Internal answer while Gallup's out?

jrumann59

Reaction score
If the Cowboys figure out during the season that they screwed up by trading Cooper they may end up having to make another trade during the season for a WR. In 2008 they made an in season trade for Roy Williams when they were struggling at WR. That trade didn’t work out. Everyone remembers the trade for Cooper during the 2018 season when we were struggling at receiver and that did work out. We appear to have left ourselves in another precarious situation at WR entering the 2022 season.
Exactly and the last two times that happened who was the QB. Yes Dez was declining but I seem to remember they did not want a WR chirping in his ear to get the ball. And poof he was cut

cowboyec

Reaction score
Definitely. I’m talking about the short term. If Gallup is sidelined for a while, our WR corps will be very inexperienced. Even CeeDee has never really proven he can be an effective #1. So you’re gonna hope that CeeDee can step into a #1 role and a rookie can step into a #2 role. There’s a lot of unknowns there.
agreed.
i'll bet on the talent/potential there.
i think james washington just needed more opportunities.
i like him in that ced role.
tolbert was one of my favorite receivers in this draft.
love his size and style of play.
i think he'll do well here.
but no doubt...things will settle down once gallup returns.
and there is the chance that the new guys bust.
i still like this group and think their talent will win the day.
win a championship?...we'll see.

cowboyec

Reaction score
This calls for creative thinking and imagination from the Cowboys, when was the last time you saw that? McC once converted a WR to RB out of necessity but he had more control in GB than he does here.
he's been pretty creative here.
moving zack martin in game to ot.
using mcgovern in the fb role.
going with an udfa in terrence steele his first year here because in the words of the hc...he earned it.
none of those things would've happened under garrett.
im not saying mccarthy has been landry creative...
but creative none the less...or at least willing to try anything.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Not recommending this necessarily, but it occurs to me that Pollard came into the league considered a hybrid RB/WR by many.

Count me as one of those uncomfortable with going from Cooper/Gallup/Lamb as our primary 3 receivers to Lamb/3rd Rd Draft Pick/Replacement-Level FA to start the year. So, I'm pretty firmly in the camp of those who want to see another addition to the WR room, maybe a Cole Beasley or a Keelan Cole.

But let's say that doesn't happen.

Think KM would look to incorporate Pollard more into the passing game as a receiver. Not suggesting he would be a full-time receiver, but that perhaps the idea would be to fill the Gallup void "by committee," with Pollard being a prominent member of that committee.... ??? (Yes, that's a question, not a statement wrapped in a question. :) )
Oh please. I don’t get why people keep slurping pollard. He’s not what you think. He’s the new Troy hambrick.

nobody

Reaction score
13d.gif

_sturt_

Reaction score
Think KM would look to incorporate Pollard more into the passing game as a receiver. Not suggesting he would be a full-time receiver, but that perhaps the idea would be to fill the Gallup void "by committee," with Pollard being a prominent member of that committee.... ??? (Yes, that's a question, not a statement wrapped in a question. :) )

LWR_Recording.png

slurping pollard

... at least in this universe. Maybe yours. I wouldn't know.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I hope Gallup only misses 3-4 games. I'm thinking more like 6-8.

True.

Though... even 3-4 games seem a whole lot smaller when it's this side of a season, a whole lot more when it's Week 15, and you're mad as hell as you look back and figure you could be another win or two to the better. Just sayin.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I hope he’s out at least 8 so Tolbert can shine. He’s faster and looks like a more complete route runner.

Fryfogle is good, so are the others under Tolbert at this point, like Drummond.

Look out for pretty much all of them, except for one, who I thought was a little soft compared to the others.

We've got some good guys there, though. Way better than Cole, who couldn't sniff Tolbert's jock strap.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
until gallup returns...
wr1 ceedee
wr2 jalen tolbert
wr3 james washington
curious to see how tj vasher looks this pre-season.
also think udfa dontario drummond will make a run at one of those wr spots on the 53.
liked him at ole miss.
and i'd love to see pollard get some snaps in the slot or in some kamakaze 4 wr set.
use him.
good receiver as well as a helluva rb.

Vasher looks good. So does Fehoko, Fryfogle, Roberson, Vasher, Drummond, even Brandon Smith...

One of those guys will find a way to help us early this year.

Has to. Too much talent there not to.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If we're smart, we'll use Pollard in a hybrid role where he can line up at receiver, take or fake the jet sweep, shift into the backfield, etc. He needs more touches, but he's not going to get many more than he has at running back, so this would utilize one of our better offensive players without having to overly rely on a rookie receiver or give Washington a bigger role than he can handle.

Totally agree on more touches for Pollard, and maybe even a unique role for when he's in the game. Give him more touches, and the defense has to prepare for two players, which takes more time and they can't dedicate practice game-planning for one player. This helps everyone, including Zeke, and gives us more stability in the run game rather than just leaning on Zeke, Zeke, Zeke.

Homeboy is eating too much.

You can see it: every time he finishes running, he's back to eating.

So stop feeding him too much.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This calls for creative thinking and imagination from the Cowboys, when was the last time you saw that? McC once converted a WR to RB out of necessity but he had more control in GB than he does here.

When we made Troy Hambrick a better running back than Emmitt Smiff, because we held on to Emmitt too long.

He was eating too much, too.

Flamma

Reaction score
Oh please. I don’t get why people keep slurping pollard. He’s not what you think. He’s the new Troy hambrick.

Good lord, I'm not a huge Pollard fan either, but Troy Hambrick was half this dudes speed.

ESisback

Reaction score
The first two problems are the QB and RB.

I think it was a combination—a smidge of each:
1)OL—injuries and lack of continuity
2)OC—improper playcalling and adjustments.
3)RB—Zeke injured, Pollard underutilized.
4)QB—poor play, mostly because of injury and #1, 2 and 3.
5)Defense—gashed in running game.

Plenty of blame to go around, although they still managed 12-5 and NFCE.