Is Bledsoe as good as Danny White?

fortdick

Reaction score
I ask this question because White won a Superbowl. True, he had Dorsett running the ball and a defense that was one of the best, but if I think about it, he wasn't Staubach, or Aikman, or Meredith. He was above average to good, but not a dominating QB.

In this perspective, I believe Drew is better than White. JuJo may make the difference, if he can prove to be nearly productive as Dorsett. Our defense has the potential to be Doomsday-like in the near future. Our O-line is one of the best (on paper) and should make holes for the running game. Two great TE's and some productive WR's.

The question is whether Bledsoe can bring them along as a team. Is Parcells as good as Tom Landry? An argument can be made that he is. Whether they come out with the intensity and desire to win is what will be the determing factor, and I believe Bledsoe can bring that out.

Just the humble opinion of an old Cowboy fan.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
fortdick said:
I ask this question because White won a Superbowl.

When? As a backup to Staubach?

I didn't think that counted.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
White never won a superbowl...

And from my perspective, nope...White was the better QB.

jman

Reaction score
fortdick said:
I ask this question because White won a Superbowl. True, he had Dorsett running the ball and a defense that was one of the best, but if I think about it, he wasn't Staubach, or Aikman, or Meredith. He was above average to good, but not a dominating QB.

In this perspective, I believe Drew is better than White. JuJo may make the difference, if he can prove to be nearly productive as Dorsett. Our defense has the potential to be Doomsday-like in the near future. Our O-line is one of the best (on paper) and should make holes for the running game. Two great TE's and some productive WR's.

The question is whether Bledsoe can bring them along as a team. Is Parcells as good as Tom Landry? An argument can be made that he is. Whether they come out with the intensity and desire to win is what will be the determing factor, and I believe Bledsoe can bring that out.

Just the humble opinion of an old Cowboy fan.

In the sence that Drew was Brady's back-up in a Super Bowl and White was Roger's back up...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
Check your records...
White (Danny) Never won a Super Bowl...

Theoretically, neither did Bledsoe. Both got rings as backups.

Danny White got his first career start against the Jets in 1978 and relieved a concussed Roger Staubach in the playoffs against Atlanta, leading us to a victory with 14 unanswered points in the second half.

That helped us to achieve the Super Bowl that year as Bledsoe helped the Patriots go a few years ago.

I call it a wash.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Waffle said:
When? As a backup to Staubach?

I didn't think that counted.

White was the starting punter in 1977. He did out-punt the Broncos' Bucky Dilts by 3.4 yards per punt in the SB. He also completed one of two passes for 5 yards and scrambled for 13 yards.

By comparison, Bledsoe gained only 1 yard rushing in 1996 against the Packers and didn't punt at all.

There's no comparision, White was a much better punter and rusher than Bledsoe. Their QB ratings in the SB also favors Danny:

White 56.25
Bledsoe 46.61

Just playing around. Actually, I always liked Danny White and would say that he was a better QB than Bledsoe is.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
White played a good portion of the second half of Super Bowl XII when Roger hurt his elbow or wrist. White was less than impressive and mostly just handed off. Roger came back in the 4th quarter and handed off to Newhouse who threw a TD to Golden Richards.

In the 1978 season White did play very well against the Falcons at Texas Stadium in the Divisional Playoff. However, we lost the Super Bowl that year to the Refs (and the Steelers) in Miami.

I personally think they are somewhat similar in their accomplishments, but I would give White a slight edge over Bledsoe if I had to pick one to be my QB.

Alexander

Reaction score
bbgun said:
My sig says "no."

:)

It does bother me that Bledsoe is wearing #11.

Just like it bothered me when we gave Jackie Harris #88.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
:)

It does bother me that Bledsoe is wearing #11.

Just like it bothered me when we gave Jackie Harris #88.

Agreed. Bledsoe should wear #17. That's about his talent level.

btcutter

Reaction score
White managed the game well. He doesn't make costly mistakes. In that respect, he'll be a better Parcell QB as a bus driver. Bledsoe has more tools as a QB. However, he think he can get the ball into creases (which he does sometimes) and that often get him into trouble. He can make more plays and can carrie a team in his prime.

Bledsoe by a nose.

fortdick

Reaction score
Senility is setting in! For some reason, I though Danny White QB'd the '78 Superbowl, instead of Roger.

My bad. My post was a feculent erudition unworthy of this board.

Still, Danny White had the second highest career QB rating in Cowboy history, 81.7 (Staubach highest at 83.4, and Aikman third at 81.6) White was second to Aikman in TD passes with 155 to Aikman's 165 (Staubach was 3rd with 153).

Bledoe has averaged 1.22 TD's per Int vs. White's ratio of 1.17. Bledsoe has averaged 3317 yards a season to White's 1689 (admittedly the modern game has become more pass oriented). In the five years before he was injured and replaced by Brady, Bledsoe has an average QB rating of 81.04 vs. Danny White's 81.7 ( I didn't include his years with Buffalo because I don't feel they are representative of his abilities. His overall rating in Buffalo was 78.5).

In my opinion, Bledow is at least as capable as Danny White, and probably better. I expect he will be in Dallas for years to come and turn things around.

Alexander

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Agreed. Bledsoe should wear #17. That's about his talent level.

ROFL

Don't insult Don Meredith like that. ;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think that Bledsoe was better when young. At this point, who can say. The proof will be in the pudding.

Can't wait for August to role around.