Twitter: Irving expected to sign tender today

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
disagree. if he has a monster season then we have to break the bank for him or lose him. while he's been toiling away on his couple hundred k contract, openly complaining about how much it sucked would have been the perfect time to approach him with a reasonable deal that would have been a sizable raise for him
Why would he sign a reasonable deal after last season?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It will be nice to see what he can do with a full season under his belt.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
I don't see that at all. They're not going to pay Irving $16,000,000 to play next year. They'll sign him to a contract before they'd ever consider that. Don't get me wrong. I like Irving and want to keep him, but I don't see any way they pay him $16,000,000 for a season. Just isn't going to happen.
If he has 15 sacks and a boatload of tackles for loss you might be wrong.....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does a RFA have to sign the tender before accepting an offer sheet? Or is it since the Cowboys designated him with a 2nd, he has up to a certain date for his agent to shop around before signing said tender?
Once he signs it he is under contract for 2018. The concept of being a free agent (restricted) is gone once he signs.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So does the front office get any credit for knowing that they only needed to put a 2nd round tender on him? Which saved money.

Most people here would have been glad to use the 1st round tender and spend a few million more against the cap. They said Irving was as good as gone with just a 2nd round tender.

Maybe the front office knows more than fans on here know? :muttley:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So does the front office get any credit for knowing that they only needed to put a 2nd round tender on him? Which saved money.

Most people here would have been glad to use the 1st round tender and spend a few million more against the cap. They said Irving was as good as gone with just a 2nd round tender.

Maybe the front office knows more than fans on here know? :muttley:

After 22 years you're really going to go there with this front office?

J12B

Reaction score
I agree
I think he ends up with franchise tag next year
They seem to have questions about him and that’s a safe option

He can't be franchised due to him entering the league undrafted. Same case with what happened with Ronald Leary. We either pay him or gets paid elsewhere.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
Best news of our offseason. The dude may not have his head screwed on completely right; but he can take over games. He's on the brink of being a superstar. I feel about him like I did D Lawrence before last season. He is a BUY

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Why would they franchise tag Lawrence this year but not Irving next year? What am I missing?
Irving has some issues that Lawrence doesn't have. Plus, we signed Irving off of a practice squad. It makes a difference. We're not going to franchise tag and pay Irving $16,000,000 for a year. It's not going to happen. he isn't even a full time DE. He plays inside as well. It might be a moot point if what someone above posted is correct. They stated that undrafted players can't be tagged. If that's true, I didn't know it. It doesn't make any sense, but a lot of NFL rules make little to no sense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And there were actually people here who swore that we should have tendered him with a 1st, we couldn't even get a nibble with a 2nd!

I was one! I admit to being totally wrong on that one. But, in my defense, I did come around to the idea before they actually applied the second round tender.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good news.

Here's to a highly successful season for both Irving and the Cowboys.

But one I absolutely expect to be his last in Dallas.

HanD

Reaction score
Irving has some issues that Lawrence doesn't have. Plus, we signed Irving off of a practice squad. It makes a difference. We're not going to franchise tag and pay Irving $16,000,000 for a year. It's not going to happen. he isn't even a full time DE. He plays inside as well. It might be a moot point if what someone above posted is correct. They stated that undrafted players can't be tagged. If that's true, I didn't know it. It doesn't make any sense, but a lot of NFL rules make little to no sense.

didn't he play exclusively at 3tech DT last year?. i believe his franchise tag would be 13.5 mil based on 2017 numbers for DTs. i don't think there is anything stopping a team from franchising an undrafted player. at least i've never heard of that before. where a player comes from shouldn't matter. would we have franchised romo? you bet we would have. if you have a player that is a star, whether they come from udfa or 1st round pick, you do what you have to to keep them...including franchise... now if you don't want to allocate 30 mil a year on DT and DE, that's another story.

He can't be franchised due to him entering the league undrafted. Same case with what happened with Ronald Leary. We either pay him or gets paid elsewhere.

we never considered leary for the franchise tag which would have cost 13.7 million when he signed for 9 mil per on avg. it didn't have anything to do with him being undrafted. he fell in the draft because of knee issues and not being sure what his longevity would be. he was priced out of our range due to cap and us also having lael collins.