Is a big contract for Elliott the best decision?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What would the Patriots do goodbye. I would try to mimic them in every shape and form. What would the Patriots do goodbye. Yes I believe they set the standard. Who was it that said if I ever drafted um player again, hit me in the head with a hammer. Can the same be said if I ever overpay for a player again

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
I’m conflicted about it too as well, but less so than I am with Dak. While I agree his antics have proved concerning, I know what we are and will get on the field (yeah assuming he stays out of the Principal’s office).

But compared to even 30M much less 40M for a QB that many don’t even consider top 10 in the league, a 15M cap hit for the best player at his position feels like a deal. Particularly since he is the cog of this offense. I’d argue Cooper is just behind him. Take away Cooper and Zeke and then how confident are we in Dak?

Not trying to derail into a pay Dak or Zeke, just giving perspective to my take on it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if his agent lets him sign it. Just for the fact that the agent will then be the guy who failed to get the league leading rusher the top contract for running backs. In the court of public opinion, many will consider that a "loss".

And I don't think an agent worried about himself will want to accept that.
At some point the player has to say I will take it. I am not sure Elliot wanted to hold out. He was agreeing to threaten to hold out to attempt the contract. If he don’t sign this and holds out regular season games i will be surprised.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
My opinion is that if Dak is your QB, then you have to keep Zeke.

So, I have come to terms that Jerry is on board with Dak, so I am all for signing Zeke.

Long term for the Cowboys, I don't think that Zeke playing this year is best. I think him sitting out will expose Dak for who he is and save us from committing too much cap capital on a QB that can't carry the team.
as painful as seeing talent wasted, I can't help but feel that it might be for the best. Either Dak takes a step forward and you feel better about paying him or you know you can't pay him.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At some point the player has to say I will take it. I am not sure Elliot wanted to hold out. He was agreeing to threaten to hold out to attempt the contract. If he don’t sign this and holds out regular season games i will be surprised.
Yeah, I think he doesn't like sitting. Agent prolly had to tie him down!

Sydla

Reaction score
I hate the notion that we are going to pay a TB a crap ton of money in today's NFL.

But it's going to happen, so at this point, just get it done and hope that the Cowboys are able to get him under contract for just a fair deal and not hope they do something stupid and outstrip Gurley's contract, which the Rams are already choking on.

My3Sons

Reaction score
I too am conflicted, but the Jets can escape Bell's contract after 2 years with minimal (4 million) dead cap space. Bell doesn't mind because he's got $27 million in cash, regardless.

If Zeke's deal is structured similarly, I'll like it better.

If the Cowboys do a contract with Zeke that we need to exit in 2 years, how dumb are we? He has 3 years of team control now.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Who showed up and who didn't?
Okay so you audible to a quarterback sneak. You don't think the defender reads that and closes the gap. 3 yards is internity. Plus we're supposed to have the best running back in the world. Yes this was for the other guy I don't know what happened

glimmerman

Reaction score
I hate the notion that we are going to pay a TB a crap ton of money in today's NFL.

But it's going to happen, so at this point, just get it done and hope that the Cowboys are able to get him under contract for just a fair deal and not hope they do something stupid and outstrip Gurley's contract, which the Rams are already choking on.
Was a bad move. The bell contract set the market the gurly contract killed it. When it’s time for barkley to get paid he will be holding out. Owners and GM are going to stop the progression of the position pay.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Looking at it this way is an attempt to cover up how mediocre he was in the Rams game.
OK, but if someone cannot admit that Dak had WR's running open all over the field and the Rams were committed to stopping Zeke then you can't have a valid argument with anybody.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Unfortunately, they basically have to. They spent the highest pick they’ve had in a long time on him and he has performed very well on the field. You basically committed to paying him whatever you have to under those circumstances when you drafted him 4th overall.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
3 playoff games with a 100 yard average - what would you like?
Him not to trip over his own ego on the goal line. I don't care if you have a million yards. Show me the points. Show me the touchdowns. We're all that yardage really counts. Take away all the yardage after the fumbles. He put the ball in the ground six times and only had six touchdowns. I love the ball control game Smash Mouth. I think you'll be a great complement with the rookie

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Looking at it this way is an attempt to cover up how mediocre he was in the Rams game.

You can shut down any one player if you want to. Rams decided to do that and see if Dak could beat them, which of course he didn't.

I'd still take a 3 game sample over a one game sample...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Like many of you, I find myself conflicted regarding the whole Zeke holdout issue. On one hand, I realize that he truly is a great player and a difference maker on the field. These Cowboys are certainly better with him than without him.

But is it in the team's best interests long term to make him the league's highest paid running back?

It certainly helps this year if they truly feel that they're a championship contender, and may be the difference between getting to the playoffs and not.

But can you trust the guy not to flake out again? Can you trust that once he gets paid he'll be the same iron man on the field that he has been? Can you trust him period?

And in a league that for better or worse (not being debated here) doesn't pay running backs big money, are you screwing up your cap by being the team that pays the most for theirs?

If you pay your running back tops in the league, where else are you short-changing yourself? Who are you forced to let go when there's no more cap room left?

Add it all up and I wonder if paying him is ultimately in the Cowboys long-term best interests?

What say you?
depends on the terms of the contract. is he special? yes. do we need special RB to win championships? it helps. do depending on the contract, is it a 3-4 year contract and we can get out and take a small cap hit. there is a window of opportunity and we have to try and cash in.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
OK, but if someone cannot admit that Dak had WR's running open all over the field and the Rams were committed to stopping Zeke then you can't have a valid argument with anybody.
Okay you want to go with that argument. Is Zeke is truly the best. He should still have been able to score. They complement one another you can't pass if you can't run. You can't run if you can't pass. So now that's on coaching right