Is a big contract for Elliott the best decision?

Sydla

Reaction score
Barkley will get the same money and he and the giants will be praised here because that’s how we roll

They will not be praised. They will be laughed at just like how many here laugh at the Rams for paying Gurley significantly more than the highest paid TB at the time.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Dallas will have to pay Elliott and it is all Dallas's fault. They built the team around Elliott, made no bones about it, then Stephen floated out that the Gurley deal is where the negotiations would start back in February. If I were in Elliott's shoes, I would probably have been pretty miffed to hear Stephen say that and then get an offer that was lower. Dallas would have had much better leverage if Stephen hadn't opened his mouth along with Elliott getting called to see Goodell yet again.

On the flip side, Dallas had better put in a seriously bullet-proof clause about Elliott getting suspended so they can bail should it happen again.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Please explain to me why the players in the league had Zeke at number 18 and Dak not in the top 100. They play against them, they know the game plan. If they had a gameplan to stop Dak he would at least get some respect in the top 100. No one gameplans against Dak, it is gameplan against the run and see if Dak can beat you. It is obvious. But please, lets just go by stats in one game and a trip at the goaline to make a judgement!
My opinion is the guy is a knucklehead until he gets over this ego he's never going to be the best that he could be. This has nothing to do with Prescott.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good points to be sure. Let's also allow for the OL being a big part of the problem last year. Too many injuries and missing Fred didn't help at all. I'm thinking it'd be fair to see what he does this year before giving up on the guy. No question but what he regressed somewhat last year, though. Jerry will give him his dough, so we might as well get used to it. Let's hope his contract is largely performance based. ;)
You are absolutely correct, as soon as you get criticals of Elliott here come the Prescott Slammers I just makes them feel better. But it doesn't change the fact

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well technically Bell signed after Gurley got his deal. So in theory, when Bell got much less than Gurley (and Bell didn't have a huge market to begin with), it should have reset the market.

Zeke deserves more than Bell, I would concede, but not more than Gurley. Because Gurley's contract is a massive outlier at the position.

If Zeke signs the current offer as reported between Bell and Gurley, his deal will CORRECT the RB market IMO. As stated, yes he deserves more than Bell but no way in hell you make him the highest-paid RB with two years left on his current deal. There's a price/penalty comes with that.........

It's why I said in another thread this deal would actually be a win, win for both the Cowboys and Zeke. Zeke get his new deal even with two left on his old contract and Cowboys save$$$$$ not paying him Gurley money as Stephen promised. Remember he said Zeke deal would START with Gurley money. Getting him to a new deal below Gurley would be a huge win and damage control for the foot in his mouth (LOL).

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I want him signed because he’s that good and we’re built specifically for his skill set. But, I realize he’s also a risk. It’s a touchy situation. I think this team is a title contender so I want the FO to roll the dice on Zeke. He’s got a good 4-5 years (maybe more, who knows) before he starts to fall off. Hopefully he’ll mature from an off-the-field perspective as he gets older as most people do.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Zeke will behave for a year then be out at the bars again. What we know is the tip of the iceberg. I bet more locals know what been up to. I'm already hear rumors about this guy. Like they say when there smoke there is fire. I haven't hear one rumor about Zeke that prove to be false so far.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Zeke will behave for a year then be out at the bars again. What we know is the tip of the iceberg. I bet more locals know what been up to. I'm already hear rumors about this guy. Like they say when there smoke there is fire. I haven't hear one rumor about Zeke that prove to be false so far.

:facepalm::facepalm::huh:

Sydla

Reaction score
If Zeke signs the current offer as reported between Bell and Gurley, his deal will CORRECT the RB market IMO. As stated, yes he deserves more than Bell but no way in hell you make him the highest-paid RB with two years left on his current deal. There's a price/penalty comes with that.........

It's why I said in another thread this deal would actually be a win, win for both the Cowboys and Zeke. Zeke get his new deal even with two left on his old contract and Cowboys save$$$$$ not paying him Gurley money as Stephen promised. Remember he said Zeke deal would START with Gurley money. Getting him to a new deal below Gurley would be a huge win and damage control for the foot in his mouth (LOL).

There's also a penalty for being a knucklehead off the field, although the contract could be written to protect the Cowboys.

At this point, we know it will get done. So I am just tired of the whole process and want it over and done with as little pain to the Cowboys as possible.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
If u are Jerry and u are committed to a 90’s run first offense then it appears to be your best option.. Everything else is noise...

Sydla

Reaction score

I mean that's a bit much.

But I will say this. I was listening to the radio here in Philly and they had a former player turned analyst for NFL Network on (I didn't catch the beginning of the segment and who it was) and they were talking NFCE. The contract situation was brought up with Elliott and the analyst said he'd hold the line at where the Cowboys are now. He said while a great player, it's not a secret amongst players that Elliott is kind of an *** off the field and the Cowboys shouldn't reward him for that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is part of the reason I am completely on the side of not drafting RBs in round 1. That position group is now acutely aware of how most NFL teams value their position (not very highly). They even want to start their own union as a result (will never happen). If you're drafting a RB that high, and he lives up to the position he was drafted, then it looks like you are only getting that player for 3 seasons before a very likely holdout.

If I'm building a team, I'm using them up and replacing them often....and never using just one as a primary workhorse.

It's worked that way, both for you and for the other recent Super Bowl champions. Workhorse running backs winning Championships is the exception nowadays and no longer the rule.

And that's precisely why the position has been devalued. Because there's reason behind it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

When a young guy gets "free", from parents, school, whatever it's common to "sow his oats", especially when you have money and fame like Zeke got as soon as he hit the NFL. How many running backs get an NFL rushing title their first year? A very small percentage.

Most "young bucks", like I did, get the bar hopping, bed hopping, or whatever out of their system in a few years. Zeke may do the same, remember with the high profile he has he draws far more attention than some "unknown", so little things he does get way more noticed. If I bumped into some security guy it'd not make the national news.

Just saying that while Zeke is not your average guy, he may well get his rowdiness out of his system like most young guys do.

At least I hope so...

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I like your ideas and would definitely prefer to go that route. And that protects the team financially, but not from the next suspension and loss of the player during the season. I don't like the thought of relying on the unreliable.

I think I'd get a deal done with little guaranteed money and get started on drafting a replacement.

It sounds like there is a good chance the deal gets done soon... will just have to hope the risk for the team is minimal

If he continues to produce at the rate he has been for at least the next 3 years, he will be worth the money

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash is making a long term argument though. The point is, Goff is going to be making $35m+ soon and that will eat into their cap space
I know what he's getting at. We need to sign all these guys before the new CBA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sounds like there is a good chance the deal gets done soon... will just have to hope the risk for the team is minimal

If he continues to produce at the rate he has been for at least the next 3 years, he will be worth the money

I'm not sure any of these big running back contracts have been "worth the money"?

Todd Gurley? Obviously not. The cautionary gale for the rest of the league.

David Johnson? Sure, if you want the 1st pick in the draft.

The Steelers weren't about to do it for Bell, Conner filled in just fine.

The Falcons paid Freeman, what's he done since?

Seems to me that teams quickly regret giving big contracts to running backs.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I mean that's a bit much.

But I will say this. I was listening to the radio here in Philly and they had a former player turned analyst for NFL Network on (I didn't catch the beginning of the segment and who it was) and they were talking NFCE. The contract situation was brought up with Elliott and the analyst said he'd hold the line at where the Cowboys are now. He said while a great player, it's not a secret amongst players that Elliott is kind of an *** off the field and the Cowboys shouldn't reward him for that.

People talk. I heard a couple of stories about him that came from good sources. Just think if TMZ didn't catch the Zeke deal in Vegas it would've been swept under the rug.