Is a team wrong to use the Franchise Tag?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. And those rules are in place to govern the league. And does on the most part very well. But there is a very small segment of the most talented which are in a position to challenge.

If the owners always stood firm it would end. Any idea why the owners are standing more firm. Therein lies the answer.
Jerry also has a history of caving and the agents know it. If he had stood firm on DLAW and Zeke, CD is probably in camp right now. In my view, anyone who holds out with years remaining on their contract should be traded asap.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
factual data you refuse to accept. Mahomes and Brady make what those teams appear to be the way... the right way. Except if you dont have those guys, that way wont work.
There has been several teams this era which have had more success than the Cowboys this era without Brady or Mahomes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Teams this era which have had more success than the Cowboys this era without Mahomes or Brady.

NFC-
Egirls, Seattle, LA Rams, SF, Green Bay

AFC-
Denver, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Buffalo

That was easy to compile . Sure you can pick apart a couple of those but I didn’t include several others which have also appeared in a SB and overall they haven’t been as successful.

We could produce a pretty good argument that about half the league has had more success this era than the Cowboys.

I’m not sure why any fan would be so supportive of this ownership in 21st Century? They are a middle of the pack organization when it comes to football.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry also has a history of caving and the agents know it. If he had stood firm on DLAW and Zeke, CD is probably in camp right now. In my view, anyone who holds out with years remaining on their contract should be traded asap.
Yes, but Jethro isn’t only owner who caves. The bigger point is why do most cave in?

This is what drives the top talent pushing the envelope.

And some teams stay more in front of the situation.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, but Jethro isn’t only owner who caves. The bigger point is why do most cave in?

This is what drives the top talent pushing the envelope.

And some teams stay more in front of the situation.
SF doesn't cave. They are trying to trade Ayuk. KC didn't cave and traded Tyreke. NE never caved during their dynasty. Philly doesn't cave. The smart organizations get rid of the "me-first" players who put themselves before the team. Jerry never learned.

Fact is that players who skip games b/c they don't like their contracts are few and far between, and it rarely works to their benefit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
SF doesn't cave. They are trying to trade Ayuk. KC didn't cave and traded Tyreke. NE never caved during their dynasty. Philly doesn't cave. The smart organizations get rid of the "me-first" players who put themselves before the team. Jerry never learned.

Fact is that players who skip games b/c they don't like their contracts are few and far between, and it rarely works to their benefit.
I said most teams cave. Not all. And you said it correctly. The smart organizations don’t.

I’m just saying there’s a reason they don’t.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
several i tell you... DOZENS of teams that have shown the way... actually, I think 31 teams have shown us the way. only Dallas cant figure it out.....smh
Amazingly our dysfunctional ownership this Century has had more success than a few teams. They should be totally ashamed.

But at least they have a better opportunity in a more normal situation to finally bring the right leadership in to turn the tide.

We are stuck in a perpetual funk hanging around the rim to maintain relevance and interest which can hype hope to relieve some of the pressure to bring the change at the top needed.

BusDriver

Reaction score
No, you are missing the point.

Dallas is paying Dak $40-something million next year against the cap if he walks. So you're spending $50 milliion cap dollars on Minshew.
This is flawed logic … even if Dak is extended Dallas is still swallowing the the 40m dollar dead cap pill at some point … it doesn’t get wiped out .. so let’s say he is extended 2 years at 60mm aav with a cap hit of 25-30 this year versus 40 ..and let’s say they add 2 void years and spread the remainder evenly … and Dak still can’t win big games so we let him walk after the 2 years ext is up … that’s gonna be around a 45mm dead cap hit in the final void year so let’s say in 3 years we draft a rookie qb … still looking at a 55-60mm (prob more) qb cap hit and that only goes up if they push the bigger hits to the last and void years to lower the hits next year too.

Last edited:

BusDriver

Reaction score

This. To me it all comes down too being a matter of when you wanna press reset. You wanna be free of high QB cap hits in 2026 or 2029-2030 … get some draft capital for CeeDee …especially now with Bland going down and this season is likely over before it starts … Cut their lossses now while the D stars are approaching their prime and the oline is young approaching their primes … windows won’t align if we wait to end of this decade … love lamb but extending him now isn’t doing anything but puffing JJs ego while ensuring our draft pick is lower than it will be without him … Similar to Jimmy and Herschel … step back to leap fwd .. or at least try

Flamma

Reaction score
I guess I'm making to many assumptions in what I'm writing. I'll say it again, I know how it works. My comment about the Cba Is that those are the rules. Lamb is in fact, under contract, right now. But he's skipping work, isn't he?
Yes. On that part, I agree with you. You gave me the impression that you thought he was skipping work because he wanted more money in his rookie contract.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yes. On that part, I agree with you. You gave me the impression that you thought he was skipping work because he wanted more money in his rookie contract.
Hes holding out over the BS topic of getting hurt and risking the next deal. Well how can I trust a guy that isnt even honoring his actual contract? I know he is the best wr we have... but I honestly dont care anymore. Id rather the team play hardball and let him skip games, get fined, and then after thi syera place the tag on him... if he is even able ot have the tag on him if he sits enough.

Flamma

Reaction score
Hes holding out over the BS topic of getting hurt and risking the next deal. Well how can I trust a guy that isnt even honoring his actual contract? I know he is the best wr we have... but I honestly dont care anymore. Id rather the team play hardball and let him skip games, get fined, and then after thi syera place the tag on him... if he is even able ot have the tag on him if he sits enough.
Lets first see if he doesn't show up for what he actually gets paid to do, play regular season games.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Just off the top of my head, DeVonta Smith on the Eagles. Whoever that QB was for the Seahawks last year. He's good, not great. And you absolutely can use void years on a 3 year deal.
Geno smith is mid bro he dont count he will sign anything, hey get Prescott on the phone now give him three years 75 million with 105 million if you meet incentives. which he DID NOT, LETS DO IT LOL .. Come on dude you think Prescott's taking 25,000,000 a year..wrong comp

but hey 1400 players in off the top of your head you got 2.

proves my point thanks. Im talking stars here starters Smith hes 2 but sure ill count him that 1 1400 NFL players but still talking the top player up for HUGE deals.. Geno not coming close to Daks deal and Id sign Lamb for 3 years 27 mil like smith. Guess what he laugh in your face with than. Now maybe Jerry go to Lamb say look at Hills 3 year 3o per 90 fully guaranteed do that over 35 for 5-6 ..bet he wont take that either. BET?

Let's keep this at players who are demanding market money trend setting money...

Flamma

Reaction score
Geno smith is mid bro he dont count he will sign anything, hey get Prescott on the phone now give him three years 75 million with 105 million if you meet incentives. which he DID NOT, LETS DO IT LOL .. Come on dude you think Prescott's taking 25,000,000 a year..wrong comp

but hey 1400 players in off the top of your head you got 2.

proves my point thanks. Im talking stars here starters Smith hes 2 but sure ill count him that 1 1400 NFL players but still talking the top player up for HUGE deals.. Geno not coming close to Daks deal and Id sign Lamb for 3 years 27 mil like smith. Guess what he laugh in your face with than. Now maybe Jerry go to Lamb say look at Hills 3 year 3o per 90 fully guaranteed do that over 35 for 5-6 ..bet he wont take that either. BET?

Let's keep this at players who are demanding market money trend setting money...
Off the top of my head is 2, you think I know all of the players that got 3 year deals? I did this with someone else and they also said all you got was 2. It turned out to be around 8 when I looked it up. I'm not going to research this one. But you're most likely right, 3 year deals are not common among the best players.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Off the top of my head is 2, you think I know all of the players that got 3 year deals? I did this with someone else and they also said all you got was 2. It turned out to be around 8 when I looked it up. I'm not going to research this one. But you're most likely right, 3 year deals are not common among the best players.

Not what I meant and you know it.. I'm talking about players in our current team that are comparable to the contracts we have coming up Prescott lamb Parsons none of them are even anywhere close to the guys you mentioned and I just told you yes why don't you roll up to the star knock on the door and you let Jerry and Steven know to talk to will get a meeting set up because for sure I'd be all about getting Prescott to take a Geno Smith deal and I'd be all for lamb taking a DJ Moore or this devante Smith deal yeah let's do it I'll give him 27.5 for three years hell I give him 30 years guaranteed like hillsdale but I almost 99.99% short lambs agents would slam the door in your face that's not what they're after they're being greedy they want both they want 35 and a three to four year deal and Jerry wants a 33 probably at five years I say Jerry's on the right track hold fast stay steady because they have no leverage past game one when they start losing big money that they can never make up because they're only $2,000,000 apart he will not hold out the season Jerry won't cave he won't give him 35 I know that I don't know if he'll like sweeten the pot for guaranteed money because we haven't seen that but I know that these types of players not the ones you mentioned I'm talking about the real deal players... I've been saying this all along after next week lamb loses his leverage because he has to start already with about 1.5 million in fines right now and then 1,000,000 a game how long will he hold out before it becomes a fiscally ignorant because he will never make the money back only 2 million apart per year on say A4 to $5,000,000 deal that's $10 million you got to play seven years if you held out the season to make back to possibly 15 + 1,000,000 dollars you would lose while you're holding out when you should have just signed this deal so the next 7 to 10 days is gonna be very interesting for lamb..

Trayvon diggs took a top five deal right away we're not in this position because him and his agents were not greedy most players used to look for top five money that made making deals much easier but now you have both this they want short deals they want massive deals they want to be the highest paid non quarterbacks in the league and that's where we're at the players have become more greedy they're unwilling to compromise they have it in their head that they want it all they want the biggest bragging bag they can get but the three-year deals won't work when you're talking about money like that yes the money you mentioned Jerry would do that that's not what they're asking for guaranteed...

Proof

Reaction score
It's why they are all trying to extend with a year left. CD sitting out the 5th year is the just the flip side of the tag.

Franchise tag is virtually non-existent for players coming off their rookie deal, especially first rounders. It's hardly used at all, really.
that's not entirely true, but not really pertinent to my point anyway. i mostly just don't like the rookie wage scale.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
lol.... when Lamb signed his rookie deal, he agreed to the CBA.
lol…That’s my point. Some players, particularly highly coveted ones, may have money enough already to consider whether or not they want to join the team that drafts them or wait another 12 months for the next draft. NIL rule$ may play an increasing role in a player deciding whether or not to declare for the draft depending on what teams have early draft choices.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
lol…That’s my point. Some players, particularly highly coveted ones, may have money enough already to consider whether or not they want to join the team that drafts them or wait another 12 months for the next draft. NIL rule$ may play an increasing role in a player deciding whether or not to declare for the draft depending on what teams have early draft choices.
and if that starts happening, watch teams make rules that give the drafting team 2 years worth of rights to that player. No amount of NIL money is worth wasting 2 years of you rlife. they need to get to that 2nd contract as soon as possible.