News: Irvin on OBJ

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
https://thespun.com/more/top-storie...ll-beckham-jr-is-built-to-play-for-1-nfl-team

"Odell is built to be in Dallas. He’s been wanting to play in Dallas for a long time. I believe (the Cowboys) do have the upper hand right now. It would be a great get if (Jerry) can get Odell. He would love to play for Dallas," Irvin said."

Interesting. I say do it. He can only help this team. In all aspects.
The funny thing is there was an article about a month ago where Beckham himself said he had no interest in Dallas and we weren't one of the 5 teams he wanted to sign with. So what this means is the market is not what he thought it would be so they throw Dallas's name out there.

phildadon86

Reaction score
The funny thing is there was an article about a month ago where Beckham himself said he had no interest in Dallas and we weren't one of the 5 teams he wanted to sign with. So what this means is the market is not what he thought it would be so they throw Dallas's name out there.
You have the article? Because I think Irvin may be more dialed in than most

dckid

Reaction score
https://thespun.com/more/top-storie...ll-beckham-jr-is-built-to-play-for-1-nfl-team

"Odell is built to be in Dallas. He’s been wanting to play in Dallas for a long time. I believe (the Cowboys) do have the upper hand right now. It would be a great get if (Jerry) can get Odell. He would love to play for Dallas," Irvin said."

Interesting. I say do it. He can only help this team. In all aspects.
How is OBJ going to help this team? I think he is a name only and not worth the headache and drama.
He is not a difference maker anymore.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Agreed. TO had probably the most productive 3 year stretch of any Cowboy WR in history. OBJ is an old broke down egomaniac looking for a warm place and a pile of cash to lay down and fall asleep.

OBJs last season was highly mediocre. And now he's coming off injury.
Meanwhile, we've got 3 competent possession WRs in Lamb, Gallup, and Brown. I don't see that OBJ adds much. Washington is another injured guy coming back, but good chance he's more useful than OBJ at this point.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
How is OBJ going to help this team? I think he is a name only and not worth the headache and drama.
He is not a difference maker anymore.

If we accept that Dak has an apparent reluctance to throw into coverage or less than accurate arm (not a dig at Dak), then OBJ as a baller may well give us different look with a kind of receiver that we dont have and could be needed depending on how specific defenses are playing......

......then again I share share your concern that coming off the injury how long is he going to take to get up to speed and ready to play. We are judging him pre-op and because he's a name. Do we need him...NO....would we like him....YES.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We are now talking about a 2nd acl tear. Very well might not be the same player the Rams got.

Yep, and I seriously hope that if we are interested (and im less than convinced we need an injured WR than hasnt played for 10 months) that it isnt a multi- year deal with guaranteed money.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The conversation is about what winning franchises do.

The Pats picked up big money free agents to assist in winning the Super Bowl-not so much on offense (Gilmore comes straight to mind). Big time free agents can help-and large numbers of Super Bowl winning teams utilized them in winning the big one. I was more on board with signing Von Miller (despite the age and contract size). We can be Cowboys’ fans and still point out the obvious flaws with the front office approach. If the Cowboys’ suddenly reel off two or three Super Bowls without any big name free agents, you and Jones’ can serve crow to everyone.

phildadon86

Reaction score
The Pats picked up big money free agents to assist in winning the Super Bowl-not so much on offense (Gilmore comes straight to mind). Big time free agents can help-and large numbers of Super Bowl winning teams utilized them in winning the big one. I was more on board with signing Von Miller (despite the age and contract size). We can be Cowboys’ fans and still point out the obvious flaws with the front office approach. If the Cowboys’ suddenly reel off two or three Super Bowls without any big name free agents, you and Jones’ can serve crow to everyone.
Exactly. I am not saying go spend crazy money. But building SOLELY thru the draft isn't what winning franchises do. They supplement the draft with free agency.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Since 2000 the Patriots have the same number of SB victories as all of those teams put together. So which winning franchise would you have us emulate? For me it'll be the Pats... who have notoriously built their offenses through the draft. But you want us to be like those non-dynasty teams you just mentioned.

we ain’t the 2000s Pats. The league may never see a franchise like that again. Free agency is a tool that helps to build Super Bowl winners.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score