Is Bennett just immature or just dumb?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Velvet Jones;2188885 said:
Because there is nothing to admit. By your own admission, you were against the drafting and those that tend to look for the negative will find it. People for a draftee will only focus on the positives.

Perhaps if you could show me the 'positives' to outweigh the numerous 'negatives' I've seen and read about I'll feel better?

Thanks in advance.

Velvet Jones said:
A rookie that might need more than a week or two of camp before putting it together?? Good thing we didn't think that way about Witten when we already had Campbell and he had to work on his blocking.

More like a rookie who had question marks out of college who's doing everything to reinforce those question marks. Witten was a God-send who luckliy fell into Dallas' laps. Can't recall any questions of lask of effort or poor attitude regarding Witten, but if you'd like to point those out as well.....

Velvet Jones said:
I am not saying he will be anything. I am not saying that he won't. In all seriousness, I don't really care that much one way or the other. I like Curtis and we have Witten. I can also agree with wanting a WR instead in that round. It would have been nice. But I will save my judgement of him until at least after week three of camp when it is obvious who the busts are :rolleyes:

My mind is far from made up and I hope to be wrong on this issue, but I had my opinion during the draft and Bennett has done little to change my mind so far.

Regardless of what I think, I know that the team will keep him even if he's a lazy stiff because teams hate to admit such huge mistakes so quickly. He'll get at least two years to show what he can or can't do.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Chief;2188878 said:
To me, the comments by Ciskowski in the war room on draft day speak volumes. The scouts do a ton of research on these guys (including their personalities and mental makeup) and here was Dallas' top scout issueing a warning about Bennett. He talked about he how he has to be pushed and you have to put your foot on his throat and tell him how it's going to be.

Then, we see on Hard Knocks the tight ends coach trying to coach the guy and Bennett is responding like a pouting 2-year-old. The coach is telling him to tuck the ball, tuck the ball.

Then, the first preseason game, he doesn't tuck the ball and it's knocked loose for an imcompletion.

It amazes me that teams still don't put enough emphasis on a player's passion for the game and his competitiveness when drafting.

I've been a Cowboys fan for almost 40 years. I've seen them pick guys like Rod Hill, Jesse Penn, Kevin Brooks, Bill Thomas, Howard Richards ... players that had tons of ability, but didn't have the heart to succeed.

And still it continues.

Even after their head personnel guy warned them.

Oh, and we were told back then that Jesse Penn just needed some more maturity, that Kevin Brooks would get it turned around next year, etc. Jesse was taller, faster and more athletic than a guy like Mike Singletary, we were told.

You either have the drive and the passion to succeed, or you don't. It's rarely something that can be developed.

/rant
:clap2:

Dead on. This is shades of the old Bad Jerry who took Antonio Bryant and Derek Ross. He sees only the potential upside and refuses to look at the bust factor. You can almost hear him patting himself on the back for the billionth time about what a risk-taker he is. :rolleyes:

You know, the only small pass I'll give Jerry on this one is that Bennett seemed to be a toy for the Garretts. They both obviously loved him and his potential, or they wouldn't be defending him the way they have. Maybe they'll learn that they may be good coaches, but even they can't change a player's deep-seated attitudes.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Vintage;2188858 said:
That's funny.

Because Pelz has the exact opposite opinion on Mickelson, saying he hasn't met anyone with his creativity and work ethic...

Pelz gets paid by Mickelson and makes a lot of money because he's known as Mickelson's short game teacher. I don't expect him to be too harsh when it comes to Phil. I don't think anybody has ever denied Phil's creativity, but I find it extremely hard to believe that Phil has a great work ethic, particularly when he has basically admitted that he doesn't have a great work ethic because he wants to spend time with his family. The guy has also been routinely out of shape throughout his career.

YAKUZA

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2188908 said:
Pelz gets paid by Mickelson and makes a lot of money because he's known as Mickelson's short game teacher. I don't expect him to be too harsh when it comes to Phil. I don't think anybody has ever denied Phil's creativity, but I find it extremely hard to believe that Phil has a great work ethic, particularly when he has basically admitted that he doesn't have a great work ethic because he wants to spend time with his family. The guy has also been routinely out of shape throughout his career. YAKUZA

Actually, when Phil is entered in a tournament, he is there a on Monday instead of Tuesday like most golfers.

He then spends practically the whole day making yardage books with his caddy to scope out every break on the green, etc.

Phil is probably one of the hardest preparers for a golf tournament there is. Vijay hits the most range balls but Phil prepares a lot more.

It doesn't seem like its helping him (Me= Tiger Fan) but Phils work ethic should not be questioned and whoever writes otherwise is just pure crazy.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Vintage;2188858 said:
That's funny.

Because Pelz has the exact opposite opinion on Mickelson, saying he hasn't met anyone with his creativity and work ethic...
You can't pay attention to Dave Pelz. Mickelson is far and away Pelz's biggest client. What's he gonna say? Mickelson is lazy? Pelz also said he's never seen Mickelson putting better than he was leading up to the British Open, when any fool could see Mickelson wasn't able to putt it in the ocean.

Lee Trevino said the same thing about Mickelson that Yakuza mentioned. For all the amazing talent that Tiger has, Trevino said that Mickelson was the most talented golfer that he'd ever seen. Difference is,Tiger gives his heart and soul to the game and would cut your heart out to win, while Mickelson would rather go out on his boat with his family or take an extended vacation than practice. Mickelson's excuse for not practicing much last offseason? He had some sort of unidentified respiratory illness. OTOH, Tiger gutted out a U.S. Open where he was in obvious pain with a significant injury. If that had been Mickelson, I doubt he would have even played.

Bennett strikes me as the same sort of personality. He's huge, athletic, and should be a fine NFL player. But the reality may be that he just doesn't care that much. He may even like the game of football. If he could be successful just by showing up on Sunday, fine. If not, that's fine, too. Either way, he may not be professional enough to work on his craft they way we heard in years gone by that Larry Bird and Magic Johnson did every summer.

If what we've seen so far is truly reflective of how he feels about the game, he just doesn't care that much. Maybe he doesn't have that little kid in him that loves the game dearly, or maybe he doesn't have the professionalism to be wholly dedicated to his job. Either way, I've had little league coaches that would've gone beserk on me if I'd blown them off the way he did John Garrett when he was trying to instruct him on Hard Knox. I think work ethic can be learned, even at his age, but this kid isn't starting out like somebody who'll justify his draft status. While I'm excited about most of the other guys we drafted, I can't say that I am about Bennett.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2188821 said:
The only thing I will say as far as the personal issue is that it didn't have anything to do with the NFL or the team. We don't know what it is, but if both he and Jerry said that it was over, then that's all that matters.

Sure - but we also heard it was over after the first day. Hearing that he's not involved in the issue but "just an observer" concerns me. It suggests that people around him are drawing him into crap he doesn't need to be a part of.

But, regardless of the issue, the fact is that this kid can't miss time and expect to have a role during the season. Missing the time does matter, excused or not. It hurts his progress.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;2188922 said:
Sure - but we also heard it was over after the first day. Hearing that he's not involved in the issue but "just an observer" concerns me. It suggests that people around him are drawing him into crap he doesn't need to be a part of.
Honestly, there's been no clues one way or the other to determine why he couldn't participate in practice. I find it difficult to leap to any sort of conclusion based on what's been reported. Per the reports, the matter was over after the first day.

There's been nothing offered up as to why he was late to practice. We can assume it's related to the personal issue, but I can't find a thing to get a feel one way or the other.

But, regardless of the issue, the fact is that this kid can't miss time and expect to have a role during the season. Missing the time does matter, excused or not. It hurts his progress.
Can't imagine you'll find a soul on here who would disagree with that, however, some things just can't be helped. And whatever the personal matter, it sounds like missing the walk thru couldn't be helped and may very well have contributed to his performance in the game. Who knows?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
ajk23az;2188917 said:
Actually, when Phil is entered in a tournament, he is there a on Monday instead of Tuesday like most golfers.

He then spends practically the whole day making yardage books with his caddy to scope out every break on the green, etc.

Phil is probably one of the hardest preparers for a golf tournament there is. Vijay hits the most range balls but Phil prepares a lot more.

It doesn't seem like its helping him (Me= Tiger Fan) but Phils work ethic should not be questioned and whoever writes otherwise is just pure crazy.
Mickelson does that at majors. It's not like he's doing that on a weekly basis.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
sago1;2188796 said:
Just saw this tidbit in FWST blog. Now I don't know if it was in a segment that Hard Knocks didn't show last Wednesday or if it will be in the upcoming segment tomorrow night. Yes, I know I'm overreacting and I stuck up for this pick in the draft & throughout much of the preseason, but seeing him in Hard Knocks segment last Wednesday (I've watched that show at least 6 times since original showing) and reading about him in last several days, he's really in my doghouse. I bet Jude Garrett (is that the right brother whose in charge of TEs) would like to strangle Bennett cause I sure want to. The below is all he's got to say about his first TC with the Cowboys. Man, I could really hate this kid. Anyway, this is what he told Hard Knocks (don't know date he allegedly said this to them):

With the NFL Films crews wanting him to talk about his time in camp he had this to offer: "I just want to go home. I miss my dogs and my house."

Well... not knowing the kid or his situation I can only say:

Right now, its not about football for him... something else is occupying his mind.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Jerry knows Cowboy fans and also knows Roy will play better this year.

He needed to draft Bennett for some of you to have something to complain about...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2188933 said:
Honestly, there's been no clues one way or the other to determine why he couldn't participate in practice. I find it difficult to leap to any sort of conclusion based on what's been reported. Per the reports, the matter was over after the first day.

There's been nothing offered up as to why he was late to practice. We can assume it's related to the personal issue, but I can't find a thing to get a feel one way or the other.

You sure about that? I thought one of the blogs noted the personal issue for being late as well. Ultimately, excuses don't matter. Excused or not. He's missed practice time. He plays perhaps the most difficult to position to play at the pro level. He needs to spend his time on the field, not on the phone in order to play well.

BTW -- I hope that isn't the Queen in your avatar. If so, she's not looking so well

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;2188959 said:
You sure about that? I thought one of the blogs noted the personal issue for being late as well. Ultimately, excuses don't matter. Excused or not. He's missed practice time. He plays perhaps the most difficult to position to play at the pro level. He needs to spend his time on the field, not on the phone in order to play well.
Maybe we read it differently. I just read that he was missing. But I don't know that it was posted that it was related to the personal matter. That said, I already know your stance on missing practices, so no need to continue that any further. Personal reasons need not apply. :)

BTW -- I hope that isn't the Queen in your avatar. If so, she's not looking so well
Bernie Mac... See avi title "I ain't scared of you..." :cool:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bennett has always been a bit of an odd ball and was at Texas A&M. No doubt he needs to get with the program right now and if he does I think people will see just way the Cowboys selected him.

newlander

Reaction score
Interesting pyscho-babble yakuza: OR he's just ......LAZY!!!!!!!!
Hopefully he'll grow up and out of it, preferrably before he gets cut because of all his nonsense and becomes an all pro with one of our division rivals.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Rich, since when do you need to be in shape to golf ?

I present John Daly...
http://cache.********.com/assets/resources/2008/03/daly.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;2189054 said:

I present John Daly...

And you wonder why he can't win on the PGA tour. :laugh2:

cowboys2233

Reaction score

I present John Daly...

And I present the Walrus...

CraigStadlerLg.jpg

cowboys2233

Reaction score

I present John Daly...

A friend once told me a story about a reporter who spotted John Kruk, former first baseman for the Phillies, sitting at a bar smoking a cigarette. The reporter walked up to him and said "John, why are you smoking? You're a professional athlete!" John replied, "Athlete? I'm not an athlete, I play baseball man!"

FCBarca

Reaction score
If you only go by what you see (Liberal media jokes aside), what does one see?...Without those rose colored glasses, just about anyone sees a football player that is not very disciplined or enthusiastically trying to do everything possible to be a positive addition...King laid down the gauntlet but Bennett hasn't done anything to change that assessment regardless of how it is spun.

And, quite frankly, this new 'revelation' that he has personal issues simply adds to the view that he's been a bad pick....Seems like a convenient excuse to suddenly bring up personal issues and how that may or may not be interfering with his attitude and work ethic.

If you only watched Hard Knocks you'd think this guy was a FA off the street rather than a 2nd round pick.

And, yeah, Hard Knocks has a distinctly more professional feel/look to it, IMHO, then the last time around a few years back...Anyone else get that sense too?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score

I present John Daly...
Are you sure this is recent? He may be even bigger than that. I saw him at the PGA and he was absolutely gargantuan. He looked like he might be pushing 3 bills.