Is Brockers Too Risky at 14?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4521399 said:
I bet Brockers would take some snaps at NT as well..it would help keep Rat fresh..

If he compares to John Henderson like some scouts are saying then yeah you're probably right.

John Henderson is one of the scariest players i've ever seen in the NFL. I can't believe he had to waste his whole career in Jacksonville.

[youtube]Qa1lY--7H-g[/youtube]

JBS

Reaction score
CATCH17;4521410 said:
If he compares to John Henderson like some scouts are saying then yeah you're probably right.

John Henderson is one of the scariest players i've ever seen in the NFL. I can't believe he had to waste his whole career in Jacksonville.

Ryan loves rotating players..Brockers would be playing everywhere..DE, DT, NT..It makes a lot of sense

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SDogo;4521302 said:
No one wants to hear that. I admit, I'm luke warm on him, even after film study I think he has a lot of potential I'm just not sure he is what we need right this moment but there are people who get paid a lot more then I do with a lot more experience and have a much more proven track record who say he's a gem and value at 14. I'll take their opinion every time. If I was hearing a few here and there who liked him and the majority was on the fence I might have a different opinion but 9 out 10 GM and Scouts love the kid and what he brings to the table. I'll side with them.

Not me.

I question.

Doesn't matter who it is.

Nobody within this organization is so infallible that they should get a free pass for draft genius.

Many of the same folks who brought us the epic disaster known as 2009 are still around.

I never claim to be completely right but I don't others a free pass either.

Their track record doesn't deserve it.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521405 said:
And?

He's a good, not great player.

And if that's who you want to compare Brockers to, do it all the way or don;t do it at all.

The fact is that - like Canty - Brockers isn't worth taking at #14 overall. Canty at least had a body of work to look at rather than the dreaded 'P' word which would get real GM's not related to owners fired.

Michael Brockers has the dreaded "P" Word, when projecting his potential to rush the passer. But, there is no "P" word involved when it comes to his ability to make an impact in the run game.

And the ability to get someone who if he "busts" you have a Marcus Spears, that is actually a very solid pick at #14. Because there are not alot of guys available at #14 that are viewed as sure things to be in the league 8 to 10 years from now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMCowboy;4521438 said:
Michael Brockers has the dreaded "P" Word, when projecting his potential to rush the passer. But, there is no "P" word involved when it comes to his ability to make an impact in the run game.

And the ability to get someone who if he "busts" you have a Marcus Spears, that is actually a very solid pick at #14. Because there are not alot of guys available at #14 that are viewed as sure things to be in the league 8 to 10 years from now.

Really?

You wouldn't consider Barron or DeCastro surer things over Brockers?

When I look at them, I don't see 'maybe'.

I don't see 'might'.

I don't see 'potential'.

I see players with accomplishments.

Guys who have done it.

Consistantly and over a longer period of time.

I see a tremendously lesser amount of risk and possible bust factor.

And that's what I'm looking for at #14 - the sure thing.

So I'm not back here next year picking in the same range next year because 'potential' never showed up.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
stasheroo;4521454 said:
Really?

I don't see 'might'.

I don't see 'potential'.

Guys who have done it.

So I'm not back here next year picking in the same range next year because 'potential' never showed up.

I feel like Brockers is a sure thing to be good at controlling the LOS and stopping the run. The huge upside with him is people who think he can rush the passer.

I like taking guys like him who are solid with huge boom potential. Like a Demarcus Ware or like the Giants took with JPP.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521418 said:
Not me.

I question.

Doesn't matter who it is.

Nobody within this organization is so infallible that they should get a free pass for draft genius.

Many of the same folks who brought us the epic disaster known as 2009 are still around.

I never claim to be completely right but I don't others a free pass either.

Their track record doesn't deserve it.

It isn't just our draft scouts that as a whole love Michael Brockers.

Charlie Casserly said he was the safest player in the draft. As SDogo said, 9 out of 10 NFL Scouts love him. There is a reason that so many scouts and evaluators are very high on him. Because his upside is that of a sure fire top 5 pick, but his downside is that of a late first round pick, because at his worst he is viewed as a sure thing to become another Igor Olshansky.

When Igor Olshansky before his wheels wore out is the worst that you can become, and you have the potential to become a John Henderson type player, that will get alot of NFL scouts attention....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;4521465 said:
I feel like Brockers is a sure thing to be good at controlling the LOS and stopping the run. The huge upside with him is people who think he can rush the passer.

I like taking guys like him who are solid with huge boom potential. Like a Demarcus Ware or like the Giants took with JPP.

If he had anywhere near the athletic ability of either of the guys you mentioned, perhaps I could see your point.

But it's not there. Not close.

And again, if you're talking about someobody who 'can;t be moved' talk about nose tackles. If that's his best attribute at the defensive end spot, I don't think he's worth taking at #14.

I will continue to hold out hope that all of this talk is just nonsense and misdirection by the team to try to mask their true intentions to take Barron or DeCastro.

JBS

Reaction score
After doing a little bit of research..I'm not totally sure Brockers is even in play at 14..im starting to think he's a trade down option..

ddh33

Reaction score
Big ceiling. Low floor.

I think you know exactly what you would be getting with him, but I worry you would always be hoping for more.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMCowboy;4521485 said:
It isn't just our draft scouts that as a whole love Michael Brockers.

Charlie Casserly said he was the safest player in the draft. As SDogo said, 9 out of 10 NFL Scouts love him. There is a reason that so many scouts and evaluators are very high on him. Because his upside is that of a sure fire top 5 pick, but his downside is that of a late first round pick, because at his worst he is viewed as a sure thing to become another Igor Olshansky.

When Igor Olshansky before his wheels wore out is the worst that you can become, and you have the potential to become a John Henderson type player, that will get alot of NFL scouts attention....

Even with the names you mentioned, I don't see how any of them were worth the #14 pick either.

Henderson was a 4-3 defensive tackle and Olshansky was drafted at pick #35 of the second round?

Again, I'll take a guy compared to Steve Hutchinson over a guy compared to Olshansky myself!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ddh33;4521496 said:
Big ceiling. Low floor.

I think you know exactly what you would be getting with him, but I worry you would always be hoping for more.

And don't we have too many guys fitting that description already?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Just a point, anyone can bust. Remember when Bobby Carpenter was the "safest" pick we could make?

SMCowboy

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521454 said:
Really?

I don't see 'might'.

I don't see 'potential'.

Guys who have done it.

From the reports I have read from respected NFL minds. I don't think that Barron, or DeCastro are any more of a sure thing that Brockers is. And if anything, I think Brockers "the bust", is a better player than Barron "the bust", or DeCastro "the bust".

Everything I have seen from respected NFL minds, say that even if Michael Brockers fails to develop the pass rushing ability that many think he will develop once he learns how to play in his new body. You still get a 20 year old Igor Olshansky.

That said, if it was up to me, going just off the data I have, the order I would take them in is: Barron, DeCastro, and Brockers. But, I would have them all as 1A, 1B, and 1C. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

kmd24

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521405 said:
And if that's who you want to compare Brockers to, do it all the way or don;t do it at all.

I'm not interested in comparing him to anyone. I don't like Brockers and I hope he is not our selection.

Nevertheless, a flaw in logic is a flaw in logic whether you like it or not.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521499 said:
Even with the names you mentioned, I don't see how any of them were worth the #14 pick either.

Henderson was a 4-3 defensive tackle and Olshansky was drafted at pick #35 of the second round?

Again, I'll take a guy compared to Steve Hutchinson over a guy compared to Olshansky myself!

Yeah, that is a good comparison, compare Brockers at what he is at his worst. To what many think DeCastro will become.

If you want to have a true apples to apples comparison, compare Brockers to what many think he can and will become then compare Richard Seymour to Steve Hutchinson.

You are right, Michael Brockers "the bust" (aka Igor Olshansky) is not worthy of the #14 pick, but he still absolutely is someone that you want on your team. And when I was talking Igor Olshansky, I was talking about what respected NFL minds think is the worst that Michael Brockers will become is. If he does develop his pass rushing skills which many think he will, then you have yourself a Richard Seymour or Calais Campbell.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if this "interest" in Brockers is real or just a ruse put out there to try and get Philly to trade ahead of us to take him so another player can fall.

Word is Philly really likes him and if we don't take him, they will. Seen a video of him on ESPN or NFLN and they were asking him about elevating his pass rush game and he said he is training with one of the Philly Coaches (Dline coach? do not remember the coach's name).

So maybe, just maybe, this brockers talk is nothing more than Smoke in the hopes of having another player taking and leaving another player to fall to us.

One thing that keeps coming back to me is Rob Ryan, early in the process, saying he is only looking at DBs. I imagine he was probably told to shut it after that comment as we have not heard much of a peep since that time.

ddh33

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521501 said:
And don't we have too many guys fitting that description already?

Exactly. And someone else already made the Bobby Carpenter connection too. Carpenter, as a bust, is still a role player in the NFL.

I just want something more than a role player.

If Brockers does become the pick, I will be rooting that he becomes more than that. I am just skeptical.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Brockers was only slightly more noticeable n film than Poe, and pretty much everyone believes he will bust.

I just don't want another Marcus Spears.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
CATCH17;4520912 said:
The Cowboys will pick him before they pick Decastro so start getting used to Brockers.
That would be disappointing