

Yet he's played his best as an OLB in the 3-4. Maybe the one who is missing the "Obvious" is you.

IMO if we'd started him those games on the outside while Ellis was out we would of got a lot more production then we did out of Spencer. That's not saying much since Spencer is a rookie learning a new position.

But yeah, it's "Obvious" he's an OLB. But whatever they do with him, they need to just LEAVE HIM THERE Fulltime. The dude won't ever have a chance if they keep moving him around.
It seems pretty obvious to Wade.

BAT;1752674 said:
Parcells drafted Carpenter to play OLB. Shifted him inside b/c Ellis was better.

Parcells was also the guy who wanted pick Spears ahead of Ware.

Bill obviously muffed this call, Carpenter is not as good a passrusher, run stopper or as athletic as either Kiwanuka or Lawson, players chosen AFTER Bobby Carpenter.
Bill drafted Carpenter because he thought he could play both inside and outside linebacker.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1752439 said:
Wade was asked about Carp today and he didn't sound very positive. The reporter asked if it was just a numbers game, and Wade said that yes it was. He said Bobby works hard and works extra, "so maybe it will work out for him."

Maybe I didn't convey it well, but it didn't sound very positive. Wade's going to defend his players, and that was a pretty weak defense.

Just food for thought. Maybe we didn't think things through when we drafted him... Or something. But it's curious how he played well in that Seattle playoff game outside.
I think at OSU he did benefit from playing along-side A. J. Hawk. Sort of like the Deion-effect that helped Larry Brown become a Super Bowl MVP...then a million-dollar pine rider the next season when he didn't have th benefit of Deion opposite him.

But, I do believe that Carp has talent...just need to be able to work him in where he can do better with his abilities.