CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

Nope! Did you read all the comments in that "I Love Tony Romo" thread about 2 weeks ago before it was deleted? That thread was hijacked by Dak haters because the topic was about Romo's retirement press conference. Romo lovers who love Romo and not the team decided to hijack the thread and bash Dak instead of posting their great memories of Romo and all his accomplishments.

The root of their hatred is Dak taking Romo's job. That thread proved it!!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Nope! Did you read all the comments in that "I Love Tony Romo" thread about 2 weeks ago before it was deleted? That thread was hijacked by Dak haters because the topic was about Romo's retirement press conference. Romo lovers who love Romo and not the team decided to hijack the thread and bash Dak instead of posting their great memories of Romo and all his accomplishments.

The root of their hatred is Dak taking Romo's job. That thread proved it!!

No, it's not.

I was probably Romo's biggest fan. But I wasn't upset when Dak took his job.

I still think he's capable. And, yes, the contract is really the only issue. That , and he hasn't really done it consistently against winning teams.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is. In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts. I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it. It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA. And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process. Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.

It doesn't get "PUT" on the QB, the QB is holding out for that overpayment. I would argue the burden should indeed be on the QB.
"Should they say no boss don't overpay me"?
When a player holds out, demanding huge and totally unreasonable compensation that IS on the QB, not on the owner.
Then if the QB doesn't live up to his end of the bargain, that clearly places the burden squarely on said QB's shoulders.
Gross overpayment to a QB hurts the success of their team and it's players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The fact is you could put andy dalton or possibly even cooper rush with this team and 40 million spent else where and we would be better THATS my complaint.
I think that’s arguable . Dalton proved over his career with Bengals he was definitely a solid starter as they made the playoffs about 7 times without looking it up . And they always had a good defense with HC Lewis. But I don’t believe ever won a playoff game. And that was in his prime.

And while Rush was a very suitable backup I’m not sure how far we go with a 26th or 27th ranked offense. Maybe we are a potential playoff team. But I suspect it would look more similar to the Egirls game.

Signing a Non Elite Franchise QB ultimately is a solid recipe to remain a consistent playoff contender. The closer he is to Elite will obviously enhance the potential of going deeper in the playoffs. And sometimes after only 4 or 5 seasons of their initial seasons you can’t be absolutely certain they could increase their skills and if with a better supporting cast they could develop with more production. It’s a calculated risk based on the success you’ve had.

Personally as a fan I’d be drafting QB’s more regularly always having more options so I’m not investing in less than Elite QB’s but if I’m an owner with billions at stake I might prefer stability and consistent contender over rolling the dice and possibly suking a few years before I struck gold on an Elite QB.

Last edited:

mcmvp

Reaction score
I understand but paying Non Elite QB’s “ market price” is common standard regardless whether we agree with it or not.

And we might need to define successful. Fans definition could vary from the owners.

If these Non Elite Franchise QB maintain a consistent playoff contender that provides stability these franchises can sell and hype their product then that’s probably worth the investment even if it could limit their ability to win a championship.

I agree that it is more common than it should be, but I would stop short of saying it's "common standard". Belichick wouldn't do it...and didn't even w/ Tom Brady. Pete Carroll did it once, but didn't want to do it again with Wilson (smart move). The Ravens are hesitating with Lamar. I think there are signs that some teams are taking notice and not willing to just "follow the trend" of overpaying. I pray that Howie will be one of them - time will tell.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It doesn't get "PUT" on the QB, the QB is holding out for that overpayment. I would argue the burden should indeed be on the QB.
"Should they say no boss don't overpay me"?
When a player holds out, demanding huge and totally unreasonable compensation that IS on the QB, not on the owner.
Then if the QB doesn't live up to his end of the bargain, that clearly places the burden squarely on said QB's shoulders.
Gross overpayment to a QB hurts the success of their team and it's players.
I agree with your last sentence. But I don’t agree it’s on the QB. Who is the bigger fool. No one holds a gun to the owners head.

These players are mostly all in to get their payday. Fans get too wrapped up in winning championships. That’s an ultimate goal for owners and players but not the immediate priority. Making money is. The NFL will always be a business first.

And what bargain are you referring to living up to? Do you think that a QB receiving a top contract is some kind of agreement they are going to win a championship?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree that it is more common than it should be, but I would stop short of saying it's "common standard". Belichick wouldn't do it...and didn't even w/ Tom Brady. Pete Carroll did it once, but didn't want to do it again with Wilson (smart move). The Ravens are hesitating with Lamar. I think there are signs that some teams are taking notice and not willing to just "follow the trend" of overpaying. I pray that Howie will be one of them - time will tell.
Those examples sound more like the exception , not the rule.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I agree with your last sentence. But I don’t agree it’s on the QB. Who is the bigger fool. No one holds a gun to the owners head. These players are mostly all in to get their payday. Fans get too wrapped up in winning championships. That’s an ultimate goal for owners and players but not the immediate priority. Making money is. The NFL will always be a business first. And what bargain are you referring to living up to? Do you think that a QB receiving a top contract is some kind of agreement they are going to win a championship?
Demanding elite compensation without giving elite performance is failure to live up to your end of the bargain.
No you can't guarantee a championship because the performance of 31 other teams figure into the equation. Your QB can only answer for his own performance, and when his performance consistently falls way short of his humongous contract, that blame belongs to said QB. Period.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
I think the criticism follows the money. The bigger the delta between the amount a player is paid and his performance on the field the more criticism he will get. Dak is a good player. He is not a top tier QB, but he is good. He is not $40 million a year good. Never was. But as I have said, it is not just the amount they paid him. They gave him effectively a 4 year deal and that means he will be due another contract in 2 years. How much will he ask for then? $50 million? $60 million?

His contract does hurt the team and if he doesn't play well it is especially bad because the front office cannot afford to put enough good players around him to compensate for his mediocre play.

If Dak had signed a 10 year deal, like Mahomes, I wouldn't be as irked by his contract. At least we would know that while Dak is overpaid early in the deal, it would even out in the later years. But in 4 years the Cowboys cannot spread out his bonus as much and they have to go back to the table and negotiate a new deal again. With Dak on a 4 year deal, it is highly likely that he will get paid more money over 10 years than Mahomes.
Let him walk before doing a new deal, if someone else offers him a big deal so be it. This in my mind is bonus to us as we won’t waist the prime years of our defense with a second big deal from Dak. We need a bus driver right now and use the money on the great defense and supporting cast for the future bus driver.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
No, it's not.

I was probably Romo's biggest fan. But I wasn't upset when Dak took his job.

I still think he's capable. And, yes, the contract is really the only issue. That , and he hasn't really done it consistently against winning teams.

Says you. So I take it you didn't see that thread? Obviously you didn't.

Romo and Dak pretty much have an identical record against winning teams. So if you're saying Dak only wins against bad teams then Romo is just like him. The BIG difference is that Romo's legacy is set in stone while Dak is still carving away at his.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Those examples sound more like the exception , not the rule.

Isn't that the point? That there shouldn't be a rule that says 'it's just our turn to overpay? A practice that has become more common than it should does not mean it's the right practice.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Isn't that the point? That there shouldn't be a rule that says 'it's just our turn to overpay? A practice that has become more common than it should does not mean it's the right practice.
As I stated. It doesn’t matter what you or I would do.

Let me ask you this. Why do you think it is more common?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Demanding elite compensation without giving elite performance is failure to live up to your end of the bargain.
No you can't guarantee a championship because the performance of 31 other teams figure into the equation. Your QB can only answer for his own performance, and when his performance consistently falls way short of his humongous contract, that blame belongs to said QB. Period.
Define elite compensation . I’d argue what you or I as fans would be thinking might be different from ownership.

Jethro has stated his priority is “ interesting and relative “.

My hunch is fans place higher expectations or attachments to these contracts .

mcmvp

Reaction score
As I stated. It doesn’t matter what you or I would do.

Let me ask you this. Why do you think it is more common?

Because some teams have gotten caught up in the rising cap value and have gotten carried away.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because some teams have gotten caught up in the rising cap value and have gotten carried away.
I’d argue franchises are more focused on establishing continuity and stability which provides a consistent playoff contender that a franchise QB can provide even if not Elite.

kskboys

Reaction score
Allen and Mahomes are disproving that now and Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Lawrence will soon.

It is just going to be the price any team has to pay to have one of the top guys and no owner is going to let one of those guys walk over money, the fans and media will make sure of that.

Is paying Prescott 40M keeping the Cowboys from getting to the dance or is it something else? They didn't let Cooper go over money, he pissed Booger off by missing games and not anointing his QB openly.

If I were a GM, I would have the #1 rule in place at all times. If I am going top dollar for the QB, priority 1A is stopping the run because they can use that to keep my rich guy on the sideline.

The problem with the Cowboys is that they're not good team builders so paying a QB 40M gets magnified but that is not the reason they are not dancing.
They're not, CC. You have to look at what happens when they start having to release players, then we'll know if their salary keeps them from the big dance.

If you are overpaying any player for their production, they are part of keeping you from the super bowl.

Now, QBs are a different matter. You have to overpay and that is accepted. However, grossly overpaying is another matter.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
In my opinion, only Allen and Mahommes are actually playing good enough to warrant the big contracts earned in the NFL, but starting QBs on second contracts are all making mega-bucks. That’s just the facts. It is what it is. If you find a starting QB who doesn’t stink and shows potential, you have to pay him or forget winning for years until you are in the 2-3 teams that find a good rookie starter in the draft.

Now, if you have a defense like the Cowboys have, you should be able to win with a journeyman, lower tier veteran QB. (Tell that to Chicago and Denver who had had great defenses for a few years with nothing to show for it). Dallas either thinks Dak is a big time QB or can be, or they never envisioned having a defense like the one they have now. They were invested in the Romo type team, all on offense, almost nothing on defense. Even when we had the stud Ware, our defense was porous. They continued this with Dak….see the receivers drafted and traded for, the OL and Zeke money. They had to pay the QB. None of us, including Jerry anticipated or even dreamed we’d get the players and coach to turn around this defense so fast.

kskboys

Reaction score
In my opinion, only Allen and Mahommes are actually playing good enough to warrant the big contracts earned in the NFL, but starting QBs on second contracts are all making mega-bucks. That’s just the facts. It is what it is. If you find a starting QB who doesn’t stink and shows potential, you have to pay him or forget winning for years until you are in the 2-3 teams that find a good rookie starter in the draft.

Now, if you have a defense like the Cowboys have, you should be able to win with a journeyman, lower tier veteran QB. (Tell that to Chicago and Denver who had had great defenses for a few years with nothing to show for it). Dallas either thinks Dak is a big time QB or can be, or they never envisioned having a defense like the one they have now. They were invested in the Romo type team, all on offense, almost nothing on defense. Even when we had the stud Ware, our defense was porous. They continued this with Dak….see the receivers drafted and traded for, the OL and Zeke money. They had to pay the QB. None of us, including Jerry anticipated or even dreamed we’d get the players and coach to turn around this defense so fast.
And even w/ those two, it remains to be seen if they can be contenders w/ their salaries. Gonna be interesting.

Overpaying Brees resulted in a .500 team for 3-4 yrs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s mainly because we hit the lottery on what appears to be a generational talent on defense in Parsons.

The defense was trending up but this illustrates what elite talent does for you.