Twitter: Irving expected to sign tender today

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
didn't he play exclusively at 3tech DT last year?. i believe his franchise tag would be 13.5 mil based on 2017 numbers for DTs. i don't think there is anything stopping a team from franchising an undrafted player. at least i've never heard of that before.

we never considered leary for the franchise tag which would have cost 13.7 million when he signed for 9 mil per on avg. it didn't have anything to do with him being undrafted. he fell in the draft because of knee issues and not being sure what his longevity would be. he was priced out of our range due to cap and us also having lael collins.

Since Irving plays both DE and DT, I'm sure he would push to be classified as a DE since the tag would be higher. I'm not sure how that's actually decided. Regardless, the team isn't tagging him either way. We will either sign him to a contract or let him go. I just see no way we tag him for between 13-17 million (or however much it actually is).

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He can't be franchised due to him entering the league undrafted. Same case with what happened with Ronald Leary. We either pay him or gets paid elsewhere.
He can be Franchised...anyone UFA can be

Wes Welker and Justin Tucker-K were both tagged and they weren't drafted

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Since Irving plays both DE and DT, I'm sure he would push to be classified as a DE since the tag would be higher. I'm not sure how that's actually decided. Regardless, the team isn't tagging him either way. We will either sign him to a contract or let him go. I just see no way we tag him for between 13-17 million (or however much it actually is).
He would be tagged at whatever position he plays more this year

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The tag option sets his value at 3/32m

DAL could offer 3/27m with 13m gtd and he would jump