CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

kskboys

Reaction score
In my opinion, only Allen and Mahommes are actually playing good enough to warrant the big contracts earned in the NFL, but starting QBs on second contracts are all making mega-bucks. That’s just the facts. It is what it is. If you find a starting QB who doesn’t stink and shows potential, you have to pay him or forget winning for years until you are in the 2-3 teams that find a good rookie starter in the draft.

Now, if you have a defense like the Cowboys have, you should be able to win with a journeyman, lower tier veteran QB. (Tell that to Chicago and Denver who had had great defenses for a few years with nothing to show for it). Dallas either thinks Dak is a big time QB or can be, or they never envisioned having a defense like the one they have now. They were invested in the Romo type team, all on offense, almost nothing on defense. Even when we had the stud Ware, our defense was porous. They continued this with Dak….see the receivers drafted and traded for, the OL and Zeke money. They had to pay the QB. None of us, including Jerry anticipated or even dreamed we’d get the players and coach to turn around this defense so fast.
And we were so stupid we traded down. Man, anyone who couldn't see the obvious talent in Parsons needs to pick another sport!!!!! He was a complete no doubter.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great defenses are very difficult to keep together with Cap. We have a small window before we have to start paying them .

I’ll give us a couple years and then it will start falling apart as we have to pay Parsons and Diggs.

That’s life with the Cap. And why you must strike while the iron is hot. Before the bill comes in and you have to anty up.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t see us stopping from doing anything we need to

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we can’t make a deeper run these next couple years with Dak and this defense , I’d say time to move on.

And with next year Daks final year of current contract Id draft a QB. Especially if this season is another disappointment.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It’s mainly because we hit the lottery on what appears to be a generational talent on defense in Parsons.

The defense was trending up but this illustrates what elite talent does for you.
I agree on Parsons, but they’ve done much more than him to avoid having another Hall of Fame player like DWare on a still garbage defense. They’ve improved the DT play, increased depth at LB, a big hit on Diggs, and totally rebuilt the Safety group while striking gold on defense with Quinn just like Jimmy struck gold on offense with Norv Turner. It’s also been exciting to see them write checks to guys like Armstrong and draft Williams, making edge rushers the strongest position on the team, imo.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree on Parsons, but they’ve done much more than him to avoid having another Hall of Fame player like DWare on a still garbage defense. They’ve improved the DT play, increased depth at LB, a big hit on Diggs, and totally rebuilt the Safety group while striking gold on defense with Quinn just like Jimmy struck gold on offense with Norv Turner. It’s also been exciting to see them write checks to guys like Armstrong and draft Williams, making edge rushers the strongest position on the team, imo.
Yes, they have made some improvements all around on defense but is it the huge impact without the pressure and havoc Parson brings? IDK

mcmvp

Reaction score
I’d argue franchises are more focused on establishing continuity and stability which provides a consistent playoff contender that a franchise QB can provide even if not Elite.

Well that part is just the goal which most teams have always had.

I thought the question was why have teams started overpaying. And I think is because they got caught up in rising cap values…basically thinking that ‘the money will be there to pay for it later’. It’s also because agents do their job well as far as the ‘well this guy got that, so my guy has to get this’…. and the media today puts a lot of pressure on teams to ‘just pay the man’….‘it’s his turn to get paid’, etc.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well that part is just the goal which most teams have always had.

I thought the question was why have teams started overpaying. And I think is because they got caught up in rising cap values…basically thinking that ‘the money will be there to pay for it later’. It’s also because agents do their job well as far as the ‘well this guy got that, so my guy has to get this’…. and the media today puts a lot of pressure on teams to ‘just pay the man’….‘it’s his turn to get paid’, etc.
Yea, I don’t think it’s something they’ve just started doing .

The pressure is more about starting over looking for another QB once they have found one who brings some level of success to build around.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Yea, I don’t think it’s something they’ve just started doing .

The pressure is more about starting over looking for another QB once they have found one who brings some level of success to build around.

Absolutely that’s a huge part. It’s the devil you know thing.

I wish more GMs would stop and consider that Wilson was a 3rd rounder, so was Foles, Brees was a 2nd rounder, Warner wasn’t even drafted, and we all know about Brady. The whole ‘we need to be in the top 5 or 10’ in order to get a QB is such BS. A lot of teams feel that if they’re not going to be in the top 5 or 10 then it’s not worth perusing the QB position. I believe that is faulty thinking

If teams avoid the overpaid QB pitfall, they may find it’s a lot easier to build a better overall roster that would make a 2nd or 3rd round QB look like a 1st rounder.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
Dak is just a JAG and for $160M, just a travesty. One of Jethro’s worst decisions he has ever made. He over pays and then signs thrift store players like LVE who is a bust.

wssaustin

Reaction score
When the studs in defense out of their rookie contract, Micah, Diggs, Osa, Tristen, etc., their next contract won't be cheap, especially Micah, we probably looking at $20mil/year.
We had to play Dalton Schultz $10mil this year, and CD Lamb's next contract will only be more.
Nevertheless, the need for OL (hopefully Tyron Smith can either play up to this contract or have it restructured,).

Holes all over and yet Dak enjoys eating the whole pizza and getting fat.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, seems like there are three options. Re-sign Prescott, take their chances in the draft or go the Indy route and bring "should have retired" QB's in on after another after another after another. Because they're not getting a QB in his prime from another team.

I think some here make the mistake of applying their own measure of success against Prescott and do not consider the owner's. They are vastly different.

While I do not like Booger, no owner gets the NFL any better than he does. He was actually the first to point out what it is, entertainment. Fans and sponsors do not demand championships or even contention, they prove that by continuing to show up and show their financial support.

He has used the word "relevant" quite a bit and since 40M seems to be the median for franchise QB's now, do you think he regrets that deal? Has that prevented him from doing whatever he wants with this team? And to top that all off, he has a QB that loves the media almost as much as he does. He gives interviews even when he's sidelined with injury and just like his benefactor delivers the "just wait until I get back".

Personally, I think it is crazy what Prescott is making, especially weighed against the results but that's what this game is all about. Going for the gold.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, seems like there are three options. Re-sign Prescott, take their chances in the draft or go the Indy route and bring "should have retired" QB's in on after another after another after another. Because they're not getting a QB in his prime from another team.

I think some here make the mistake of applying their own measure of success against Prescott and do not consider the owner's. They are vastly different.

While I do not like Booger, no owner gets the NFL any better than he does. He was actually the first to point out what it is, entertainment. Fans and sponsors do not demand championships or even contention, they prove that by continuing to show up and show their financial support.

He has used the word "relevant" quite a bit and since 40M seems to be the median for franchise QB's now, do you think he regrets that deal? Has that prevented him from doing whatever he wants with this team? And to top that all off, he has a QB that loves the media almost as much as he does. He gives interviews even when he's sidelined with injury and just like his benefactor delivers the "just wait until I get back".

Personally, I think it is crazy what Prescott is making, especially weighed against the results but that's what this game is all about. Going for the gold.
Well said.

Booger has proven beyond any doubt whatsoever that winning is not among his primary goals.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well said.

Booger has proven beyond any doubt whatsoever that winning is not among his primary goals.
And I wonder how many other owners would take his "winning" over a ring?

Think a bunch of business people sitting around those meetings covets Kraft's rings or Booger's Forbes ranking and even the attention his team gets?

One thing he did really got my attention. It was either last season or the one before the Cowboys were flexed out of the prime spot and into the early CBS game, the worst place to be ratings wise. We were all "serves him right" and all he did was turn that into a "the league needs the heavyweight to help them out in the early game". That was CBS' top early game all season long. Mr. Positive was right again.

I do not think he is a good football man but no owner gets his team like Booger does. He knows exactly what he's doing in that promotional arena and has even admitted to seeking that out to keep his team where it is, unmatched by any other pro sports team on the planet.

When you really stop to think about how much attention this franchise gets as opposed to what it has actually accomplished, it is amazing and while I used to give credit to Johnson turning this around, this is going on 27 years and they've done nothing but are still the most discussed and watched pro franchise there is. That doesn't just happen.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well done Coach!!

It’s difficult for fans to come to terms their priorities aren’t always aligned with that of ownership.

And that the NFL is a business first. The “ entertainment “ value you mentioned does take precedence over the game itself.

The “ relevance and interest “ our owner has often used does drive decision making.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tex Schramm told Jethro Jone$ early on that success on the field drove the Iconic brand he had built. And he has brilliantly placed revolutionary revenue streams in place so that success on the field isn’t necessary to continue the popularity of the Iconic brand.

It begun with bringing on Fox, the NFL Network and more coverage. Then the Salary Cap and suing the league for stadium sponsorship. Many more revenue streams like Fantasy Football and legalized gambling he’s been on the forefront as well as expansion and movement of teams to LA to increase revenue.

Once the stadium was built and other revenue streams in place like PSL’s and limiting the sell out black out rule being able to broker out unsold tickets the stage has been set for every team making money without success on the field.

Jethro has challenged the league on man fronts to further his brand . In order to fulfill his intentions he had to carry the rest of the league with him. And was inducted into the HOF for those contributions.

It’s established the enormous revenue juggernaut optimizing the NFL iconic brand along with the Cowboys. And the NFL has evolved more into a sports entertainment entity than just a football league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The driving force behind his revenue brilliance was to ensure remaining the GM running football operations wouldn’t deter the revenue.

He knew from Tex that being successful on the field was vital in previous eras and why the Cowboys were currently losing money and struggling to put butts in the seats.

And why he initially brought in someone he not only personally knew and trusted but someone he thought could turn the tide quickly . Which he did. He just didn’t expect him becoming more of the face of his team that he had intended to be.

That was our first illustration that winning championships wasn’t enough or even the top priority if he wasn’t the man .

This set in motion after the fallout and the enormous criticism he faced after the departure of Jimmy establishing his efforts for the revenue streams . Which enabled him to remain head of football operations despite the lack of success on the field.

All he’s had to do with the revenue secure is sell hope and hype his product attempting to keep the fans interest and remain relevant. Everything else he felt he could manage in the public eye.