CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

jrumann59

Reaction score
I suspect Romo's injury and wanting to avoid a similar time period between Aikman and Romo and the QB carousel Dallas went through had something to do with it.
I can agree to this if you look around the NFL since Dak got here how many teams were looking for QBs and failed in the draft or ones that finally found a QB after numerous failures in the draft. Washington has been looking for a franchise QB since their last SB win.

Aftershock

Reaction score
If so many fans see or believe he’s not as talented , why do you think our ownership , front office and coaching staffs were all in or more sold on him? And willing to overpay with casualties to Cap.
Because like the FO, I was happy to pay him that contract with confidence that he would play up to it. The 1st half of the 2021 season he was on that trajectory of proving his contract with his solid play. But injuries, Cooper leaving, and his dud on week 1 angered everyone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good post. Dak will be paid 49 million, Mahomes 46 million, Rodgers, Murray, Carr all in the 40-46 million range. If I'm going to give my QB "the bag" he better be able to get more done with less. He should also have at least one skill that makes him stand out. BTW, Watson is getting paid 52 million. I think Seattle made a smart move, traded Russ for a bounty of draft picks.
I’d argue unless you have a bonafide Elite QB , I’d bring in a new draft pick practically every 4-5 years. Maybe more often.

Why over pay all of these average caliber QB’s.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree but this is what owners and or front offices choose to do. It’s all part of the league now despite how ridiculous it is.
You know the old saying. Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it the correct move. Or something like that!!!!

Oh oh oh, I remember now, the old parents' saying: Well if everyone is jumping off a bridge, you gonna do that too?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because like the FO, I was happy to pay him that contract with confidence that he would play up to it. The 1st half of the 2021 season he was on that trajectory of proving his contract with his solid play. But injuries, Cooper leaving, and his dud on week 1 angered everyone.
Disagree. You don’t pay them on futures. We paid him based on what we had seen and the success he had already had.

These ownerships don’t view it as fans do. If they find a franchise QB regardless whether he’s Elite or not they are going to lock him up cause it brings stability to their team and easier to sell over several years.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d argue unless you have a bonafide Elite QB , I’d bring in a new draft pick practically every 4-5 years. Maybe more often.

Man, I'm waiting for the overdue market correction. Sooner or later teams should realize paying average guys huge salaries keeps them out of the super bowl.

JayFord

Reaction score
yes

anyone who gets a second contract gets bashed here

mark this down....these people will turn on Micah and treat him like Jaylon Smith when he inks that second one

kskboys

Reaction score
If so many fans see or believe he’s not as talented , why do you think our ownership , front office and coaching staffs were all in or more sold on him? And willing to overpay with casualties to Cap.
Because Jerry and his merry band of Einsteins are notoriously bad at player evaluation. This horrific weakness of theirs taints every aspect of our org.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You know the old saying. Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it the correct move. Or something like that!!!!

Oh oh oh, I remember now, the old parents' saying: Well if everyone is jumping off a bridge, you gonna do that too?
I agree .

If it was me if we didn’t have a bonafide Elite QB , I’d keep bringing in others or continue using draft capital like we do other positions. But I’m afraid these ownerships have different priorities than fans .

Franchise QB’s , Elite or not, provide stability which is easier to sell, hype and promote for the fanbase.

And why Jethro has often stated “ interesting and relative” is main priority. And that’s what these Non Elite Franchise QB’s provide whether it’s Dak, Watson, Murray, Carr or Watson for examples.

And why unfortunately they are willing to over pay. Cause 10-11 wins consistently is better than those down years to finally hit the jackpot. Instead they’d rather gamble they can build around a less than Elite QB. That’s how I see it anyway. That’s what the Cap has done to the league regarding these QB’s.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
yes

anyone who gets a second contract gets bashed here

mark this down....these people will turn on Micah and treat him like Jaylon Smith when he inks that second one

Truth. People here fall for the crabs in a bucket mentality set up by ownership.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.

If there were no salary cap, nobody would care. But when we are sitting here talking about not wanting to sign or trade for a WR because DJ Moore has too big of a contract.... there is the problem.

If Dak's contract had no impact on those other decisions, nobody would ever mention what he makes. But it does and people do.

fansince68

Reaction score

Yes!!! Why not develop multiple qbs and let the best man play. I've always felt that qb competition was very healthy for a team. The cream rises to the top. Dak played his best ball when Romo and Sanchez were watching from the bench.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Man, I'm waiting for the overdue market correction. Sooner or later teams should realize paying average guys huge salaries keeps them out of the super bowl.
But that’s assuming the SB is top priority.

I’d argue based on the actions we’ve seen this era that having a Non-Elite QB provides these franchises stability over an era. It doesn’t necessarily provide championships.

But the importance of the position versus the cap implications have skewed the capability of building championship caliber teams.

I’ve come to the conclusion that remaining interesting and relative with even an over paid Franchise QB provides these franchises their priority which is better than more continually down years waiting on the more Elite QB .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If there were no salary cap, nobody would care. But when we are sitting here talking about not wanting to sign or trade for a WR because DJ Moore has too big of a contract.... there is the problem.

If Dak's contract had no impact on those other decisions, nobody would ever mention what he makes. But it does and people do.
I agree. But ultimately who manages the Cap and contracts.

This is an issue the owners and league created not the players.

Swagger

Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.
Yes.
I have always been of the view that a team should ride a competent QB during their rookie contract and then move on to a QB that had been drafted in round 1 or 2 a year before the remaining QBs final year. If that subsequent QB drafted is utterly hopeless (unlikely with good scouts drafting a QB for a good team) then draft another QB in round 1 or 2 again.

Elite/play making quarterbacks that make the difference in winning some games are paid which would include the likes of Allen and Mahomes. The rest are not. Prescott falls in to the latter along with the likes of Cousins and Carr. Stafford is an interesting one as he's not elite but he is a high end QB and the Rams worked their salary cap to win the Superbowl last season and they didn't have injuries to key players until the Superbowl itself when OBJ was on course to be the MVP. It was high risk as they didn't have great depth but it worked out for them obviously. Teams that pay Quarterbacks yet are not elite/play makers generally do not win Superbowls so I wouldn't bang my head against the wall and follow the herd.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree .

If it was me if we didn’t have a bonafide Elite QB , I’d keep bringing in others or continue using draft capital like we do other positions. But I’m afraid these ownerships have different priorities than fans .

Franchise QB’s , Elite or not, provide stability which is easier to sell, hype and promote for the fanbase.

And why Jethro has often stated “ interesting and relative” is main priority. And that’s what these Non Elite Franchise QB’s provide whether it’s Dak, Watson, Murray, Carr or Watson for examples.

And why unfortunately they are willing to over pay. Cause 10-11 wins consistently is better than those down years to finally hit the jackpot. Instead they’d rather gamble they can build around a less than Elite QB. That’s how I see it anyway. That’s what the Cap has done to the league regarding these QB’s.
In our case it's not gambling. We simply are too dumb for accurate player evaluations.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Can't read a defense. Holding the ball too long. Not passing with anticipation. Send a man across the formation and watch Dak's High passes. Behind passes. Late passes. Dirt passes.
Dak can only throw the deep ball(sometimes) and comebacks(sometimes). He can't hit a moving target in stride to save his life across the formation. And you wonder why KM runs these basic plays. Dak is why.

This clown demanded to be paid like the best of the best. He was offered a fair contract, but he demanded the big dog contract.
Now he gets the big dog treatment. Put up or shut up. He hasn't done either. His play is bad and talks way too much.

I think some fans see what they want to see and ignore what they dont. Dak does have his flaws, but in play 2 of the below video I think he may have hit Schultz in stride.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I don't know if everyone was all in or sold on him.

The only person that has to be all in or sold on him is Jerry.

Then of course everyone else will stay in their lane because they want to keep their job.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes!!! Why not develop multiple qbs and let the best man play. I've always felt that qb competition was very healthy for a team. The cream rises to the tip. Dak played his best ball when Romo and Sanchez were watching from the bench.
Surely there are other Cooper Rush’s out there?

College teams continue brining in new QB’s every 3 or 4 years. Why can’t the NFL.

We have more revolving doors in most positions now unless your Elite. Why not the QB. It would allow to build much stronger supporting cast and simply insert a QB.

Unfortunately I believe there’s a bigger issue at play for franchises though than winning championships.