Internal answer while Gallup's out?

_sturt_

Reaction score
how did that work out

Maybe someone can help me find the stat on how many times he lined up as a WR in 2021 (?)... all I see to inform the question (which I of course take as just a sincere, intellectually honest one)... is 46 targets in 2021... 40 in 2020.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Are we trying to create the perception that with only Lamb, Washington and Tolbert that Prescott is somehow short handed?

"Create?"

You mean, like we're not supposed to measure the wide receiver room for 2022 against 2021?... or, that we're supposed to think they're equivalent? Um. Wut?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not recommending this necessarily, but it occurs to me that Pollard came into the league considered a hybrid RB/WR by many.

Count me as one of those uncomfortable with going from Cooper/Gallup/Lamb as our primary 3 receivers to Lamb/3rd Rd Draft Pick/Replacement-Level FA to start the year. So, I'm pretty firmly in the camp of those who want to see another addition to the WR room, maybe a Cole Beasley or a Keelan Cole.

But let's say that doesn't happen.

Think KM would look to incorporate Pollard more into the passing game as a receiver. Not suggesting he would be a full-time receiver, but that perhaps the idea would be to fill the Gallup void "by committee," with Pollard being a prominent member of that committee.... ??? (Yes, that's a question, not a statement wrapped in a question. :) )

If we're smart, we'll use Pollard in a hybrid role where he can line up at receiver, take or fake the jet sweep, shift into the backfield, etc. He needs more touches, but he's not going to get many more than he has at running back, so this would utilize one of our better offensive players without having to overly rely on a rookie receiver or give Washington a bigger role than he can handle.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t even see a possibility of Pollard being used as a WR. He and Zeke will continue to rotate at RB. We’ll be counting on the rookie, Noah Brown and the other WRs we have.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don’t even see a possibility of Pollard being used as a WR.

Um. He's been used as a WR before. Not a lot. But he has. So, why would you decide to not use him at all when the WR room is less proven? Dunno. I began this thread just throwing out a topic for conversation, but I'm discovering that it's probably more reasonable than not to presume Kellen's got this in-mind.

Jarntt

Reaction score
We have our #1 and whomever makes the squad from last year's team plus Washington and our 3rd Rounder. We are also paying our TE who is almost a quasi receiver $11M per year so he can be expected to shoulder some of the workload as well. If it's more than a couple of games I may change my thoughts, but for 2 maybe 3 games I don't see a big issue.

And no to Pollard. Maybe use him more in the passing game, but I don't see us lining him up as a WR other than maybe splitting him out wide or lining him up in the slot a few times per game (which we already do with our RBs)

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
your post already has the usual excuses built into it

“plays well”

all great QBs are judged on their post season success. Tgat is a fact. Yet Dak homies want to judge him based on his stat padding

how about we agree right that if Dak leads us to the NFCCG in 2022 (I’m not even saying win it) I will agree that Dak is a great QB and paid approximately but if he doesn’t you will agree that he’s just an overpaid mediocre QB?

Deal?

I bet you won’t agree and will find up with the usual excuses
I just enjoy the game and I don't worry about another man's money. I've never said that Dak is great or Elite, but the haters keep insisting that he sucks because they can't live vicariously through him or don't accomplish enough of their own to be happy. I don't make excuses for players, but I don't hate on them either.....insecurity is a bad thing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Are we trying to create the perception that with only Lamb, Washington and Tolbert that Prescott is somehow short handed?

Aaron Rodgers would love to have that trio.
I'm not at all trying to beat on Prescott here, but what's the sense of being loaded at WR cap space wise when he will struggle to get them all the ball anyway?

This guy needs a big time running game, and if his career thus far doesn't prove that I dont know what will.

The difference between you and I is that I still hold out hope we can win with him, but I know damn well that's not gonna happen by featuring him as a passer.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ll offer you the same deal as I did to Ranched above

I bet you chicken out just like he will

you Dak homies live talking out of both sides of your mouth
Chicken out! That's easy to say from your basement.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Not getting the impression that some of us are on the same page on Washington.

We all love a great comeback story, but going from 10 starts in 2019 to 7 in 2020 to just 2 in 2021???

Just facing facts, that's not ordinarily one of the resume' lines you want to see for someone you're depending on to start the first 3-6 games of the season... cognizant that the first 3-6 games of the season count in the W/L record as much as games 15-17.

Content with Tolbert, assuming he lives up to the scouting report and optimism. It's reasonable to pencil him in until evidence in preseason would suggest otherwise.

Washington, not so much.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Um. He's been used as a WR before. Not a lot. But he has. So, why would you decide to not use him at all when the WR room is less proven? Dunno. I began this thread just throwing out a topic for conversation, but I'm discovering that it's probably more reasonable than not to presume Kellen's got this in-mind.

You’re suggesting Pollard as Gallup’s replacement as our number two receiver.and that’s not happening! There’s several reasons why not to use him. Pollard isn’t even close to being a number two WR. There’s a lot that goes into playing that position. Plus we just drafted a WR in the third round who some think is a pretty good young receiver. Another reason we can’t use Pollard as the number two receiver is because he has to split carries with Zeke. We can’t be giving Zeke the full load of carries at this stage in his career and Pollard is the more explosive, elusive back. He gives us some big play ability at the RB position and as a receiver out of the back field.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Not suggesting he would be a full-time receiver, but that perhaps the idea would be to fill the Gallup void "by committee," with Pollard being a prominent member of that committee.... ???

You’re suggesting Pollard as Gallup’s replacement as our number two receiver.and that’s not happening!

(Always wise to read the OP before assuming one knows the mind of the OP-er.)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
(Always wise to read the OP before assuming one knows the mind of the OP-er.)

Again you’re suggesting using Pollard as a Michael Gallup replacement until he returns. It doesn’t matter if it’s by committee he’s not the answer at that position. Having to use him in a rotation to replace Gallup would verify the Cowboys screwed themselves at WR by trading away Cooper. We can’t have Pollard moving around from WR to RB during games. He has to be kept fresh to be effective at RB. He has an important role in our RB rotation.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Again you’re suggesting using Pollard as a Michael Gallup replacement until he returns. It doesn’t matter if it’s by committee he’s not the answer at that position.

Yes... "a"... replacement... which is different from your previous presumption (grace extended to you for the mis-read) that it was "Gallup's replacement as our #2 receiver."

It does matter if it's by committee because that's not that much different from what he's done previously... and because "by committee" means he's still getting RB snaps... and because it's already been a stated goal to give Pollard more touches, but at the same time not necessarily at the price of Zeke's absence.

Having to use him in a rotation to replace Gallup would verify the Cowboys screwed themselves at WR by trading away Cooper.

You're welcome to that opinion, but it's neither here nor there... as-if people aren't going to have that opinion regardless, or more to the point, as-if people won't find some criticism regardless. It's the Cowboys. If you're letting fear of fan opinion dictate how you develop game plans and use players, you're already screwed... because there is little consensus anyhow.

Your premise would appear to be that Pollard isn't a credible WR. I hear you. But hear (per the reference earlier in this thread) that McC and Quinn consider Pollard a credible WR... argue with them. And while you're at it, argue with the 46 targets, a slight increase over 40 in 2020.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
until gallup returns...
wr1 ceedee
wr2 jalen tolbert
wr3 james washington
curious to see how tj vasher looks this pre-season.
also think udfa dontario drummond will make a run at one of those wr spots on the 53.
liked him at ole miss.
and i'd love to see pollard get some snaps in the slot or in some kamakaze 4 wr set.
use him.
good receiver as well as a helluva rb.

That's about right....that's why i see Schultz having his best year ever...and that's not a good thing. Dak's crutch.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes... "a"... replacement... which is different from your previous presumption (grace extended to you for the mis-read) that it was "Gallup's replacement as our #2 receiver."

It does matter if it's by committee because that's not that much different from what he's done previously... and because "by committee" means he's still getting RB snaps... and because it's already been a stated goal to give Pollard more touches, but at the same time not necessarily at the price of Zeke's absence.

You're welcome to that opinion, but it's neither here nor there... as-if people aren't going to have that opinion regardless, or more to the point, as-if people won't find some criticism regardless. It's the Cowboys. If you're letting fear of fan opinion dictate how you develop game plans and use players, you're already screwed... because there is little consensus anyhow.

I didn’t miss read anything you’re suggesting using Pollard as a “replacement” for Michael Gallup. Even using him in a rotation with other receivers would be a lot different than what he’s been doing. He can’t play RB and be a primary WR. We have to settle on a number two WR until Gallup returns. The Cowboys will figure that out in training camp and preseason.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No team rotates number two WRs during a game, especially with an RB. You’re really screwed up if you’re having to do that. If you don’t have a receiver you can count on to play that position then you’re in trouble entering the season. Not having Amari Cooper is going to create a big problem for the Cowboys. Most think Gallup will start the season on PUP. He’ll miss several games if that happens. When he returns he’s not likely to be back to form after missing all that time. It usually takes a receiver a full year to recover from an ACL and return to form. There’s rumors the Cowboys were trying to move up in the first round of the draft for a WR. If that’s true then they’re very concerned about their WR position