Is Bledsoe as good as Danny White?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
fortdick said:
Senility is setting in! For some reason, I though Danny White QB'd the '78 Superbowl, instead of Roger.

My bad. My post was a feculent erudition unworthy of this board.

Still, Danny White had the second highest career QB rating in Cowboy history, 81.7 (Staubach highest at 83.4, and Aikman third at 81.6) White was second to Aikman in TD passes with 155 to Aikman's 165 (Staubach was 3rd with 153).

Bledoe has averaged 1.22 TD's per Int vs. White's ratio of 1.17. Bledsoe has averaged 3317 yards a season to White's 1689 (admittedly the modern game has become more pass oriented). In the five years before he was injured and replaced by Brady, Bledsoe has an average QB rating of 81.04 vs. Danny White's 81.7 ( I didn't include his years with Buffalo because I don't feel they are representative of his abilities. His overall rating in Buffalo was 78.5).

In my opinion, Bledow is at least as capable as Danny White, and probably better. I expect he will be in Dallas for years to come and turn things around.

This post is close to feculent erudition too. :D

You state that White averaged 1689 yards per season and then qualify that with the disclaimer that the modern game is more pass oriented but you leave out the fact that you are counting FIVE seasons in which White threw less than 50 passes in your 1689 yd average.

The more telling stat is that White averaged 7.44 per pass to Bledsoe's 6.58.

And then you selectively LEAVE OUT YEARS for Bledsoe??? Hello? Should we leave out White's stats after he broke his wrist so badly that he had to alter the way he threw the ball? If so, his lifetime rating would rise another 5 points.

Facts are facts. Lifetime QB rating, White 81.7, Bledsoe 76.7

Completion percentage? White 59.7 Bledsoe 57.

When White became the starter he put together 7 consecutive seasons where he threw at least as many TDs as Int's...in fact, 6 of the 7 he threw more TD's than Int's.

Bledsoe on the other hand has only had three, as in 3, consecutive seasons where he has thrown at least as many TDs as Int's. He's only thown as many TD's an Int's 7 times in his career.

And I'd be willing to bet that White's sacks per attempt is NO where near what Bledsoe's is.

I'm not suggesting that White is head and shoulders above Bledsoe but the numbers don't lie and neither does my memory.

White was the better QB.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99 said:
This post is close to feculent erudition too. :D

You state that White averaged 1689 yards per season and then qualify that with the disclaimer that the modern game is more pass oriented but you leave out the fact that you are counting FIVE season in which White threw less than 50 passes in your 1689 yd average.

The more telling stat is that White averaged 7.44 per pass to Bledsoe's 6.58.

And then you selectively LEAVE OUT YEARS for Bledsoe??? Hello? Should we leave out White's stats after he broke his wrist so badly that he had to alter the way he through the ball? If so, his lifetime rating would rise another 5 points.

Facts are facts. Lifetime QB rating, White 81.7, Bledsoe 76.7

Completion percentage? White 59.7 Bledsoe 57.

When White became the starter he put together 7 consecutive seasons where he threw at least as many TDs as Int's...in fact, 6 of the 7 he threw more TD's than Int's.

Bledsoe on the other hand has only had three, as in 3, consecutive seasons where he has thrown at least as many TDs as Int's. He's only thown as many TD's an Int's 7 times in his career.

And I'd be willing to bet that White's sacks per attempt is NO where near what Bledsoe's is.

I'm not suggesting that White is head and shoulders above Bledsoe but the numbers don't lie and neither does my memory.

White was the better QB.

Yep. And it's not really that close.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I see the legend of Danny White continues to grow.

At this rate, by this time next year, he'll be compared to Elway.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Chief said:

Heck, the legend of Scott Secules would grow if he was compared to Bledsoe.

:D

wxcpo

Reaction score
btcutter said:
He doesn't make costly mistakes.

Except that fumble against the 40 whiners in "The Catch" game that cost us a trip to the superbowl.

Overall though I'd take Danny White over Bledsoe any day of the week, especially on Sundays.

Tripod

Reaction score
Do you think there might be just a little homerism here?
White was a DALLAS COWBOY. Bledsoe hasn't taken a snap
here yet, whatd'ya think the general consensus would be here?
Bledsoe has far more physical tools than White had. White had
a D that clamped down on the opponents and a back that chewed
up the field. Bledsoe has had that kind of offensive support only
2 years and the D only came up big in his third year in Buffalo.
He's never played behind a decent O line and he's about to play
for his 7th different offensive coach.
If Bledsoe had played with the boys when White did, oh my!

Reaction score
I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents... Danny White was very underrated & way better than Bledsoe ever was. The stats don't mean squat. Back when Danny took over the reins, the NFC east was WAY tougher than the AFC east. (No stats to back this up, but my alcohol fuzzed brain remembers it that way.) Bledsoe may have put up similar stats, but for half the season, he was facing teams inferior to those the 'Boys did for half the season.

twa

Reaction score
Chief said:

IF he had Elways arm strength there MIGHT be a reasonable comparison.
Danny's biggest drawback was not enough zip on the ball,especialy after the wrist injury.

Yes I am a little prejudiced .....Danny is still the man :banghead:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
White was better. And I hate people always ragging on him for "not winning the big game". The man got us to 3 straight NFC title games, something Staubach never did. Granted he lost all 3 games, but he could win playoff games. He didnt have the defense or the offensive line that Staubach had either. Of course Roger was better, but he also had a slightly more complete team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:
White was better. And I hate people always ragging on him for "not winning the big game". The man got us to 3 straight NFC title games, something Staubach never did. Granted he lost all 3 games, but he could win playoff games.
White gets ragged on for more than the "not winning the big game" reason. And I'm sorry, winning playoff games doesn't mean much sometimes when the bar is usually set a little higher. Ask McNabb.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
White was better. And I hate people always ragging on him for "not winning the big game". The man got us to 3 straight NFC title games, something Staubach never did. Granted he lost all 3 games, but he could win playoff games. He didnt have the defense or the offensive line that Staubach had either. Of course Roger was better, but he also had a slightly more complete team.

Actually, Danny had talented teams the three seasons after Staubach retired, but failed to get the job done. That was a painful stretch, losing to the Eagles, 49ers and Commanders in successive seasons. But at least we can take note of the fact that two of three were eventually NFL champions.

I used to harbour ill will towards him for years. But once we hit this recent run of pathetic QBing over the last ten years, I appreciated what he did a little more.

For every miscue he made in a big game, he made big plays along the way.

I relate him to Donovan McNabb. Good QB who choked in the big ones. That still does not diminish his overall career when the dust settles.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
PaEagleHater said:
If clark doesn't get open for montana white would of won a super bowl.

Actually if Drew Pearson had a tear away jersey, we might still have won that game. We were driving at the end. It was not like "The Catch" sealed the victory, even though ESPN romanticizes it to be the case.

And who was responsible for the fumble that Jim Stuckey recovered? I don't quite recall the exact details, but it was either a sack by Lawrence Pillars or a bad exchange with Tom Rafferty. Which is right?

Anyone know?

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Think about this- just after THE CATCH, WHite Hit Pearson going across the middle- and but for a shirtail tackle he would have gone all the way. THen WE would have faced the Bungals in the SB. And Beat Them. That win would have given confidence to White and the team in him to get them there. I think that we would have won at least one other SB after that. Oh, well.

Actually, it was the dreaded, outlawed horse-collar tackle.

fortdick

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
What does that have to do with the price of riace in China? He also played for entirely different league when he came out of college. Then, when he arrived in the NFL it wasn't with the Winers.

It has to do with the assertion that Bledsoe is over the hill. At 33, he has a lot of football left.

lockster

Reaction score
White was a great qb. Maybe not as good as Roger or Aikman, but he had to waste yrs. to get a chance and then he didn't have to same talent soon after getting to be the starter. I use to love the way he was so accurate. Also, the times where he came in and handed off, who didn't do that under Landry for awhile till Landry developed trust. Kinda of like Aikman only wanting to throw to certain receivers or our coordinators not letting certain players in the game. I would absolutely love to have a qb of White's talent leading our team right now. I would be in ecstacy. There are just some players who never get their due. " D. Woodson" for one.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
In my opinion....White was not a good QB. He was average.

Great guy.....but average skills.