Interesting Thoughts From Nate Newton About Left Guard

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2169991 said:
Very few guards blow people up. I kind of laugh and shake my head when I read game charting analysis from people like Grizz who aren't happy unless O-Linemen are pancaking defenders left and right and getting to the 2nd and 3rd level. It just doesn't happen that much at all unless your a gargatuan guard that can destroy people at times or if you're extremely technical and athletic and can turn defenders out of the way and get to the second level like Steve Hutchinson. Even that doesn't happen very often for Hutchinson and a lot of those gargatuan guards aren't always that good because they are often too big.

I like Nate, but he usually is talking out of his arse more often than not.

Here's the rankings of Dallas' running behind LT according to FO.com over the years:

YEAR.......................RANK

2003........................8th
2004........................9th
2005........................27th
2006........................2nd
2007........................9th

So Kosier has done quite well for Dallas.

I could somewhat believe Nate if Berger was much bigger than Kosier because that's the type of O-Lineman Hudson Houck prefers, but the two are about the same exact height and weight.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Berger be good enough to beat Kosier out for the starting position because Kosier turns 30 in November and Berger just turned 26 years old, but Kosier has been a very solid guard for the Cowboys and Berger is a complete unknown former undrafted free agent. So it's kind of something to not get your hopes up over, but to not really worry too much about as well. Unless you're Nors and think that keeping Berger spells doom for Dallas.

YAKUZA

How does stats running behind Flozell have to do with Kosier? Where are the stats for runs behind LG or behind center or something that gives better context. All those stats tell me is that Flo is good which isnt exactly a revelation.

Then there is the whole issue of Wade Phillips agreeing with what Nate is saying in his pressers.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2171591 said:
How does stats running behind Flozell have to do with Kosier? Where are the stats for runs behind LG or behind center or something that gives better context. All those stats tell me is that Flo is good which isnt exactly a revelation.

Then there is the whole issue of Wade Phillips agreeing with what Nate is saying in his pressers.

Without knowing how each specific play is drawn up there is no way to know how each player has done on a play.

Runs to the left side could involve the C and RG even the RT. And it likely involves the LOT most of the time. The C is probably involved as well. Runs to a side only gives you an approximate idea of how you're doing. Unless you know the play and have the appropriate film to study it, you are only going to be able to generalize.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
jobberone;2171692 said:
Without knowing how each specific play is drawn up there is no way to know how each player has done on a play.

Runs to the left side could involve the C and RG even the RT. And it likely involves the LOT most of the time. The C is probably involved as well. Runs to a side only gives you an approximate idea of how you're doing. Unless you know the play and have the appropriate film to study it, you are only going to be able to generalize.

Exactly. It's the same thing for defensive back "metrics". Yet people will continue to drag them out as proof of something.

You might be able to get a general idea, in some cases, but I don't think stats or metrics on OL or DBs will ever be very accurate unless done by the coaching staff that knows the assignments for the players they are grading.