'iPhone vs Android' report finds Apple has three times Google's market share

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
10x0606menasmarkshare.jpg

It's oftentimes easy for us to get swept up in Android mania and forget that Google's mobile platform is still in its infancy. Then we get cold hard numbers like these -- showing iPhone OS owning 28 percent of the US smartphone market and closing in on RIM's leading 35 percent -- and we face up to the realization that Android handsets still account for less than one in every ten smartphones owned by Americans today. In spite of collecting 28 percent of all consumer smartphone purchases in the first quarter of 2010 (according to NPD), Google's OS was only able to climb up a couple of percentage points in terms of total market share, showing just how long a road lies ahead of its world-conquering plans. Guess that now explains why Apple's response to the earlier numbers was so nonchalant.

Other intriguing figures include a high rate of loyalty among iPhone OS and Android users, with 80 percent of the former and 70 percent of the latter expressing a preference for the same OS in their next phone -- both rather shaming Microsoft and RIM's numbers, which were a mediocre 34 and 47 percent, respectively. Funnily enough, despite its inflammatory title, this report finds Android and iPhone users are more similar to each other than anyone else -- an uncomfortable fact for both parties to deal with, we're sure. The source link contains some more demographic comparisons, so why not go check them out and drop some sage analysis for us in the comments?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/05/iphone-vs-android-report-finds-apple-has-three-times-googles/

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Saw this and had to post to get nyc's reaction. Surely Android will gain ground on the iPhone in the next quarter. Oops! No they won't because the new iPhone is getting announced Monday morning. Perhaps they'll finish out the year with more market share. Oops! No they won't because there are reports that the iPhone will be opened up to other cellular networks this Fall.

Or maybe they'll gain over time due to higher customer retention. Oops, no they won't. Fewer Android users (70% vs. Apple's 80%) wish to buy a phone with the same OS in their next phone. Or surely Android outgained Apple in obtaining new market share in the 1st quarter. Oops, no they didn't (both gained 2% market share).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
World-wide market share:

idc050710.jpg

This means Google has less than 1/4 of Apple's world-wide market share (though I suspect it's much, much less).

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The main reason that the iPhone has maintained its popularity is due to the App store and iTunes. However, the Android App store is growing very quickly and Google is working on a music service and software system to compete directly with iTunes. When you combine that with Apple's continued exclusive sales agreement with AT&T, I suspect Android phone sales will overtake the iPhone within a couple of years.

Just like MP3 player manufacturers, Android phone manufacturers have failed to grasp that you not only need a very well designed phone and user interface but also the software and media catalog to support it. Over the next year, the Android app store and iTunes music alternative software will help solve that.

However, I suspect the major infusion of Android apps will come from the major rush of android tablet powered devices that will enter the iPad market over the next year.

-Reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to add that I have long been an Apple fan but they are going to need to adjust their attitudes somewhat on format support if they hope to continue to grow and maintain their position in the market.

Apple was smart to add MP3 support to iPods long ago. If they had restricted iPods to only playing M4P music files, we would be calling all portable music devices MP3 players still instead of iPods these days. I regularly hear people refer to non-iPods as "iPods" just like "Xerox" was used for page copies long ago. The reasons Windows and Linux OS's continue to control a large marketshare of computers is because of Apple's limitation of only supporting OS/X on their own hardware. I personally like Apple computers and would still buy them from Apple but it does limit their market reach having a closed operating system.

AppleTV would have revolutionized the home entertainment market but not supporting AVI, XVid, DivX, etc. was a huge mistake. Now there are a lot of entertainment boxes out there along with the upcoming GoogleTV device that will make it much harder for Apple to obtain a significant market share. Throw in BluRay players supporting Netflix streaming and media support as well and that uphill battle gets even tougher for Apple.

People want options .. Apple was able to dominate the portable music market because of the iPod's trendy design and massive storage space and iTunes huge music catalog at a time when competition was non-existent. It was the same reason the iPhone came to dominate the cellphone market especially with the incredible success of the Apple App store.

-Reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;3425497 said:
I thought you were cool, Reality. Not the captain of SS Nerdo.

Haven't you heard, Bob? N3rdz are tEh k3wl N 2010!! :D :D

-Reality

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Reality;3425480 said:
The main reason that the iPhone has maintained its popularity is due to the App store and iTunes. However, the Android App store is growing very quickly and Google is working on a music service and software system to compete directly with iTunes.
While it may be the "main" reason, it's certainly not the "only" reason. And I seriously doubt that Google will ever overcome them in either the apps or music category -- largely because Apple has the first mover advantage.

It's a bit like the Xbox vs. Playstation rivalry, in that Playstation 2 had the advantage on Xbox because it was out earlier and attracted more gamers and developers earlier, but the Xbox 360 was the first mover in its generation and thus has enjoyed more success than the Playstation 3.

Google has so much ground to cover with both apps and music, it seems almost insurmountable.

Reality;3425494 said:
People want options .. Apple was able to dominate the portable music market because of the iPod's trendy design and massive storage space and iTunes huge music catalog at a time when competition was non-existent. It was the same reason the iPhone came to dominate the cellphone market especially with the incredible success of the Apple App store.
Actually, Apple has faced competition from a variety of sources for a long time in the portable music market and no one has even been able to make a dent. Just because there isn't an equal competitor out there now doesn't mean that people didn't try.

Also, Apple was considered a latecomer to the already developing smartphone market, but they've been able to barge in and become dominant. So it's not about consumers not having a choice. It's about Apple simply making better products.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Sooner or later Apple is going to run out of hippies and 14 year old girls.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;3426338 said:
Sooner or later Apple is going to run out of hippies and 14 year old girls.
People under 17 make up less than 5% of iPhone users (which obviously makes sense, because relatively fewer "teenagers" are allowed to carry cell phones). The iPhone's largest demographic segment is males aged 35 to 54. iPhone users actually skew older than Andriod users.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
While visiting SOCAL last week, I found it VERY irritating even moreso that Apple doesn't support FLASH on the device.

I really do hate that Jobs made that decision. REDONKULOUS!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;3426182 said:
While it may be the "main" reason, it's certainly not the "only" reason. And I seriously doubt that Google will ever overcome them in either the apps or music category -- largely because Apple has the first mover advantage.

It's a bit like the Xbox vs. Playstation rivalry, in that Playstation 2 had the advantage on Xbox because it was out earlier and attracted more gamers and developers earlier, but the Xbox 360 was the first mover in its generation and thus has enjoyed more success than the Playstation 3.

Google has so much ground to cover with both apps and music, it seems almost insurmountable.
That's just it .. Google doesn't have to do any of this. Android is open as well as the app store will be. Apple strictly controls the iPhone, its OS and the App store and constantly removes apps from the App store any time they decide they want to offer the same feature themselves. The openness of Android means a LOT of people (aka: an army) will be fighting against Apple's dominance. Normally, first-in-market secures your position, but not in this case.

Actually, Apple has faced competition from a variety of sources for a long time in the portable music market and no one has even been able to make a dent. Just because there isn't an equal competitor out there now doesn't mean that people didn't try.

The main thing that kept the iPod the king of portable music players is iTunes. While other music sources like Amazon are great especially selling portable MP3-based music, no company has been able to offer a full package of an impressive music player, powerful music management software and online store in iTunes all integrated together.

Also, Apple was considered a latecomer to the already developing smartphone market, but they've been able to barge in and become dominant. So it's not about consumers not having a choice. It's about Apple simply making better products.

I agree and as I said, I am an Apple fan. However, unlike PC-vs-MAC, the cost to switch from iPhone to Android-powered phones is not insurmountable for average people and unless Apple gets out of their exclusive contract with AT&T very soon, android phones will eat into the iPhone's market share in the near future.

I like Apple and have been a Steve Jobs fan since the early 80s, but I see some issues for Apple if they don't get a little more open with their strategies. They could really hurt the android movement if they could sell iPhones through other carriers. There are a lot of people who want iPhones but not bad enough to switch to AT&T.

-Reality

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Reality;3426353 said:
That's just it .. Google doesn't have to do any of this. Android is open as well as the app store will be. Apple strictly controls the iPhone, its OS and the App store and constantly removes apps from the App store any time they decide they want to offer the same feature themselves. The openness of Android means a LOT of people (aka: an army) will be fighting against Apple's dominance. Normally, first-in-market secures your position, but not in this case.

The main thing that kept the iPod the king of portable music players is iTunes. While other music sources like Amazon are great especially selling portable MP3-based music, no company has been able to offer a full package of an impressive music player, powerful music management software and online store in iTunes all integrated together.

I agree and as I said, I am an Apple fan. However, unlike PC-vs-MAC, the cost to switch from iPhone to Android-powered phones is not insurmountable for average people and unless Apple gets out of their exclusive contract with AT&T very soon, android phones will eat into the iPhone's market share in the near future.

I like Apple and have been a Steve Jobs fan since the early 80s, but I see some issues for Apple if they don't get a little more open with their strategies. They could really hurt the android movement if they could sell iPhones through other carriers. There are a lot of people who want iPhones but not bad enough to switch to AT&T.

-Reality
Perhaps the obsessive control by Apples will eventually lead to a worse product, but up 'til now, I think it's hard to argue that it hasn't led to a much better product as compared to what else is out there.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
theogt;3426345 said:
People under 17 make up less than 5% of iPhone users (which obviously makes sense, because relatively fewer "teenagers" are allowed to carry cell phones). The iPhone's largest demographic segment is males aged 35 to 54. iPhone users actually skew older than Andriod users.

They get you when you sleep,,,

;)

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;3426355 said:
Perhaps the obsessive control by Apples will eventually lead to a worse product, but up 'til now, I think it's hard to argue that it hasn't led to a much better product as compared to what else is out there.

Again, I never stated this and have said I am an Apple fan as I own several of their products. However, I do not own an iPhone for example because I do not want to switch to AT&T which is horrible in my area. As such, I'm seriously considering an android powered phone because of it. Would I rather have an iPhone? Absolutely, but Apple's limited market is hurting them.

Take for example the new iPhones coming out at WWDC this week .. unless they announce Verizon (or other carriers) will begin offering iPhones, how many NEW iPhone customers do you think they'll get? Very few simply because most people who use AT&T and want an iPhone already have one. Of course people will upgrade to the newest iPhone and that will help generate new revenue, but the iPhone market share will not increase very much as long as they are limited to one carrier in the US.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Why would it bother me if iPhone OS is still larger than the Android market share?

The iPhone was released almost a year and a half before Android. At that Android's first release (G1) was not a very good one so you practically have to give the iPhone 2 1/2 year lead if you only consider Android 2.x releases. Today Android has improved so much that it is a direct competitor to the iPhone. Both phones have some things it's better at than the other, but the biggest is the fact that Android isn't completely locked down in every fashion.

There is a reason Android's market share is doubling every quarter. At some point, it will catch the iPhone.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Oh no, the iPhone, which came out in 2007 has a larger market share then the Android, which came out a year later.

In other news, the sun will rise today :laugh2: .