Is Bennett just immature or just dumb?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
sago1;2188796 said:
Just saw this tidbit in FWST blog. Now I don't know if it was in a segment that Hard Knocks didn't show last Wednesday or if it will be in the upcoming segment tomorrow night. Yes, I know I'm overreacting and I stuck up for this pick in the draft & throughout much of the preseason, but seeing him in Hard Knocks segment last Wednesday (I've watched that show at least 6 times since original showing) and reading about him in last several days, he's really in my doghouse. I bet Jude Garrett (is that the right brother whose in charge of TEs) would like to strangle Bennett cause I sure want to. The below is all he's got to say about his first TC with the Cowboys. Man, I could really hate this kid. Anyway, this is what he told Hard Knocks (don't know date he allegedly said this to them):

With the NFL Films crews wanting him to talk about his time in camp he had this to offer: "I just want to go home. I miss my dogs and my house."

He reminds me an awful lot of the lovable Hambrick brothers.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2188809 said:
A lot of the stuff you read about him talks about his bad "body attitude" -- I know he's got this personal issue -- but from what we've read he's just an "observer" in the issue. He may need to step up and tell his family to leave him out of it while he's at camp.

The thing that got me was the report yesterday that he was late to practice because of his personal issue but he jogged slowly onto the field. That sends a bad message.

He was late. And it was the second time because of personal issues.
So early in his career and he has personal issues and late and has poor body language.

He needs to show immediate improvement in his attitude -- both being punctual and "body language."

To me, he's used up his get out of jail cards.
Next time Jerra should fine him (if he can) or place him behind Curtis.
And if he continues his lethargic ways, read him the riot act.
Players can be lethargic but on the field, they are paid to have their motors running constantly.

By heck, get moving Martellus!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Chief;2188878 said:
To me, the comments by Ciskowski in the war room on draft day speak volumes. The scouts do a ton of research on these guys (including their personalities and mental makeup) and here was Dallas' top scout issueing a warning about Bennett. He talked about he how he has to be pushed and you have to put your foot on his throat and tell him how it's going to be.

Then, we see on Hard Knocks the tight ends coach trying to coach the guy and Bennett is responding like a pouting 2-year-old. The coach is telling him to tuck the ball, tuck the ball.

Then, the first preseason game, he doesn't tuck the ball and it's knocked loose for an imcompletion.

It amazes me that teams still don't put enough emphasis on a player's passion for the game and his competitiveness when drafting.

I've been a Cowboys fan for almost 40 years. I've seen them pick guys like Rod Hill, Jesse Penn, Kevin Brooks, Bill Thomas, Howard Richards ... players that had tons of ability, but didn't have the heart to succeed.

And still it continues.

Even after their head personnel guy warned them.

Oh, and we were told back then that Jesse Penn just needed some more maturity, that Kevin Brooks would get it turned around next year, etc. Jesse was taller, faster and more athletic than a guy like Mike Singletary, we were told.

You either have the drive and the passion to succeed, or you don't. It's rarely something that can be developed.

/rant

I can dig it.
Good post, hombre.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2188821 said:
I don't get this. Was he supposed to do a full-out sprint to where the players were? At what point in the practice did he jog out there? What drills were they practicing? Had he stretched properly before going out onto the field? Those are alot of unanswered questions to ignore.

If he said he "jogged onto the field," it wouldn't be an issue. He jogged "slowly" and that makes it an issue. That one word changes the context, but he more than likely would've jogged at the same speed, regardless.

Honestly, I'm disappointed he's not having a good camp, considering the lack of depth at the position. However, the nitpicking regarding all the training camp observations is crazy.

The only thing I will say as far as the personal issue is that it didn't have anything to do with the NFL or the team. We don't know what it is, but if both he and Jerry said that it was over, then that's all that matters.

I think we forget that these guys do have lives outside of the Dallas Cowboys and it sometimes interferes. Fortunately, this was something that was able to be resolved quickly enough he could re-focus on his job.

Perhaps, Woody's Girl, you have never been on a football practice field.
I recall that our coaches would scream and yell at us if we didn't look like our motors were continuously on. When the coach calls you onto the field or the huddle or team is waiting on you, YOU RUN. You don't take a leisurely jog as if the whole world can wait on you.

Did he stretch?
I dunno. But that is supposed to take place BEFORE you begin practicing. You don't stetch on the way to your practice assignment.

And is it over?
No, no, mon ami. It is NOT over.
Martellus has now established himself as a problem child in the minds of coaches and some teammates. And, most important, Jerry.

And do we, as a society, have outside lives beyond our work?
Absolutely, yes.

But the NFL is different. These days, what, they players get maybe three months to have an outside life. Other than that, it is a continuous job, interspersed by games, practice, QB camps, traveling, Offseason conditioning, etc.

Is he lethargic? He seems so.
Is he lazy? YES? If he can't get the energy to give HBO a quote or two and mumbles something about his dogs and house, he shows no enthusiasm or pride in what he just did -- in practice or in a game.

Will he refocus on his job? I hope so.
Has he indicated his "body language" will change? He said recently that that's the way he's always been and nothing will change him and as long as he goes all out on the field the team will have to accept him the way he is.

No, Martellus. Leave the body language at home.
Pretend that you are working hard on the practice field. Your teammates will like you better.

And WG, you have never looked better.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Yes, by heck, it is the fault of the stupid people at the Zone. The fault of the media. We, as a collective society are stupid and we are at fault.

Don't blame the personal issues that little Martellus can't shake off.
Don't blame the profile of a lackadaisical player.
Don't blame the pouting in front of a coach.
Don't blame the hardheaded demeanor.

Blame and then kill the message bearers.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
CATCH17;2188818 said:
Whats going to be hilarious is when they show a clip of Martellus on Hard Knocks working hard and everyone will be like "Wow he changed"!

"John Garrett is doing wonders for this kid"

oh man.... :lmao:

Ditto. Too many board shrinks. Can we at least give him the same chances that Carp has had? Hell we have some here condemning him for stuff he did in High School, lol.

Also, I am glad that all of his critics had their acts together when they were his age.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
adbutcher;2189229 said:
Ditto. Too many board shrinks. Can we at least give him the same chances that Carp has had? Hell we have some here condemning him for stuff he did in High School, lol.

Also, I am glad that all of his critics had their acts together when they were his age.

I agree. Listening to those who covered Texas A&M football they say he marches to the beat of a different drummer but all in all he is a good kid and he has some very good talent. Right now things are not going very smooth for him but with our situation at TE with Witten and Curtis, Dallas can afford to give him some time.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2189265 said:
I agree. Listening to those who covered Texas A&M football they say he marches to the beat of a different drummer but all in all he is a good kid and he has some very good talent. Right now things are not going very smooth for him but with our situation at TE with Witten and Curtis, Dallas can afford to give him some time.

I suppose, that's the silver lining...Curtis and Witten are ahead of him and so not a lot would be expected of him anyway.

Still, it sure doesn't bode well for him how he's begun

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
FCBarca;2189281 said:
I suppose, that's the silver lining...Curtis and Witten are ahead of him and so not a lot would be expected of him anyway.

It matters how you finish, barring an injury he will be a good player for us for a long time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
FCBarca;2189281 said:

I think he needs to step it up but we are talking a rookie and not all rookies get from point A to point B at the same rate. Dallas is in a situation where we don't have to count on Bennett as a major part of the offense because of some quality vet players. I do think Dallas will be able to work him into the lineup slowly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;2189265 said:

This is another aspect I'm not understanding.

"Dallas can afford to give him some time".

Whereas the main reason that they wouldn't or couldn't draft a young receiver is because he couldn't contribute right away.

But they can afford to give a backup TE time to develop?

That's logic I've never agreed with because if you stick to that philosophy, there will never be a good time to draft a receiver.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;2189298 said:

Whereas the main reason that they wouldn't or couldn't draft a young receiver is because he couldn't contribute right away.

That's logic I've never agreed with because if you stick to that philosophy, there will never be a good time to draft a receiver.

Evidently Dallas just was not thrilled with the WR in this past class. I think this will be an area the Cowboys address in the near future

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
stasheroo;2189298 said:

If Sweed had been there, we'd have drafted him. So we weren't against drafting a WR, we just didn't think the value was there at that spot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2189316 said:
If Sweed had been there, we'd have drafted him. So we weren't against drafting a WR, we just didn't think the value was there at that spot.

I guess for whatever reason, they didn't value him highly enough to go after him.

My feeling is that this is an area that the Cowboys have been lacking in - developing young receivers.

It seems to me that the team lacks the confidence in that area. Rather than drafting young receivers, they've looked to acquire other teams' veteran malcontents. Keyshawn, Glenn, and Owens all fit that bill before they came to Dallas.

Crayton has been a find, and Austin and Hurd look to be stepping up, so maybe that trend is over?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
stasheroo;2189333 said:
I guess for whatever reason, they didn't value him highly enough to go after him.

My feeling is that this is an area that the Cowboys have been lacking in - developing young receivers.

It seems to me that the team lacks the confidence in that area. Rather than drafting young receivers, they've looked to acquire other teams' veteran malcontents. Keyshawn, Glenn, and Owens all fit that bill before they came to Dallas.

Crayton has been a find, and Austin and Hurd look to be stepping up, so maybe that trend is over?

I dunno... Supposedly, we had Bowe right there with Spencer last year.

I think it's just a combination of Parcells using a lot of resources to draft defense when we went to the 34, plus the right players not being available when we pick.

But I still think that WRs are way overrated as far as contributing to overall team success. Tom Brady among others has proved that the QB makes the WR in most cases.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
This kid is a cancer. If we were going to get a tight end, we should have grabbed the Rucker kid, in the *FOURTH* round.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2189348 said:
But I still think that WRs are way overrated as far as contributing to overall team success. Tom Brady among others has proved that the QB makes the WR in most cases.

Agreed, 100%. And lookie who we got! If both Owens and Witten stay healthy, we've got zero receiver issues. None. Crayton makes a darn good #2 WR when you've got Romo delivering the mail.

Kickoff and punt coverage can be rectified in a couple of practices with some concerted effort -- all it takes is firing a certain coach to get the players' attention.

Fellow posters, I see good things in our future! Zach Thomas is going to be a key component too, if he stays healthy, I'll sleep better at night.