Is a big contract for Elliott the best decision?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I can't argue with that position, even if it doesn't mirror my own.

I'll never be a fan of his. I respect his ability, but he's an idiot. Always has been, always will be.

From the stupid feed me on the field, to the screw ups off of it. He'll never be my kind of a player.

We can only hope he grows up as he gets older... but the overall Zeke experience has been a mixed bag for sure.

His situation is unique IMO... He is playing a position that has a rally short career lifespan, so I understand why he is holding out

At the same time, the market value is what it is, and his off-field screw-ups lower his overall value IMO and increase the risk on the franchise

Best case here? He signs for a deal that pays him top money if he stays on the field, continues to produce like an elite player, and he stays clean off the field and avoids suspensions.

He is clearly motivated by money... maybe an incentive laden deal will be a good thing for him in terms of keeping him in line? Also could lower some of the risk the team is taking on signing a mercurial player at a high-injury risk position

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like many of you, I find myself conflicted regarding the whole Zeke holdout issue. On one hand, I realize that he truly is a great player and a difference maker on the field. These Cowboys are certainly better with him than without him.

But is it in the team's best interests long term to make him the league's highest paid running back?

It certainly helps this year if they truly feel that they're a championship contender, and may be the difference between getting to the playoffs and not.

But can you trust the guy not to flake out again? Can you trust that once he gets paid he'll be the same iron man on the field that he has been? Can you trust him period?

And in a league that for better or worse (not being debated here) doesn't pay running backs big money, are you screwing up your cap by being the team that pays the most for theirs?

If you pay your running back tops in the league, where else are you short-changing yourself? Who are you forced to let go when there's no more cap room left?

Add it all up and I wonder if paying him is ultimately in the Cowboys long-term best interests?

What say you?
Good perspective. Depends on the guaranteed money. But dominoes will fall - guys like Crawford.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's getting 1st round money already. Much more than Dak. Give Zeke a huge cap hit this year and then bring it down for next year when Dak and Cooper start their contracts. You don't let the best back in the league walk or sit in Cabo when you wanna win a SB. How many more chances does Jerry have? Of course you sign him. All the holier than thou character guys around here have probably never been in a locker room or hung out with the boys after practice. Zeke is immature, but there's a lot of bad men playing pro football.
They ain't altar boys.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I can't help but to feel that their is an agent's agenda at work here. Would that guy be willing to be known as the guy that got the two-time league leading rusher the second best contract?

Maybe, but they can easily make this deal the highest RB deal without actually paying out the most. That's really just semantics if they both want a deal.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care if he murders people in his spare time (as long as he doesn't get caught). My problem is that this sets a precedent for all the other players that you can just hold out to get what you want. Would he have gotten paid after this year? Most likely. This didn't need to happen.
I get that, but most other players aren't as good as Zeke. They wouldn't holdout like this because they don't have the same leverage. If he was an average or even above average player, they would let him rot in Cabo.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My opinion is that if Dak is your QB, then you have to keep Zeke.

So, I have come to terms that Jerry is on board with Dak, so I am all for signing Zeke.

Long term for the Cowboys, I don't think that Zeke playing this year is best. I think him sitting out will expose Dak for who he is and save us from committing too much cap capital on a QB that can't carry the team.
Zeke has already proven to be a choker during the playoffs. Not Dak. Dak has game in the playoffs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can only hope he grows up as he gets older... but the overall Zeke experience has been a mixed bag for sure.

His situation is unique IMO... He is playing a position that has a rally short career lifespan, so I understand why he is holding out

At the same time, the market value is what it is, and his off-field screw-ups lower his overall value IMO and increase the risk on the franchise

Best case here? He signs for a deal that pays him top money if he stays on the field, continues to produce like an elite player, and he stays clean off the field and avoids suspensions.

He is clearly motivated by money... maybe an incentive laden deal will be a good thing for him in terms of keeping him in line? Also could lower some of the risk the team is taking on signing a mercurial player at a high-injury risk position

I like your ideas and would definitely prefer to go that route. And that protects the team financially, but not from the next suspension and loss of the player during the season. I don't like the thought of relying on the unreliable.

I think I'd get a deal done with little guaranteed money and get started on drafting a replacement.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe, but they can easily make this deal the highest RB deal without actually paying out the most. That's really just semantics if they both want a deal.

That's how I hope it's done. Big money but not big money guarantees. He's paid if he plays and gone if he doesn't.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but I honestly believe he's turned the maturation corner with everything he's been through. Plus I'm 100% sure his new contract will have escape clauses if he's suspended for any future incidence. I'm also 100% convinced if Stephen had any doubt whether Zeke's future off-field behavior would be problematic, no way in hell he gets a new deal. They would have simply ridden his rookie deal and drafted his replacement. Remember all his incidences were silly/childish **** you expect from college kids and completely avoidable. Also, remember at the end last season, FO started talking about upgrading the backup RB position? That tells me the decision to extend Zeke was already made and upgrading his backup was more about protecting their future investment.

Honestly, as someone stated a few months ago if he lived up to his potential as 4th overall pick, extending him was damn near automatic. You don't burn a top 5 overall pick on a player you intent chew up and spit out, you just don't. Let's not forget, this the same owner had quite a few problem players in the 90s that makes Zeke look like a choir boy. So he's seen it all. My guess his new deal will give us a three year out and/or protect us if he suspended by the league.

As long as the deal short and sweet, I have no problems with it. Keep an eye one 2021 draft where I think they could start looking for his replacement.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Elliott makes his own running Lanes. The rookie has great vision I think you'll be a great compliment to one another. Finally we go on a 10-play drive and get to the end zone someone's going to have fresh legs and we'll be able to punch it in. For me it's all about dollars how much do we hurt the rest of the team. I'm not willing to give it to one guy and suffer someplace else. We find that balance I have no issue

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's how I hope it's done. Big money but not big money guarantees. He's paid if he plays and gone if he doesn't.
I believe it's all about the underlined things you don't see in a contract. Injuries suspensions. going to have to be a lot of what ifs. I wouldn't do a contract without it. Being the franchise. And I'm not sure Elliott would be happy with that. And I wouldn't have any problems moving on afterwards. Change is inevitable and Never Say Never

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was an altar boy for 4 years and then I started hanging out with football players and with my FFA agriculture class buddies. Talk about one extreme to the other!!! Lol! Cowboys and Rednecks!!!!
:lmao:I knew someone here would be an altar boy! I would have said choir boy but I sang in choir and played football.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm trying to do this without slamming. But what has all that yardage actually produced other than time of possession. How many points has it turned into current and whose fault is that he had six touchdowns in six fumbles last season. And those are the ones we got back his second season you didn't even play the full season. I wish we never drafted him.