Is Bennett just immature or just dumb?

sago1

Reaction score
Just saw this tidbit in FWST blog. Now I don't know if it was in a segment that Hard Knocks didn't show last Wednesday or if it will be in the upcoming segment tomorrow night. Yes, I know I'm overreacting and I stuck up for this pick in the draft & throughout much of the preseason, but seeing him in Hard Knocks segment last Wednesday (I've watched that show at least 6 times since original showing) and reading about him in last several days, he's really in my doghouse. I bet Jude Garrett (is that the right brother whose in charge of TEs) would like to strangle Bennett cause I sure want to. The below is all he's got to say about his first TC with the Cowboys. Man, I could really hate this kid. Anyway, this is what he told Hard Knocks (don't know date he allegedly said this to them):

With the NFL Films crews wanting him to talk about his time in camp he had this to offer: "I just want to go home. I miss my dogs and my house."

lkelly

Reaction score
He can be both.

It's a real pity we didn't trade up to get him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
A lot of the stuff you read about him talks about his bad "body attitude" -- I know he's got this personal issue -- but from what we've read he's just an "observer" in the issue. He may need to step up and tell his family to leave him out of it while he's at camp.

The thing that got me was the report yesterday that he was late to practice because of his personal issue but he jogged slowly onto the field. That sends a bad message.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I think I just left this thread. Hmm...

Either way, the Hard Knocks show was better than I thought, and I was curious about how you guys felt about this kid.

That attitude will rarely work in this league.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Yeah, he sounds like a hard worker and is willing to sacrifice what it takes to achieve at this next level. :rolleyes:

Why don't some of these young guys realize that the cash cow they have now needs to be milked daily for that flow to continue throughout their NFL careers?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I question his mental toughness. Author Malcolm Gladwell who has written great books such as "Blink" went into this with golfer Phil Mickelson. Mickelson is known as an extremely talented golfer, even maybe more talented than Tiger. However, Phil's technique has been shoddy because he doesn't like to work on it and he's been known to get out of shape. According to Gladwell, and I concur with him, somebody like Phil does this because they are afraid that if they do work on their technique and get in shape and do everything they can to be the best they can be that they could still lose. It's kind of a mental crutch for Phil because if he loses he can always say "well, I would've won had I put the time and effort that Tiger put in it."

I get the feeling that Bennett is the same way. He's got the size and athletic ability, but his heart and desire has been questioned. He can basically say "well, I would be starting had I put the time and effort that Witten put in."

Guys like Tiger and Witten are mentally tough and that's why they succeed. They work their hardest and are not afraid of the fact that they may lose despite putting their full effort in. I really question this pick given the known problems with Bennett's desire and work ethic.

It's one thing to say that you're going to have a coach keep on him, but with Witten securing the starting spot, it's going to be tough to get a guy like Bennett to put the full effort in if he knows he's not going to be a starter. While I despise Belichick and company, they are great at picking up mentally tough players and I think it's a big reason why they draft well.

YAKUZA

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Whats going to be hilarious is when they show a clip of Martellus on Hard Knocks working hard and everyone will be like "Wow he changed"!

"John Garrett is doing wonders for this kid"

oh man.... :lmao:

superpunk

Reaction score
So you're fired up because for some unknown reason he's become everyone's camp whipping boy, and because of some unverified quote that (even if it is accurate and attributed correctly) is completely useless without context.

It's like, come on.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;2188809 said:
A lot of the stuff you read about him talks about his bad "body attitude" -- I know he's got this personal issue -- but from what we've read he's just an "observer" in the issue. He may need to step up and tell his family to leave him out of it while he's at camp.

The thing that got me was the report yesterday that he was late to practice because of his personal issue but he jogged slowly onto the field. That sends a bad message.
I don't get this. Was he supposed to do a full-out sprint to where the players were? At what point in the practice did he jog out there? What drills were they practicing? Had he stretched properly before going out onto the field? Those are alot of unanswered questions to ignore.

If he said he "jogged onto the field," it wouldn't be an issue. He jogged "slowly" and that makes it an issue. That one word changes the context, but he more than likely would've jogged at the same speed, regardless.

Honestly, I'm disappointed he's not having a good camp, considering the lack of depth at the position. However, the nitpicking regarding all the training camp observations is crazy.

The only thing I will say as far as the personal issue is that it didn't have anything to do with the NFL or the team. We don't know what it is, but if both he and Jerry said that it was over, then that's all that matters.

I think we forget that these guys do have lives outside of the Dallas Cowboys and it sometimes interferes. Fortunately, this was something that was able to be resolved quickly enough he could re-focus on his job.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2188821 said:
I don't get this. Was he supposed to do a full-out sprint to where the players were? At what point in the practice did he jog out there? What drills were they practicing? Had he stretched properly before going out onto the field? Those are alot of unanswered questions to ignore.

If he said he "jogged onto the field," it wouldn't be an issue. He jogged "slowly" and that makes it an issue. That one word changes the context, but he more than likely would've jogged at the same speed, regardless.

Honestly, I'm disappointed he's not having a good camp, considering the lack of depth at the position. However, the nitpicking regarding all the training camp observations is crazy.

The only thing I will say as far as the personal issue is that it didn't have anything to do with the NFL or the team. We don't know what it is, but if both he and Jerry said that it was over, then that's all that matters.

I think we forget that these guys do have lives outside of the Dallas Cowboys and it sometimes interferes. Fortunately, this was something that was able to be resolved quickly enough he could re-focus on his job.

Very good points, I was shocked we gave away Fasano along with Akin, after just one year, just to draft another TE in rd 2, but it seems since the Peter King comment the kid seems to be everyones whipping boy.

It is early in training camp and was glad to hear that he acknowledged he did not have a good game on Sat. And we don't know the context of his personal issues, but just like alot of people on this board, sometimes life conficts with work and it has to be dealt with. Being a second round pick and playing behind Witten I'm hoping he performs better in camp, but I'm willing to give him until the season starts before I write him off so early in camp.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think with Witten, Curtis and Bennett the Cowboys TE situation is in good shape.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
He's a young kid who just made it into his first training camp. I think giving him a little more than a few months to adjust to such things isn't exactly ground breaking.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, this all goes back to the draft:

I had no problem with the Fasano trade because I thought it was a mistake when they drafted him.

And I thought that Curtis played well enough to be the #2 TE behind Witten.

So I was against drafting a TE in the second round as I felt WR was a bigger need (still do).

And now all of the negative news, clips, and reports make me feel even more strongly that this pick was a mistake.

And I could never honestly expect the team to admit it, so I don't see how anyone else could.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2188817 said:
I question his mental toughness. Author Malcolm Gladwell who has written great books such as "Blink" went into this with golfer Phil Mickelson. Mickelson is known as an extremely talented golfer, even maybe more talented than Tiger. However, Phil's technique has been shoddy because he doesn't like to work on it and he's been known to get out of shape. According to Gladwell, and I concur with him, somebody like Phil does this because they are afraid that if they do work on their technique and get in shape and do everything they can to be the best they can be that they could still lose. It's kind of a mental crutch for Phil because if he loses he can always say "well, I would've won had I put the time and effort that Tiger put in it."

I get the feeling that Bennett is the same way. He's got the size and athletic ability, but his heart and desire has been questioned. He can basically say "well, I would be starting had I put the time and effort that Witten put in."

Guys like Tiger and Witten are mentally tough and that's why they succeed. They work their hardest and are not afraid of the fact that they may lose despite putting their full effort in. I really question this pick given the known problems with Bennett's desire and work ethic.

It's one thing to say that you're going to have a coach keep on him, but with Witten securing the starting spot, it's going to be tough to get a guy like Bennett to put the full effort in if he knows he's not going to be a starter. While I despise Belichick and company, they are great at picking up mentally tough players and I think it's a big reason why they draft well.

YAKUZA

That's funny.

Because Pelz has the exact opposite opinion on Mickelson, saying he hasn't met anyone with his creativity and work ethic...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
To me, the comments by Ciskowski in the war room on draft day speak volumes. The scouts do a ton of research on these guys (including their personalities and mental makeup) and here was Dallas' top scout issueing a warning about Bennett. He talked about he how he has to be pushed and you have to put your foot on his throat and tell him how it's going to be.

Then, we see on Hard Knocks the tight ends coach trying to coach the guy and Bennett is responding like a pouting 2-year-old. The coach is telling him to tuck the ball, tuck the ball.

Then, the first preseason game, he doesn't tuck the ball and it's knocked loose for an imcompletion.

It amazes me that teams still don't put enough emphasis on a player's passion for the game and his competitiveness when drafting.

I've been a Cowboys fan for almost 40 years. I've seen them pick guys like Rod Hill, Jesse Penn, Kevin Brooks, Bill Thomas, Howard Richards ... players that had tons of ability, but didn't have the heart to succeed.

And still it continues.

Even after their head personnel guy warned them.

Oh, and we were told back then that Jesse Penn just needed some more maturity, that Kevin Brooks would get it turned around next year, etc. Jesse was taller, faster and more athletic than a guy like Mike Singletary, we were told.

You either have the drive and the passion to succeed, or you don't. It's rarely something that can be developed.

/rant

burmafrd

Reaction score
These hints about Bennet have been coming steadily since camp started. From many different sources. Frankly, I think its true. Bennett sounds like a lot of college stars who never really had to work much because their physical talent was so great. THen they come to the NFL where physical talent is plentiful. Most of the failures are because they never get it- are unable or unwilling to put in the effort needed to get the job done. That is why we see so many lesser talented guys make rosters and get playing time while more physically gifted players are cut. Bennett has to show that he has gotten the "hint" and is willing to put in the effort required.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
stasheroo;2188851 said:
For me, this all goes back to the draft:

I had no problem with the Fasano trade because I thought it was a mistake when they drafted him.

And I thought that Curtis played well enough to be the #2 TE behind Witten.

So I was against drafting a TE in the second round as I felt WR was a bigger need (still do).

And now all of the negative news, clips, and reports make me feel even more strongly that this pick was a mistake.

And I could never honestly expect the team to admit it, so I don't see how anyone else could.

Because there is nothing to admit. By your own admission, you were against the drafting and those that tend to look for the negative will find it. People for a draftee will only focus on the positives.

A rookie that might need more than a week or two of camp before putting it together?? Good thing we didn't think that way about Witten when we already had Campbell and he had to work on his blocking.

I am not saying he will be anything. I am not saying that he won't. In all seriousness, I don't really care that much one way or the other. I like Curtis and we have Witten. I can also agree with wanting a WR instead in that round. It would have been nice. But I will save my judgement of him until at least after week three of camp when it is obvious who the busts are :rolleyes:

DeepBleu

Reaction score
anyone knows what this family problem or whatever supposedly required bennett's immediately attention over and over? i hope there is no one clinging to death bed amongst his close family members.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
We'll be fine.

We're used to second round flops.

We've gotten good at overcoming them.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
Vintage;2188890 said:
We'll be fine.

We're used to second round flops.

We've gotten good at overcoming them.

Lol. Good point. Maybe that is the reason Jerry passed on a WR in that round because whoever he got would be a bust. Of course it makes the sting go away a bit easier when you get 4th round steals after your 2nd round busts.