Is a team wrong to use the Franchise Tag?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then that would be the same if he ran for 2,000 yards in NY the next year.
Im not sure what that means . We don’t know what his production would have been with Steelers. But we do know what the impact was to the team.

That doesn’t mean it wasn’t a sound financial decision by Steelers. But you must be prepared for the impacts to the results of the team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we let Dak, Lamb and next year Parsons walk we must be prepared for the impact to the team and results.

Maybe we can hit on all positions in the draft again. If not then could be struggling for years. That’s the risk teams take .

Chasing6

Reaction score
Im not sure what that means . We don’t know what his production would have been with Steelers. But we do know what the impact was to the team.

That doesn’t mean it wasn’t a sound financial decision by Steelers. But you must be prepared for the impacts to the results of the team.
Prior performance can missed regardless of a new contract or not. The best way to measure it is on their future results.

He did not play well on his future contract, just like most RB's. If he stayed would he have played better, who knows, but it looks like the Steelers made the correct decision.

GM's that pay players based off of their past performance and not projected future performance is a mistake.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
thats like saying you saved money by putting that 2k TV on your chase visa... it isnt saving any money.
It could be if you use a Rewards Card to buy it and then pay in full when bill comes in.

Many of my trips are partially paid from using Rewards Cards for free or discounted hotels and flights.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Prior performance can missed regardless of a new contract or not. The best way to measure it is on their future results.

He did not play well on his future contract, just like most RB's. If he stayed would he have played better, who knows, but it looks like the Steelers made the correct decision.

GM's that pay players based off of their past performance and not projected future performance is a mistake.
No, I’d argue the best measurement is of the teams impact.

For example letting Murray walk was a sound Cap move. But what was the impact until we drafted a suitable replacement ?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Right. Because it makes the cap hit 100% that year. Can’t defer anything
Agents are smart enough to know whether you can afford to use the tag or not. Most likely another reason we did not sign anyone this year.

Teams - FO/Players that want to win SB's, don't go through what Dallas is currently going through.

Retro88

Reaction score
That’s fine if you want to play hard ball. But you’re going to continue to lose your best talent.

And those are the only players who are pushing the envelop is the top talent, it’s a very small percentage but the top talent which is in high demand.
Sometimes I wish I could visit alternate realities to watch these scenarios play out and watch their reactions here.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That’s not how contracts work. Those contracts are front loaded with huge signing bonus and back loaded with bigger Cap hits. Not to mention much of contract guaranteed. It’s all about long term security for the player and not impacting the Cap as much, at least initially.

Just like with Dak. So much was made of his 40 mil per season. But his cap hits were actually only 17,19,26 mil the first 3 years . And on back end 59. He received 66 mil signing bonus on front end .

So 17,19 and 26 mil cap hits those first 3 years didn’t prevent Cowboys from surrounding him as much as it was played out by fans .
A tag does not have to have a signing bonus.

Regardless Jerry is not afraid of a signing bonus.

A tagged player can receive 17 equal game checks.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That’s fine if you want to play hard ball. But you’re going to continue to lose your best talent.

And those are the only players who are pushing the envelop is the top talent, it’s a very small percentage but the top talent which is in high demand.
yea... nobody wants to play for the steelers after they played hardball with LeVeon Bell.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A tag does not have to have a signing bonus.

Regardless Jerry is not afraid of a signing bonus.

A tagged player can receive 17 equal game checks.
Right but the bigger point is Franchise Tag actually is a greater impact on Cap than a bigger contract. At least initially.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yes , they can be Cap free but what is the cost to the team if you’re trying to win now with the core talent you have?

As long as you’re willing to continue to start over every time you clean house cause you don’t want to pay your top talent , that’s fine but be prepared for some lean years .

You’ll be totally dependent on drafting great every year with no misses. And you’ll need to continue since you’re losing your top talent every time they force the issue.
which top talent? Tank? Tell me after this year it wont be time. Our Dbs, we are good. Our oline, we are good. We are in great shape, assuming we get dak done. Not worried about Lamb, he aint going anywhere.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
which top talent? Tank? Tell me after this year it wont be time. Our Dbs, we are good. Our oline, we are good. We are in great shape, assuming we get dak done. Not worried about Lamb, he aint going anywhere.
Let’s hope not but the argument is if we did let our top stars walk. What would the impact be.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jerry must have a good reason to get a deal done with Lamb. Otherwise he wouldn’t offer him anything. Obviously you can’t think of a good reason to get a deal done with him. Maybe someone else will offer one.
nope, as I dont need to get any deal done. I already have you under contract this year. Then I will franchise you next year, and then the year after... so Im pretty good for 3 years.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It could be if you use a Rewards Card to buy it and then pay in full when bill comes in.

Many of my trips are partially paid from using Rewards Cards for free or discounted hotels and flights.
well if you pay it off when the bill comes, thats like paying an nfl contract all in one year, like tagging someone. Dont be foolish.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

I havent paid for a flight in probably 8 years... i know all about rewards points. Opener and nov game against philly.... free flights.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Let’s hope not but the argument is if we did let our top stars walk. What would the impact be.
I never said we let any top player walk.... as we NEVER do. But im also not for bending over because they said so.

Retro88

Reaction score
You are assuming they get a long term deal.

If they are being unrealistic that is why you tag them to begin with. Then tag them again and trade them.
That is quite possibly the worst way to handle a situation bc the player wants a few more million. We just spent 2.5-4mil on a rotational DT. Just pay the man the few million more.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That is quite possibly the worst way to handle a situation bc the player wants a few more million. We just spent 2.5-4mil on a rotational DT. Just pay the man the few million more.
I strongly disagree. Getting 2 top pics and saving $35M is more value than CD in my opinion.