Interesting stuff on Bobby Carpenter

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1752439 said:
Just food for thought. Maybe we didn't think things through when we drafted him... Or something. But it's curious how he played well in that Seattle playoff game outside.

I think the thing is that he's a good run and chase player... not physical enough to play inside. However, while he plays like an OLB... he isn't a very good pass rusher, which is neccessary for a 3-4 OLB.

IOW, he's good for a 4-3 run and chase OLB, but not for a 3-4 pass rushing OLB.

However, I feel like he may not be quite fast or nifty enough to really excell as a 4-3 OLB when compared to a good one like LB Ernie Sims at Detroit or Brooks at Tampa Bay. Those guys are much better athletes than Bobby.

So... I don't see much of a position for a bigger, not quite fast guy who isn't physical and can't rush the passer.

IOW... probably bust. :(

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Carp is the 3rd man in the OLB rotation when Ellis retires. By then we will know if he can rush the passer or not. If he is only going to ride the pine and play special teams, maybe we should try and trade him while he still has a little value left.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
peplaw06;1752475 said:
With the way he performed in that Seattle game, I fear we're going to move him before we have a real good look at him at OLB, and he's going to go to New England or somewhere and be a terror.

I sincerely hope that does not happen.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't know what it means for him not to be able to break into the starting lineup on a team like Dallas. Not having premier talent is a no brainer. Whether he can play in a traditional 4-3 is unknown. He hasn't been tried there. It does appear he would be better there.

If he can't beat Akin out then that's telling. Not saying Akin is bad but he isn't premier talent either.

He just doesn't fit in here. He can't lose enough weight to play safety and he wouldn't be fast enough if he did. His only hope here is to put on some weight and get physical enough to play ILB. He can't play well enough to be an OLB here.

He's a bust for a first round pick. First time I've ever said that. Hope I'm wrong. Nice kid.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1752443 said:
Looks like someone would be smart enough to put him where he would perform the best!

He is where he performs best - the bench.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
everyone forgets that in a Parcells' 3-4, the OLBs are only asked to rush the passer 30% of the time, the rest is devoted to stopping the run, and coverage

a role Carp is best suited for

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jobberone;1752795 said:
He's a bust for a first round pick. First time I've ever said that. Hope I'm wrong. Nice kid.

he's been in the league for 24 games and came into the league coming off a broken leg...he also is playing hurt right now and his injury isnt going to heal until the offseason

its too early to say he is a bust, I think next yr we'll know more about him

David

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Too bad it isn't working out for Carpenter....

On the day Carpenter was drafted, Parcells and Jones were already lowering expectations on Carpenter ... saying that they weren't drafting a star, but a steady, solid player.

That lowering of expectations bit is usually a bad sign.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1752443 said:
Looks like someone would be smart enough to put him where he would perform the best!

Been saying it for 2 years running. Carp can't play inside. He's an OLB / DE pass rusher that can't cover. He is at best the 5th best OLB on our team. Parcells was trying to "find a role" for him moving him inside.

I agree, you read thru Wade's comments - and its he's a good kid, he tries, he does all the right things. (But is not a NFL linebacker)

Hope it works out for him comment - what a silent dagger.
Listen to what coaches say and don't say. Wade just confirmed my fears on Carp.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1752843 said:
he's been in the league for 24 games and came into the league coming off a broken leg...he also is playing hurt right now and his injury isnt going to heal until the offseason

its too early to say he is a bust, I think next yr we'll know more about him

David

I'm that close to saying that was a total poor pick #18 in first round. Kid can't see the field.

We can merit and debate excuses for his poor showings to date. You want impact players mid 1st.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors;1752941 said:
I'm that close to saying that was a total poor pick #18 in first round. Kid can't see the field.

We can merit and debate excuses for his poor showings to date. You want impact players mid 1st.

what poor showings? when he was healthy last yr and finally got on the field in December and January he looked like a good player

he got hurt early in preseason and hasnt been the same since, and wont be till next yr

David

dwmyers

Reaction score
jobberone;1752795 said:
I don't know what it means for him not to be able to break into the starting lineup on a team like Dallas. Not having premier talent is a no brainer. Whether he can play in a traditional 4-3 is unknown. He hasn't been tried there. It does appear he would be better there.

If he can't beat Akin out then that's telling. Not saying Akin is bad but he isn't premier talent either.

He just doesn't fit in here. He can't lose enough weight to play safety and he wouldn't be fast enough if he did. His only hope here is to put on some weight and get physical enough to play ILB. He can't play well enough to be an OLB here.

I'm sure New Orleans would take him ;).

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
We lost a Fullback to injury last week. Try him there!! Or put him in at "tackle eligible" stuff. Like the Pats do with their linebacker.
What the hell, we spent a high draft pick on a guy whose OBVIOUSLY not a fit and on "the way out".
This was a "Parcells Family Pick". Only thing though........MB3 not only "worked out", but is one of the top 4 running backs in the league. Barber and Carpenter were Parcells "crony/family/lineage" picks.
Barber is a monster ALL PRO. Carpenter will end up with Oakland, Minnesota, Miami, and finish his career in 2011 with the Texans....................

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like we have another Al Singleton on the team. A solid, weakside 4-3 coverage OLB who lacks the pass rush skills and physical style to excel in the 3-4 scheme.

And like Al, I expect Carpenter to be on the way out of town next year.

Cincinnati is desparate for linebackers (and defense in general), so maybe they could be a trade partner next year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I like Carpenter, but he's not a good fit for Wade's D IMO, he's a Parcells' OLB

he should be a weak-side ILB in this D because his skills allow him to potentially play side-line to sideline very well, but unfortunately, he's stuck behind Bradie James

his future here doesn't look too bright, and it's a shame, he's a good athlete, maybe a trade as stasharoo stated is the way to go

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1752958 said:
what poor showings? when he was healthy last yr and finally got on the field in December and January he looked like a good player

he got hurt early in preseason and hasnt been the same since, and wont be till next yr

David

Thanks for making my point - excuses on non performance.
Poor production 2 years in on a mid 1st rounder.

Phillips said it all today -

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;1753072 said:
Seems like we have another Al Singleton on the team. A solid, weakside 4-3 coverage OLB who lacks the pass rush skills and physical style to excel in the 3-4 scheme.

And like Al, I expect Carpenter to be on the way out of town next year.

Cincinnati is desparate for linebackers (and defense in general), so maybe they could be a trade partner next year.

:bow:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Am I the only one sick of Nors' agenda driven posts?

Things were so much better here w/o him. Just stating a fact.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1752445 said:
We are protecting him from injury so that we could package with our first round picks for McFadden. ;)

DUDE.......YOU READ MY MIND, SERIOUSLY.

I WAS TALKING WITH MY BROTHER TONIGHT AT DINNER AND WE WERE DISCUSSING HOW TO GET MCFADDEN. I SAID THE BOYZ NEEDED TO THROW IN CARPENTER AND BOTH ONES FOR MIAMI TO TRADE US THE TOP PICK.

WE ARE ON THE SAME WAVE LENGHT HERE DUDE;)