'iPhone vs Android' report finds Apple has three times Google's market share

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Reality;3426370 said:
Again, I never stated this and have said I am an Apple fan as I own several of their products. However, I do not own an iPhone for example because I do not want to switch to AT&T which is horrible in my area. As such, I'm seriously considering an android powered phone because of it. Would I rather have an iPhone? Absolutely, but Apple's limited market is hurting them.

Take for example the new iPhones coming out at WWDC this week .. unless they announce Verizon (or other carriers) will begin offering iPhones, how many NEW iPhone customers do you think they'll get? Very few simply because most people who use AT&T and want an iPhone already have one. Of course people will upgrade to the newest iPhone and that will help generate new revenue, but the iPhone market share will not increase very much as long as they are limited to one carrier in the US.

This is the stuff that Steve Jobs has always done. He is an incredibly creative and talented man, but he is an absolute control freak. Thats why he locks everything down and why Apple fired him in the first place. It's also why NeXT failed. It's why he is going to push Apple to repeat it's failure in the 80s. He doesn't believe in giving the customers what they want. He gives the customers what he wants. Cool technology is completely controlled by Steve Jobs.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3426692 said:
Why would it bother me if iPhone OS is still larger than the Android market share?
I can't imagine why.

:laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3426696 said:
Oh no, the iPhone, which came out in 2007 has a larger market share then the Android, which came out a year later.

In other news, the sun will rise today :laugh2: .
FYI, there were reports earlier in the year that Android had "leapfrogged" the iPhone and Steve Jobs somewhat famously responded, "Not a chance." These results show those original reports were wrong (or at least contradict them).

So, yes, this is indeed news.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Anybody that thought the Google Android overtook the iPhone must have been crazy.

I only know one person who has a Google Android G1, so I have no idea which product is better. However, the iPhone/Android comparison is sort of like the PC/Mac comparison a long time ago, where many thought the Mac was a superior computer but the PC was better marketed.

The iPhone is simply better marketed and most importantly, it was "first". It totally revolutionized how we view a phone and thus, reaped all the benefits of being first and every subsequent phone is going to be compared to it.

Where I work, I can count off the top of my head at least 10 employees who have a iPhone, I don't know anyone who has an Google Android.

So anybody that thought the Android overtook the iPhone must have been smoking some good stuff.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
nyc;3426715 said:
I use Android. I'm happy. :)

My brother has one and he is extremely satisfied with his.

I bet the Android is just a good a phone as the iPhone.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3426724 said:
My brother has one and he is extremely satisfied with his.

I bet the Android is just a good a phone as the iPhone.

My only knock against it at this point is the music player. There are apps out there you can download, but they all use the same underlying codec and libraries that Google provides. There in lies the problem...

I'm sure they will get it straightened out though. I still use it to listen to my music. So, at least it is usable.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
One of two things are about to happen with the iPhone. Either it will become more expensive or made of cheaper parts. (they've already lowered the quality of the parts once) Old Steve isn't going to let a few suicides cut into his enormous margins.

LINK

=====================

Foxconn gives workers second pay rise

An electronics company hit by a string of suicides has raised wages in China - for the second time in less than a week.

Foxconn will increase salaries at its Shenzhen plant by nearly 70% from as early as 1 October, if workers meet certain conditions.

This is in addition to last week's announcement that wages would go up by 30%.

There have been 10 suicides at the Taiwan firm's Shenzhen factory in 2010.
Shares down

A statement from Foxconn, which makes Apple's iPad and iPhone, said the second pay rise would lessen the pressure on workers to do overtime.

"While overtime work was always voluntary, this wage increase will reduce overtime work as a personal necessity," the statement said.

It said wages for production line employees at the firm's Shenzhen plant would rise from 1,200 yuan ($176, £122) to 2,000 yuan.
The firm makes products for Apple and other technology brands

To get that pay rise, workers first have to pass a performance test lasting three months.

New employees will be put on probation for the same amount of time before getting the increase.

Pay increases for workers at Foxconn's other Chinese plants - it employs more than 800,000 people in China - will be announced from July 1.

"This wage increase has been instituted to safeguard the dignity of workers," said Foxconn's founder and chairman, Terry Gou.

This latest announcement is in addition to last Wednesday's pay rise of 30% at all its factories in China.

Foxconn, the trading name for Hon Hai Precision Industry Company, declined to say why there have been two large wage increases in less than a week.

"I can't comment on that," said a company spokeswoman.

The firm has been hit by a series of suicides this year.

Ten people have killed themselves at its plant in Shenzhen, in southern China, which employs about 400,000 people. Three more apparently tried to take their own lives.

Mr Gou said he was having trouble sleeping at night - and dreads an after-hours phone call, fearing it will be another suicide.

Increasing pay is just one method to make sure workers are more "stable and comfortable".

Foxconn has also employed psychiatrists and installed safety nets on buildings.

While the pay rise is good for workers, investors took a different view.

The company's shares fell sharply on the Taiwan stock market following the announcement of the second pay rise.

Trading in the company's shares on the Hong Kong Exchange was suspended on Monday.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Steve Jobs: "Got any suggestions." Audience member: "Verizon!" [cheers]
9 minutes ago via Seesmic

They really have to get on with that end of things.

Conference Twitter

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
People are having phones fights? Or am I missing the point?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3426921 said:
Dang.....new iPhone looks pretty sweet.
Yup, major upgrades. Haven't heard what the release date is yet, though.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3427020 said:
24th of June, I think.

24th of June and it will go on sale at 299 for the 32GB and 199 for the 16GB

The new 4 phone will also play HD video now

You will also be able to stream Netflix to your iphone 4

Here's some news on it.

Apple has unveiled its new iPhone 4 after a couple wild, unprecedented months of leaks. Sure, it looks exactly like we expected it to (Steve compares it to an old Leica camera), with a glass front and back, but it's what's on the inside that counts, kids. The stainless steel band that goes around the phone is an antenna system, while also providing the main structure of the phone, though it's plugged into the same old GSM / UMTS radio you all know and love -- there's a reason they didn't call it the iPhone 4G. There's also of course that front facing camera we were all anticipating, a rear camera with LED flash, and a new high resolution display that doubles the pixels in each direction (960 x 640) for a 4X overall pixel count increase -- Apple calls it a "Retina Display." It's rated at 326ppi, which Apple claims is beyond the human eye's limit of distinction. Check out an example of the new screen up against the iPhone 3G after the break. Similar to the iPad, it's an IPS display, offering 800:1 contrast. Naturally, it's still the same old 3.5-inch size. Under the hood is the A4 processor that runs the iPad. Despite the new engine (and the 25% thinner chassis), Apple managed to make the battery slightly larger, and the new handset is rated at 7 hours of 3G talk, 6 hours of 3G browsing, 10 hours of WiFi browsing, 10 hours of video, and 40 hours of music. Oh, and that WiFi? It's 802.11n now. The camera has been bumped to 5 megapixels, with 5X digital zoom and a "backside illuminated sensor," which now can also record HD video at 720p / 30fps.

On the software front, applications will automatically get high resolution text and buttons as part of iOS 4 (the OS previously known as iPhone OS 4), and with "a little bit of work" developers can make their entire app compatible with the new resolution display. Developers will also get access to a new gyroscope, giving devs "six axis" motion control between the gyroscope, accelerometer, and compass, with a new "Core Motion" API to deal with it all. Users won't be left out in the cold, however: they can mess around with that new HD video using a brand new iMovie app, if they shell out $4.99 for it. If anyone's feeling particularly frisky, iOS 4 even lets you switch your default search provider to Bing. Last but certainly not least, that new front camera is enabled for video chat using the new "FaceTime" feature. It's a WiFi-only (for now) video calling feature that works from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 with "no setup" involved, and can flip over to the rear camera if your grandparents get tired of your face.

The phone will be available in white or black, retailing at $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for 32GB. They go on sale June 24th, and AT&T will be giving some extra grace upgrade timing -- up to six months early. The 3GS will be dropped to $99 and the 3G will disappear completely. Pre-orders start in a week, with 5 countries at launch (US, France, Germany, UK, Japan), with 18 more following in July. Apple will also be selling a first party case for $29, and a dock for the same price.

Update: Good news, addicts! AT&T just pinged us to clarify that so long as your upgrade date is anytime in 2010, you're now eligible to spend an additional two years paying dues to AT&T. In other words, a fair amount of you will be able to buy one of these at contract price on day one. The full statement is after the break, along with AT&T's full pricing release.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
So basically we can look forward to even more dropped calls :laugh2: ?

Looks like I will have to rely on the Edge a little more.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Iphone 4 is going to DROP A DUECE on all other phones front porch. nuff said