Interesting Thoughts From Nate Newton About Left Guard

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
And Wade said in his PC tonight that Berger has had as good a camp as any of the young OL.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
That might be bad news for procter. I know procter was told to get as many reps at center as he could.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Nate was saying something like this today on ESPN.

Maybe it's that Kosier just doesn't fit the 'road grader' style Hudson Houck loves.

Whatever is best for the Running game is where I am at on the offensive line. It has to be more consistent this season.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Yes, and his younger brother is a stud Center in college at Webber State. They say Cheese is much better than his older brother.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
According to McMahon, they've added Doug Free to the mix at left guard now. Kosier is looking over his shoulder, and rightfully so.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I almost prefer to have the same starting five, but never if it means someone is flat out getting out performed. Play the best 5 on the OL.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let the best man win. If Berger is better so be it.

I don't think anyone would argue that Kosier was the weakest link of the o-line last year.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dcfanatic;2169254 said:
Nate was saying something like this today on ESPN.

Maybe it's that Kosier just doesn't fit the 'road grader' style Hudson Houck loves.

Whatever is best for the Running game is where I am at on the offensive line. It has to be more consistent this season.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Houck likes road graders for the game and that was never Kosiers strong point.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;2169258 said:
According to McMahon, they've added Doug Free to the mix at left guard now. Kosier is looking over his shoulder, and rightfully so.

Whatever happened to all that talk about McQuistan moving to Guard?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Its funny, miami needs a tackle. Kosier can play tackle if he had to.

If he doesnt find a role here he will end up there. If marten or mcquistan do not find a role here this summer they will end up in miami.

I hope kosier and marten play well personally. I dont think kosier is as bad as people portray.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
This is good news, in my opinion. Perhap Kosier could fill a John Gesek-type role as a swing linemen. Gesek excelled in that role, and his contributions were very important as he was often called upon to fill in for prolongued periods of time.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I think Kosier is serviceable, but some more power on the inside would be ideal.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I see this and i say great! We could have quality depth at this position...it's all good !

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's about time we started hearing more about our backup o-linemen.

BrAinPaiNt;2169265 said:
I don't think anyone would argue that Kosier was the weakest link of the o-line last year.

BrAinPaiNt;2169267 said:
Houck likes road graders for the game and that was never Kosiers strong point.
Perfectly said.

If it's true we want to get more serious with the running game, Berger may have a shot at taking over.

sago1

Reaction score
Nate was very impressed with Berger and he's talking with HHouck. Berger, a young player we signed off somebody else's PS, is really pushing Kosier. If Kosier does lose his job to Berger, I really doubt we cut or trade him. One of the problems with our young backups right now is that none of them have real game experienceis essentially none of them have real game experience. So if Kosier loses LG battle, he'd still be valuable cause of his lengthy game experience at several positions.

Also very impressed with Free. This kid's definitely got LT starter potential.

Reaction score
sago1;2169349 said:
Nate was very impressed with Berger and he's talking with HHouck. Berger, a young player we signed off somebody else's PS, is really pushing Kosier. If Kosier does lose his job to Berger, I really doubt we cut or trade him. One of the problems with our young backups right now is that none of them have real game experienceis essentially none of them have real game experience. So if Kosier loses LG battle, he'd still be valuable cause of his lengthy game experience at several positions.

Also very impressed with Free. This kid's definitely got LT starter potential.

Yep, Free is is definitely a left or right tackle... I believe it's a win/win situation for Dallas honestly.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theebs;2169271 said:
Its funny, miami needs a tackle. Kosier can play tackle if he had to.

If he doesnt find a role here he will end up there. If marten or mcquistan do not find a role here this summer they will end up in miami.

I hope kosier and marten play well personally. I dont think kosier is as bad as people portray.

Kosier is rock solid. Hes not going to be a road grader like Bigg or Andrews but he is good in pass protection and hes steady in the run game. The thing I like about him is as a backup he can play both guards spots or tackle in a pinch. he would make the ultimate backup and really put pressure on Proctor to even be needed.

As for Berger according to Burnett he is one of the five strongest players on the roster.

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2169332 said:
I see this and i say great! We could have quality depth at this position...it's all good !

Really when was the last time we had quality starters and quality backups also?