Is a team wrong to use the Franchise Tag?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If i offered you 33 million, 2nd most in the league for the position, 4 years, and more guaranteed than the highest paid guy... that deal should be done. If Lamb says no... then Id tag his butt next year and tell him hes playing for 17 million this year. Now go pound rocks.
That’s fine if you want to play hard ball. But you’re going to continue to lose your best talent.

And those are the only players who are pushing the envelop is the top talent, it’s a very small percentage but the top talent which is in high demand.

Retro88

Reaction score
Paying the Franchise Tag vs making CD the highest paid WR would save money 100% of the time.

It will be the same for Micah.
That's not entirely true. Saving a couple mil now could cost you several mil later depending on how the contracts fall

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's not entirely true. Saving a couple mil now could cost you several mil later depending on how the contracts fall
You are assuming they get a long term deal.

If they are being unrealistic that is why you tag them to begin with. Then tag them again and trade them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
thats because bell never got the deal... EVER. He was demanding ridiculous money. The steelers held firm, and who lost? Not the steelers.
I would t necessary say they didn’t lose. They did lose a top talent they weren’t able to replace . The impact it made to the results of the team can be argued .

They didn’t feel it was worth that much to invest as such in a RB. And I’m not sure I wouldn’t agree. But whether it set the team back any without that level of talent is arguable.

Much like back when we let Murray walk. Probably a sound financial decision. But it did hurt us until we found a suitable replacement.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not paying a WR the top money is probably sound Cap Mgmt. But what could the cost be on our pursuit with this current team. And do we have a suitable replacement.

Perhaps we can draft a WR early next year but will there be a drop off in production. Nobody knows. That’s the uncertainty which comes with these difficult decisions with the top talent.

Flamma

Reaction score
The union and the owners both agreed to terms on a franchise tag, when it can be used, and the amount a player is to be paid if the tag is used. The players and owners agreed, that taking the top 5 salaries at a position averaged out is fair for ALL players. This tag protects the players from a ridiculously low offer from a team and protects team from unreasonable demands from a player.

The most important part f this, is that both PLAYERS and owners agreed to this process.

So why is it that if a team uses the tag on a player that they are deemed as evil? In any union, the contract is simply the rules that both sides my pay by... so what is the problem here?

Why do so many of you view the owners as mistreating a player in someway if they use the tag?
Most of the players don't care about the tag because most aren't good enough to get the tag. Most players good enough are probably making less on the tag.

The union with the current players and owners agreed to terms on the CBA. But every player drafted from now until 2031 never got a vote. They agreed to agree to what was already there. Agree or don't play.

I can see why a player wouldn't like it. But as for fans, I have no idea why. I don't care if someone gets tagged unless it hurts the team to do so.

Chasing6

Reaction score
thats because bell never got the deal... EVER. He was demanding ridiculous money. The steelers held firm, and who lost? Not the steelers.
Great move by the Steelers, Bell's performance was a downhill disaster after leaving.

Flamma

Reaction score
I would t necessary say they didn’t lose. They did lose a top talent they weren’t able to replace . The impact it made to the results of the team can be argued .

They didn’t feel it was worth that much to invest as such in a RB. And I’m not sure I wouldn’t agree. But whether it set the team back any without that level of talent is arguable.

Much like back when we let Murray walk. Probably a sound financial decision. But it did hurt us until we found a suitable replacement.
The Steelers probably played that right. Bell was offered 5 years 75M. Sounds great on the surface. The sticking point, only his 10M dollar signing bonus was guaranteed. They could cut him at any time. Bell refusing made it look like he never intended to live up to that contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
who cares.... you can only defer money for so long... defer pla A, then player B, then player C... you got to pay the piper at some point... and dallas is about to be cap free next year with all these 1 year delas expiring.
Yes , they can be Cap free but what is the cost to the team if you’re trying to win now with the core talent you have?

As long as you’re willing to continue to start over every time you clean house cause you don’t want to pay your top talent , that’s fine but be prepared for some lean years .

You’ll be totally dependent on drafting great every year with no misses. And you’ll need to continue since you’re losing your top talent every time they force the issue.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Hindsight they lost nothing. His production dropped like a rock.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
CeeDee is betting on the current wr’s not being able to match his production and Dak struggling to find open target and defense can rash more. He’ll sit until Jerry caves, just like zeke did when we didn’t have viable backup to match his skill set. Dal has higher likelihood of getting hurt with CeeDee off the field than on the field. Just saying that’s my take and he can do whatever he wants until he is paid comparable to Jefferson. Cowboys have to decide is CeeDee our number 1 or do we want a cheaper less productive number 1. If his number are comparable to Jefferson’s, which they are, then 17mil tag or not is not going to work. CeeDee should take the 33mil and 4 years, if that what he declined then as a CeeDee supporter I say trade him bc he’s changed. That’s is if in fact what we are hearing is real, which most likely isn’t the truth.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great move by the Steelers, Bell's performance was a downhill disaster after leaving.
And how did the Steelers do after he left? How long did it take to find another productive RB.

I don’t disagree with not paying a RB top dollar but you must be prepared for the impact.

If I was a GM I’d continue drafting even when you have top talent at some positions.

Like we could have drafted a WR knowing Lamb might be tough to resign. Same with Dak who we already knew would be tough. Poor Mgmt !!

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If i offered you 33 million, 2nd most in the league for the position, 4 years, and more guaranteed than the highest paid guy... that deal should be done. If Lamb says no... then Id tag his butt next year and tell him hes playing for 17 million this year. Now go pound rocks.
Jerry must have a good reason to get a deal done with Lamb. Otherwise he wouldn’t offer him anything. Obviously you can’t think of a good reason to get a deal done with him. Maybe someone else will offer one.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Teams should use whatever they can to put together the best team possible. The tag inst ideal for players but has its uses for the teams. The cowboys could let CD play out his final year then tag him twice if they really didn't want to give him a huge long term contract and there isn't much CD could do other than sit out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Steelers probably played that right. Bell was offered 5 years 75M. Sounds great on the surface. The sticking point, only his 10M dollar signing bonus was guaranteed. They could cut him at any time. Bell refusing made it look like he never intended to live up to that contract.
Im not denying it was a sound financial decision. But what was the impact on the Steelers.

This is what teams must be prepared for when letting top talent walk. The teams which have suitable replacements in place are in a more favorable position.

Chasing6

Reaction score
CeeDee is betting on the current wr’s not being able to match his production and Dak struggling to find open target and defense can rash more. He’ll sit until Jerry caves, just like zeke did when we didn’t have viable backup to match his skill set. Dal has higher likelihood of getting hurt with CeeDee off the field than on the field. Just saying that’s my take and he can do whatever he wants until he is paid comparable to Jefferson. Cowboys have to decide is CeeDee our number 1 or do we want a cheaper less productive number 1. If his number are comparable to Jefferson’s, which they are, then 17mil tag or not is not going to work. CeeDee should take the 33mil and 4 years, if that what he declined then as a CeeDee supporter I say trade him bc he’s changed. That’s is if in fact what we are hearing is real, which most likely isn’t the truth.
GM Jethro is not winning a SB this year. All he is risking with CD sitting out is potentially hanging out at the rim.

CD will be losing $1M a game that can not be waived.

CD's stats will be zero for each game he misses.

CD loves him, some stats.

CD risks injury by playing without a long term deal.

Micah already ratted out CD, saying he will be here week 1.

GM Jethro risks getting a higher draft pick.

Hold firm for once Jerry, unless it is a mutual benefiting contract.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But we can’t assume his production would have dropped off if he’d stayed with Steelers. Nor the impact it had on the team.
Then that would be the same if he ran for 2,000 yards in NY the next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
how so? you tag Lamb this year and he gets how much??? In the 20s?? 27. 28, 29... thats 6 or more million less than 35 hes going for. He aint making that up if he gets a deal next year.
That’s not how contracts work. Those contracts are front loaded with huge signing bonus and back loaded with bigger Cap hits. Not to mention much of contract guaranteed. It’s all about long term security for the player and not impacting the Cap as much, at least initially.

Just like with Dak. So much was made of his 40 mil per season. But his cap hits were actually only 17,19,26 mil the first 3 years . And on back end 59. He received 66 mil signing bonus on front end .

So 17,19 and 26 mil cap hits those first 3 years didn’t prevent Cowboys from surrounding him as much as it was played out by fans .