Is Brockers Too Risky at 14?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Gaede;4520983 said:
I don't see anything that Brockers actually does. I don't see it. hin I've see

Matter of fact, of all the guys in this draft, I think he gets abused more often than the rest of them. There are so many plays where he not only does nothing, but also just gets completely blown off the ball
I watched a lot of LSU, and I don't recall seeing him get abused much.

Still, at 14, you hope to get a player with tremendous game-breaking potential, and I don't believe Brockers has that.

Gaede

Reaction score
Double Trouble;4520987 said:
I watched a lot of LSU, and I don't recall seeing him get abused much.

Still, at 14, you hope to get a player with tremendous game-breaking potential, and I don't believe Brockers has that.

Yeah I take that back. Abused was the wrong word. Pushed back, rather

Sonny Koufax

Reaction score
Gaede;4520983 said:
I don't see anything that Brockers actually does. I don't see it. hin I've see

Matter of fact, of all the guys in this draft, I think he gets abused more often than the rest of them. There are so many plays where he not only does nothing, but also just gets completely blown off the ball

I think you're just making things up now. I understand not everyone is wanting him, but why do the majority of the REAL draft guys all high on Brockers and his potential?
But a bunch of wanna be GM's have determined him to be trash.:bang2: Odds are that Kiper, Mayock, McShay etc are a little more trust worthy. Brockers could be a bust, he could be a star, I don't know. He's not my first choice, but I would be fine with him.

JBS

Reaction score
Sonny Koufax;4520993 said:
I think you're just making things up now. I understand not everyone is wanting him, but why do the majority of the REAL draft guys all high on Brockers and his potential?
But a bunch of wanna be GM's have determined him to be trash.:bang2: Odds are that Kiper, Mayock, McShay etc are a little more trust worthy. Brockers could be a bust, he could be a star, I don't know. He's not my first choice, but I would be fine with him.

pretty much how i feel

Barron
DeCastro
Brockers

my top 3

assuming cox is gone

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sonny Koufax;4520993 said:

And that's what you want to do with the #14 overall pick?

Roll the dice?

May be a 'star', may be a 'bust'?

Great, I guess it's not the end of the world, with moves like this you'll have a Top 10 or better pick the following year anyway...

:rolleyes:

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Gaede;4520991 said:
Yeah I take that back. Abused was the wrong word. Pushed back, rather
I'm guessing you didn't watch much of LSU last season.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Chuck 54;4520930 said:
No risk at all...no chance of bust.

Immediately effective in our rotation at DE.
Moves to T in nickle.
He does more than hold his ground and take on double teams.

Brockers is going to pay dividends for many years for the team that drafts him.

if I had any doubts about not wanting Brockers you just cleared them up.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4520942 said:
Heres a stat for you guys

Alabama played both Miss St and LSU

Cox was double teamed 8 times
Brockers was double teamed 42 times

I saw this as well except it said Brockers was double teamed 30 times out of 42 plays.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Teague31;4520843 said:
I really don't think we can afford to miss on this pick. Brockers scares me to death. I'm not a big fan of taking a 3-4 DE in round 1 unless they can contribute as a pass rusher. Brockers is not that guy. MAYBE he can be someday but to me the risk is too high in round 1.

If Decastro and Barron were gone, I'd say no. But right now, I'm Barron first, DeCasttro second and likely Brockers third.

assuming there is 0% chance Cox is available

JBS

Reaction score
Brockers is going to be a beast..

Very hard for me to decide between Brockers and Decastro.

I think ive finally decided that Barron is my top choice

Big Cat

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4520921 said:
you absolutely hate him, lol..everyone on the planet has a different opinion on brockers than you do..

i respect your opinion..itll be fun seeing how it turns out
Not everyone. I have been saying this about Brockers for a while now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Gaede;4520983 said:
I don't see anything that Brockers actually does. I don't see it.

He doesn't get pushed off the line of scrimmage.

The only thing Brockers hasn't shown is an ability to get after the QB.

Im not for or against Brockers. If we draft him i'll cheer for him.

I just think right now he is our 3rd option and I think the Cowboys will select Decastro as their last resort if Cox, Barron, and Brockers are gone.

The reason I think Decastro is the 4th option is because I think the Cowboys know they will have to get real lucky to get a DL in the 2nd. Interior OL is all through this draft.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no problem with Brocker I just don't feel he is worth a 14th overall. I think there are better players we can get at 14

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4521252 said:
I have no problem with Brocker I just don't feel he is worth a 14th overall. I think there are better players we can get at 14

The thing is if we don't take him @ 14 than the Eagles will probably take him at 15.

I think he is probably worth a top 15 pick because of the upside and position he plays.

Honestly though I think this guy is going to be another Chris Canty.

Tex

Reaction score
I dont want him anywhere in the first round. 14 is absurd. At 45 he is worth taking a flyer on him.

He would be a better DT in a 4-3 then a DE in a 3-4.

Tex

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;4521260 said:
The thing is if we don't take him @ 14 than the Eagles will probably take him at 15.

I think he is probably worth a top 15 pick because of the upside and position he plays.

Honestly though I think this guy is going to be another Chris Canty.

I wish I could agree with you I have doubts about Brockers. This years draft has not been viewed at a great Defensive front draft. I think there are some good players out there but I see very few that I think will develope into Pro Bowl caliber players.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
2. MICHAEL BROCKERS Louisiana State 6-5 319 5.27 1

He doesn't rush the passer nearly as well as Cox but is a far more effective run stopper. "He's a monster against the run," one scout said. "Throws guys around." Redshirted in 2009, played off the bench in '10 and started in '11 before declaring two years early. "Next year he is easily a top-10 pick," another scout said. "If you get him 10 to 20 now you're going to be doing A-OK. He can play the run today. Difficult to move. Tremendous hand placement. He may not be factor as a rusher with the exception of pushing the pocket and getting his hands up, which is valuable." Has long arms (35) but, somewhat strangely, small hands (9 1/8). "You're hoping you're getting the old days when John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth and Marcus Stroud were in their prime," a third scout said. “That’s what you hope you’re drafting.” Finished with 79 tackles (11 for loss) and two sacks. Finished with 79 tackles (11 for loss) and two sacks. Hails from Houston.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;4521296 said:

He doesn't rush the passer nearly as well as Cox but is a far more effective run stopper. "He's a monster against the run," one scout said. "Throws guys around." Redshirted in 2009, played off the bench in '10 and started in '11 before declaring two years early. "Next year he is easily a top-10 pick," another scout said. "If you get him 10 to 20 now you're going to be doing A-OK. He can play the run today. Difficult to move. Tremendous hand placement. He may not be factor as a rusher with the exception of pushing the pocket and getting his hands up, which is valuable." Has long arms (35) but, somewhat strangely, small hands (9 1/8). "You're hoping you're getting the old days when John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth and Marcus Stroud were in their prime," a third scout said. “That’s what you hope you’re drafting.” Finished with 79 tackles (11 for loss) and two sacks. Finished with 79 tackles (11 for loss) and two sacks. Hails from Houston.

If by chance the Cowboys draft him I can't say I would be thrilled but I will support him and hope he develops into a top player in this league. I have my own views on players and draft picks but I don't act like a Jets fan or eagles fan and boo the player because I have a different view. On Thursday we will get the newest member of the Cowboys and as a fan I will welcome the guy with open arms. My hope is we look to someone else but if not I will hope for the best

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
CATCH17;4521296 said:

No one wants to hear that. I admit, I'm luke warm on him, even after film study I think he has a lot of potential I'm just not sure he is what we need right this moment but there are people who get paid a lot more then I do with a lot more experience and have a much more proven track record who say he's a gem and value at 14. I'll take their opinion every time. If I was hearing a few here and there who liked him and the majority was on the fence I might have a different opinion but 9 out 10 GM and Scouts love the kid and what he brings to the table. I'll side with them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4521300 said:
If by chance the Cowboys draft him I can't say I would be thrilled but I will support him and hope he develops into a top player in this league. I have my own views on players and draft picks but I don't act like a Jets fan or eagles fan and boo the player because I have a different view. On Thursday we will get the newest member of the Cowboys and as a fan I will welcome the guy with open arms. My hope is we look to someone else but if not I will hope for the best

Yeah im not sky high on Brockers or anything. I have a good idea of what he'll be for us and it's not what we need right now but I think we'll be glad we have him down the road.

We could've just Re-Signed Canty a few years back and avoided this though.

We've let our division rivals steal all of our depth on the DL and now we have to use a premium draft pick on it.