Is Bledsoe as good as Danny White?

fortdick

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think that Bledsoe was better when young. At this point, who can say. The proof will be in the pudding.

When he was young? Heck, he is only 33! Steve Young didn't start for the 49'ers until he was 30. Minus any serious brain damage (like Troy risked, God Bless him) he shold be able to play productively for another 5 years! This guy brought New England along, and I would argue, the except for an injury that gave Brady his shot, we would be saying Bledsoe built the Patriot dynasty.

I think this offense is going to be very good. If our defense returns to 2003 form (which by the talent added, should not be unreasonable) the Cowboys are going to be in the NFC hunt.

This year you will see! Offensive numbers are going to be unlike anything we have seen since 1995! If the defense can play shut down football, 12 wins is easily possible.

CosmicCowboy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Agreed. Bledsoe should wear #17. That's about his talent level.

Hold on, one of the Hero's that put the Cowboys in the nation's eye was No.17 Dandy Don.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
fortdick said:
When he was young? Heck, he is only 33! Steve Young didn't start for the 49'ers until he was 30. Minus any serious brain damage (like Troy risked, God Bless him) he shold be able to play productively for another 5 years! This guy brought New England along, and I would argue, the except for an injury that gave Brady his shot, we would be saying Bledsoe built the Patriot dynasty.

I think this offense is going to be very good. If our defense returns to 2003 form (which by the talent added, should not be unreasonable) the Cowboys are going to be in the NFC hunt.

This year you will see! Offensive numbers are going to be unlike anything we have seen since 1995! If the defense can play shut down football, 12 wins is easily possible.

96/97/98 time frame. I think that Bledsoe was really playing very good football. I disagree with you on Bledsoe and Brady. I think that eventually, Brady would have gotten an opportunity. Bledsoe's TD to INT ratio's in 99/00 really opened the door for alternatives IMO but hey, who knows.

I would agree that this year, we will see, as well. I would not say that we will be better then anytime since the 95 season as nothing has been proven yet. We will, however, see. 12 wins with a new QB, a new defense and some many young players is a great deal to ask.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CosmicCowboy said:
Hold on, one of the Hero's that put the Cowboys in the nation's eye was No.17 Dandy Don.

You're right.

I apologize.

I've just insulted Dandy Don by comparing him to Quincy and Bledsoe.

CosmicCowboy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You're right.

I apologize.

I've just insulted Dandy Don by comparing him to Quincy and Bledsoe.

No problemo, its just that 'Dandy Don' is one of my alltime favorite Cowboy .

jem88

Reaction score
btcutter said:
White managed the game well. He doesn't make costly mistakes. In that respect, he'll be a better Parcell QB as a bus driver. Bledsoe has more tools as a QB. However, he think he can get the ball into creases (which he does sometimes) and that often get him into trouble. He can make more plays and can carrie a team in his prime.

Bledsoe by a nose.
Hey man, I was a big Danny White fan but I'm not sure we can say that he didn't make costly mistakes. I was young so my memory is hazy but I remember him screwing up in some way against the Skins, in 1983 I believe it was. Something to do with Landry yelling "no Danny, no!" from the sidelines. I remember him being a big play QB, not really a bus driver. He really had it going in the first half of the 1986 season, until Carl Banks broke his wrist in the infamous Phil Pozderac game (righteousness check: am I being cruel to Poz here? Should I reference that game in another way? Let me know Dargon et al...) He was never the same after that and neither were the Cowboys until Jimmy Johnson took over.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fortdick said:
Steve Young didn't start for the 49'ers until he was 30.
What does that have to do with the price of riace in China? He also played for entirely different league when he came out of college. Then, when he arrived in the NFL it wasn't with the Winers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
What does that have to do with the price of riace in China? He also played for entirely different league when he came out of college. Then, when he arrived in the NFL it wasn't with the Winers.

This is correct. LA Express, I think, and then possibly the worst NFL team I've ever seen in the Tampa Bay Bucs of the early 80s. Horrid I tell you.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I believe it's fair to compare the two. It's really, really close.

You really can't use statistics anymore to compare players of different eras, but there are some that provide a useful comparison.

Both have the exact same TD to INT ratio as career passers. Both players earned a SB ring as a backup, though Bledsoe at least got his team there early in his career.

Danny White has a slightly higher overall career QB rating, but it's worth noting that Bledsoe threw for over 4000 yards twice in his career, and Danny never did.

I am not a big fan of Danny White. He always seemed to make that crucial mistake that cost us in the big games (I still hear echo's of Landry yelling "No, Danny, No!" from the sidelines).

It's a push, really, but I'm going to give the edge to Bledsoe. He, at least, is 2-0 in AFC Championship games (remember, Brady was injured in the Raiders-Patriots Championship game). Danny White's NFC Championship record, well lets not go there!

Edit: LOL just saw people other than me remember the No Danny No, I find that humorous. In case anyone cares, you can find White's career stats here: http://www.footballdb.com/players/whiteda02 and Bledsoe's here: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1041

MissionCoach

Reaction score
Personally I don't think White ever got the credit he deserved...especially following Roger Staubach...VERY TOUGH Act to follow...didn't we have a Danny White thread not too long ago???

Anyway I vote for White over Bledsoe, as it stands now however, that could change, and hopefully will.

twa

Reaction score
White was clearly more agile and better at reading defenses IMO,however I have to say Bledsoe has a stronger arm and a much larger build,
Comparing stats alone is hardly fair since they played a decade or two apart,offenses and defenses have changed greatly.
Despite never making it to the Superbowl, White put up Campionship quality play at TWO positions.....Not many can lay claim to that...Oh and the Defense has to take a healthy chunk of the blame in 81 :banghead:

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
twa said:
White was clearly more agile and better at reading defenses IMO,however I have to say Bledsoe has a stronger arm and a much larger build,
Comparing stats alone is hardly fair since they played a decade or two apart,offenses and defenses have changed greatly.
Despite never making it to the Superbowl, White put up Campionship quality play at TWO positions.....Not many can lay claim to that...Oh and the Defense has to take a healthy chunk of the blame in 81 :banghead:

Good Comparison.

I think when all is said and done, White and Bledsoe will be considered to have been in a similar class.

Good, but not all-time great.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bledsoe prove me wrong though.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
twa said:

Danny White was far more accurate of the two... and remember Danny White led the best Cowboy offense ever--- Better than Roger, Better than Troy. Those offenses in the early 80's were magnificent.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Think about this- just after THE CATCH, WHite Hit Pearson going across the middle- and but for a shirtail tackle he would have gone all the way. THen WE would have faced the Bungals in the SB. And Beat Them. That win would have given confidence to White and the team in him to get them there. I think that we would have won at least one other SB after that. Oh, well.

scottsp

Reaction score
This is outright blemphemy. I miss you, Danny. Somebody please hold me.