Is 2022 a make or break it year for Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s not going to cover Daks and others but you are correct they will extend because Dak holds all the cards and Jerry has no balls to do what’s best for the team, he isn’t eating any money, he likes his collection of underachieving players.
It’s too much time and work for Jethro to invest in building a better team. This one generates enough interest to keep the registers ringing. The rest he can prop up, promote and sell.

Flamma

Reaction score
Come on it was definitely possible to manipulate the salary cap

All manipulating the cap does, is keep Dak here longer. Dak has to be here at minimum, 2 more years. Then he's still a 40M dead cap.

Dak's cap his is 20M right now. That's because they pushed 20M forward. Wouldn't it be kind of silly to bring in Wilson and push money forward on a QB that isn't playing?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Dak is what he is. There is no making or breaking. We are in a hamster wheel situation. We aren't winning any Super Bowls with him and Jones's know that. They don't care as long as fans keep buying tickets and merchandise.

THIS.

Flamma

Reaction score
Not everybody looks at contracts and cap situations. I know people that don't even know what dead cap is. They just watch the games and comment based on what they see.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about "make or break", but it is an important year (I know, they all are).

Dak's first couple of seasons he was more the guy that distributed the ball to the playmakers rather than take a lead role as a playmaker himself. Nothing wrong with that if it is working for the team, but that was the role.

Then the next few years he started throwing more and became more of a playmaker himself. It has led to some dynamic games with the Cowboys putting up big points and big stats, sometimes for several weeks in a row, but it has also proven to be less consistent, and the team has had difficulty sustaining that level of offense all season long.

The next step is to gain that consistency. Obviously that's not all on Dak, but as the guy guiding the ship on the field he is a bigger part of it than others.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Dak's contract means he's not under any job threat for several years to come. It's no more likely than Jerry Jones announcing that from here on out he's abstaining from women and drink and taking a total vow of silence in a monastery.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yay. Another Dak thread.

Question for you. If Dak doesnt win a Superbowl and the Cowboys send him and MM "packing".

Who would you like to sign in his place? Because I am pretty sure the cap hit for cutting and or trading Dak would destroy the cap. We may have Kellen Moore back out there slinging the rock.

He was actually lights out when he played in a game for us.

Leave it to Beaver put up over 400 yards.

If he had been a bit bigger, stronger, etc. no doubt he would have been a legit NFL QB.

One of the smartest players I've ever seen.

75boyz

Reaction score
Dak is what he is. There is no making or breaking. We are in a hamster wheel situation. We aren't winning any Super Bowls with him and Jones's know that. They don't care as long as fans keep buying tickets and merchandise.

I like the hamster wheel comparison, lol

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don't know about "make or break", but it is an important year (I know, they all are).

Dak's first couple of seasons he was more the guy that distributed the ball to the playmakers rather than take a lead role as a playmaker himself. Nothing wrong with that if it is working for the team, but that was the role.

Then the next few years he started throwing more and became more of a playmaker himself. It has led to some dynamic games with the Cowboys putting up big points and big stats, sometimes for several weeks in a row, but it has also proven to be less consistent, and the team has had difficulty sustaining that level of offense all season long.

The next step is to gain that consistency. Obviously that's not all on Dak, but as the guy guiding the ship on the field he is a bigger part of it than others.

All true.

My biggest complaint with Dakota is that he doesn't step up enough against teams with records over .500.

In that regard, Romo has a much better track record.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The guy should be in his prime right now...yet he still can't read defenses, so i guess you are right. He is what he is. The Moronic Duo got fleeced on this one, and we knew it before it happened. Except for some folks here who said he was the messiah and would lead this team to glory. Well, the train has left the station and no options for these two except watch the wreckage year after year.
Can you provide proof that he can't read defenses? To say that, I guess you pay for the all 22 film. So upload your proof. Because I want to know how a guy can throw for over 4,000 yards, but still can't read defenses.

So take us through a couple of plays and show us where he's missing his reads.

phildadon86

Reaction score
All true.

My biggest complaint with Dakota is that he doesn't step up enough against teams with records over .500.

In that regard, Romo has a much better track record.
Lol. Again with this nonsense? Daks career winning percentage against winning teams is somewhere around 40 percent. But that doesn’t matter anyways because daks wins and losses don’t matter. Winning and losing is a team statistic. It’s ridiculous to put a win or loss on one guy when 53 players make up a nfl roster

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It’s financially implausible to turn away from him in 2023 regardless of how badly he may play in 2022. Additionally the constant restructuring of his contract all but assured an extension is looming, as it would be difficult to carry his cap number without it. He won’t be on the hot seat for… at least 3 years