Twitter: Irvin on defense: It’s about your manhood

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Competition has always been as much about mental toughness as it is physical prowess. Being an old-school guy I believe that you need players and coaches to do a little butt chewing on the field and on the sidelines when that lackadaisical effort creeps in.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Mike Nolan needs to dumb down the complexity of his defense, whether he likes it or not. Years ago, when Rob Ryan ran his complicated defense and encountered similar problems to what Nolan is having, he simplified it. It worked. The defense improved significantly for the rest of that year. Of course, the following season, he went back to adding plays, made it more complicated and the horrific problems returned, worse than ever.

There's a lesson to be learned by that if Mike Nolan has the wisdom and flexibility to simplify his scheme. Here's hoping that Mike McCarthy insists that he does so, if he wants his inaugural season to be saved. He'd be wise to "see the writing on the wall."

I do believe being stubborn and refusing to adjust would be a huge mistake for Mike Nolan to make at this juncture. Sticking with what has been terribly ineffective would very likely be a catastrophic blunder that could easily ruin a potentially hopeful season.

Last edited:

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Competition has always been as much about mental toughness as it is physical prowess. Being an old-school guy I believe that you need players and coaches to do a little butt chewing on the field and on the sidelines when that lackadaisical effort creeps in.

Hec, if I see someone loafing, or missing tackles, or missing assignments, I'm benching them. If their heart ain't in it, they can ride the bench. Find out who the DOGS are on the field, find some young guys who have something to prove. Enough is enough. Hec, can't get much worse...so find some ballers out there, scroll through the depth chart until you find people with heart and pride.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
LOL. Big P’s Manhood’s in question.

Irvin is a moral, intellectual midget.
You who idolize him probably believe call girls and cocaine under motel beds and crack pipes in your car are acceptable. Not to mention lousy barbershop skills.
Oh, morality has taken a hiatus.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You who idolize him probably believe call girls and cocaine under motel beds and crack pipes in your car are acceptable. Not to mention lousy barbershop skills.

You might be right but then, again, many men have been known to grow up, become more mature and their thinking significantly changes. Most of us have likely experienced this transformation in our own lives and witnessed it in lives of others. It's not our right to pass judgment. Only a being of greater power reserves that right. Good acts oftentimes come from unexpected people. There are cases where people can change, given time and good fortune.

Last edited:

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
This was great. This used to be a strong team. Now we’re worried about a 0-4 team. And players going on mic talking nonsense.

and Mike McCarthy is probably in there sharing his Burger King with all the players after X. Woods’ comment. What a joke of a team we have :facepalm:.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You might be right but then, again, many men have been known to grow up, become more mature and their thinking significantly changes. Most of us have likely experienced this transformation in our own lives and witnessed it in lives of others. It's not our right to pass judgment. Only a being of greater power reserves that right. Good acts oftentimes come from unexpected people. There are cases where people can change, given time and good fortune.
I am a being of greater power.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
and Mike McCarthy is probably in there sharing his Burger King with all the players after X. Woods’ comment. What a joke of a team we have :facepalm:.

Let's hope he invites Mike Nolan to that feast, so the players can express how they feel about his defensive scheme!:thumbup:

Blue64

Reaction score
He may be all that.. but he’s also a winner and he played the game on the field and on the sidelines with an intensity that is non existent in today’s players.

This team could use a player like him right now.
Instead of a bunch of players with no pride, no desire to win and the pursuit of cashing in.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Irvin should go ask his buddies Stephen n Jerry why they don't address the defense in the off-season in an aggressive manner.

Everytime someone thinks to criticize the defense go see Jerry and company. Ppl expect the ownership to pay scraps for defense, and the cheap defense supposed to do something???

If the FO do care about building a true defense, the players know that and act accordingly. It's not backup level players fault their FO has them starting.

Jipper

Reaction score

that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away where the cowboys we’re a world class organization

People do dumb stuff in their 20s; then learn and grow up in their 30s and usually find their adulthood stride before 40 leaving the stupid stuff behind.

just bc he did dumb crap as a 20 something living a life you couldn’t even fathom, doesn’t mean he hasn’t grown up or matured.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
He may be all that.. but he’s also a winner and he played the game on the field and on the sidelines with an intensity that is non existent in today’s players.

This team could use a player like him right now.
Instead of a bunch of players with no pride, no desire to win and the pursuit of cashing in.
+1
Irvin is an absolute champion. I don't need these guys to set moral examples. I need a winner. I need a guy who will make a list of all the guys who are in it for the money and hand the list to the coach. I need a guy who is 100% committed to victory. Turd boy Lawrence and his gang of super turds don't even care if they win or lose. What am I as a fan supposed to do about that? They will always be turd boys and Irvin will always be a god.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Mike Nolan needs to dumb down the complexity of his defense, whether he likes it or not. Years ago, when Rob Ryan ran his complicated defense and encountered similar problems to what Nolan is having, he simplified it. It worked. The defense improved significantly for the rest of that year. Of course, the following season, he went back to adding plays, made it more complicated and the horrific problems returned, worse than ever.

There's a lesson to be learned by that if Mike Nolan has the wisdom and flexibility to simplify his scheme. Here's hoping that Mike McCarthy insists that he does so, if he wants his inaugural season to be saved. He'd be wise to "see the writing on the wall."

I do believe being stubborn and refusing to adjust would be a huge mistake for Mike Nolan to make at this juncture. Sticking with what has been terribly ineffective would very likely be a catastrophic blunder that could easily ruin a potentially hopeful season.

How is that going to help a guy like Lawrence beat a tackle one on one? Or Griffin? Is that going to help Hill NOT get blown off the line of scrimmage? Will it help Jaylon Smith grow some stones and make a play?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Nate Newton and Jesse Holly also called out these losers on defense, said too many players have Wood's mentally and that is why they all suck and are quote "the laughingstock of the league". Nate even said "this is why the Ravens are where they are and the Cowboys are where they are".

LOL, I am loving how its not just the national media but the in-house media guys as well calling out these losers.:clap: