'iPhone vs Android' report finds Apple has three times Google's market share

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Carry the new slim iPhone 4 or the boat anchor HTC android phone?

Anyone?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Dallas;3428147 said:
Carry the new slim iPhone 4 or the boat anchor HTC android phone?

Anyone?

The difference in weight is 4.8 ounces vs 6 ounces. The dimensions are 4.5x2.31x0.37 vs 4.8x2.6x0.5. Yeah, the Evo is bigger, but it also has .8 inches more screen space.

I'd personally take the extra screen space, the higher megapixel camera, the HDMI out, the access to 4g in my area, the ability to use Flash, the actual unlimited data plan that Sprint offers, etc. But that's just me. :D

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I just got back from a vacation in Colorado and a friend had the new Incredible and one had the Droid. Those phones are pretty damn sweet. I like that a lot of the apps are free, unlike the iphone. I know you can jailbreak it but still.

Anyways, I decided to buy a Droid tomorrow.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ajk23az;3428317 said:
I just got back from a vacation in Colorado and a friend had the new Incredible and one had the Droid. Those phones are pretty damn sweet. I like that a lot of the apps are free, unlike the iphone. I know you can jailbreak it but still.

Anyways, I decided to buy a Droid tomorrow.
Huh? There are probably 50,000+ free apps for the iPhone. There aren't even 50,000 total apps for the Droid.

ajk23az

Reaction score
theogt;3428340 said:
Huh? There are probably 50,000+ free apps for the iPhone. There aren't even 50,000 total apps for the Droid.

What I meant was that a lot of the free apps on the Droid are ones that you would pay for on the iphone.

Plus, 40,000 of the those 50,000 free apps on the Iphone are complete junk and useless. I've got an iTouch, i know what apps are in there.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ajk23az;3428349 said:
What I meant was that a lot of the free apps on the Droid are ones that you would pay for on the iphone.

Plus, 40,000 of the those 50,000 free apps on the Iphone are complete junk and useless. I've got an iTouch, i know what apps are in there.
200,000+ apps vs. less than 50,000 apps.

You don't buy a Droid because of the apps.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
theogt;3428360 said:

Sure you do. The growth on the amount of apps available for the Android platform is exponential. It will eventually pass the amount of apps available for the iPhone just because so many phones and carriers will be using Android.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ozzu;3428455 said:
Sure you do. The growth on the amount of apps available for the Android platform is exponential. It will eventually pass the amount of apps available for the iPhone just because so many phones and carriers will be using Android.
You're assuming more phones will be using Android. That won't be the case for a long while, if ever. At best it won't happen within the next 3-5 years and if you're planning to buy a phone now, you don't plan for what the cell phone market is in 3-5 years. You base your decision on what is available now.

ajk23az

Reaction score
I also love the ability to be able to run more than one app at a time, unlike the Iphone. The Droid might have a ton less apps, but the ones that are important are on both already (or at least in a different form) so it doesnt really matter.

I don't know if the new iPhone is able to run more than one app though.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
ajk23az;3428583 said:
I also love the ability to be able to run more than one app at a time, unlike the Iphone. The Droid might have a ton less apps, but the ones that are important are on both already (or at least in a different form) so it doesnt really matter.

I don't know if the new iPhone is able to run more than one app though.

Apple introduced multi-tasking with iPhone 4.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
theogt;3428458 said:
You're assuming more phones will be using Android. That won't be the case for a long while, if ever. At best it won't happen within the next 3-5 years and if you're planning to buy a phone now, you don't plan for what the cell phone market is in 3-5 years. You base your decision on what is available now.

It won't take that long. It's only a matter of a few months.

From Wikipedia:
On 17 March 2009, there were about 2,300 applications available for download from the Android Market, according to T-Mobile chief technical officer Cole Brodman.[1]
By December 2009, there were over 20,000 applications available for download in the Android Market.[2]
By 8 June 2010, there were over 70,000 applications available for download in the Android Market. Recent months (in 2010) have shown an ever increasing growth rate, recently (in May 2010) surpassing 10,000 additional applications per month.[3]

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3428360 said:

Quantity doesn't mean quality. Out of 200,000 apps, I'm sure at an absolute minimum 175,000+ are complete and utter trash. (and you know this) There is probably LESS that 5,000 that aren't complete crap or regurgitations of some other existing app.

I'm sure there are more quality apps on iPhone than there is on Android at this point, but lets be clear about what is actually out there.

One thing I've noticed is Google's apps tend to be some of the best out there and Apple has a bad habit of rejecting them outright. (just like it rejects Flash)

Google has produced several great apps for Android. (Google Navigation, Google Sky, Google Maps, Google Googles, Google Voice, Google Earth, Google Finance, Google Talk, Google Latitude, Youtube, Buzz, and of course Gmail which completely syncs everything with your phone. (too and from)) Google apps are free and most are better than anything else you can get.

Google released full navigation. (Not *just* Google Maps) You don't have to buy any app to have it. It gives you turn-by-turn voice navigation not just showing you the route. It's 100% free. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know of no iPhone app that does that and is free that isn't complete crap. The ones I've seen cost money and the betters ones were quite expensive. (TomTom for iPhone: $99, MobileNavigator: $79.99, iGo: $55, AT&T Nav: Free, but $10/month to use) Google *was* going to release it for iPhone, but they backed off I believe they got the notion guess who was going to reject it. I'm betting Steve would reject it because his cut from the app would be ZERO. Since you can't get money out of nothing, might as well reject it and make your customers buy big expensive navigation apps.

Can't get cheaper than free. Especially when it's a quality app. One that Steve Jobs won't let iPhone users have.

I think Apples has some very cool products, it's just a shame it's being ran by a jerk.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Which App store has more junk? The one that let's anyone do just about anything -- or the one that employs a rigid, quality control approval process?

Hmmm...........tough call here.