CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

Swagger

Reaction score
You can’t skew in the Franchise Tag with 4 year contract and then use average as comparison. They are separate factors.

And it appears you are saying Daks stats before signing his contract supports he was worth the contract. And why Jethro thought he was Elite.

Did you think he’s an Elite QB that has become a Dud after signing contract?

Personally I never bought in he was Elite and once he turned down the 35 million , I might have Franchise Tagged him only to give me more time to draft or find a replacement.
At the time I stated on the old board that we should have traded Prescott after his first season. We could have got perhaps 3 first rounders for him as he was being hyped up to the hilt at that point when I thought he was more a product of a once in a generation O line, a running back drafted in the top 5 picks, an All Pro WR and likely future Hall of Fame Tight End. We could have effectively ended up with Allen or Mahomes at QB AND two first round draft picks! If a team wants to dominate or even win a SB then they need to take a risk like that. Remember Herschel Walker? 2nd team All Pro in 1987 and 1988 yet thank you very much for the trade.

JayFord

Reaction score
Why are Franchises willing to over pay Non Elite Qb’s who strain the ability to build a greater team around them?

You have to overpay for a Decent QB......its a QB driven league and having one will keep you in any game and give you a shot at postseason success

if youre talking truly elite QBs this year only Buffalo and Kansas City have that right now

Diehardblues

Reaction score
With Jerry, hope springs eternal.
He was hoping after signing Dak
He would take the next step forward.
I think it’s even more than that.

Much like with Romo, he saw in Prescott enough to hype, promote and sell. Interesting and Relative as a playoff contender is better than struggling winning only 5 or 6 games.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
All QB's whove been shown to put up great numbers and can win between 8-12 going to be labeled a franchise QB

Jay Culter was given a boatload of money
Matt Stafford in detroit was as well despite never winning a playoff game and being something like 0-30 against winning teams
Kirk Cousins gets to the playoffs like once every 2 years

its just the way the NFL is with the QB position
I would really like to see a QB salary cap within the overall salary cap.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why are Franchises willing to over pay Non Elite Qb’s who strain the ability to build a greater team around them?

Because there are few QB who will ever be elite. Why did Deshawn Watson get his deal? Or Murray or Carr. It is hard to find good QB let alone elite and teams will pay to get a good QB not just the Cowboys but every team out there

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You have to overpay for a Decent QB......its a QB driven league and having one will keep you in any game and give you a shot at postseason success

if youre talking truly elite QBs this year only Buffalo and Kansas City have that right now
Right

And this is the bigger priority for Franchises. Having a QB who keeps them in the hunt for playoffs. Not necessarily enough to win championships.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The lamest part of this is “we can’t have nice things because of what we pay the QB” or Booger insinuating that it is the QB’s responsibility to allow them to manage the cap better, totally their responsibility.

They are under the cap and what they are paying him isn’t keeping them from filling out the team.

I don’t care what they pay him. My chief complaint about Prescott’s game is when they face the A List teams, he does not bring his A game. He has not risen to the occasion.

Swagger

Reaction score
They play the % to remain competitive to stay relevant in terms of staying around .500 or slightly higher but they are unable to win a SB bar exceptional circumstances.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think it’s even more than that.

Much like with Romo, he saw in Prescott enough to hype, promote and sell. Interesting and Relative as a playoff contender is better than struggling winning only 5 or 6 games.
Very true.
It fits the Jerry wanting to keep the Cowboys relevant narrative.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You can’t skew in the Franchise Tag with 4 year contract and then use average as comparison. They are separate factors.

And it appears you are saying Daks stats before signing his contract supports he was worth the contract. And why Jethro thought he was Elite.

Did you think he’s an Elite QB that has become a Dud after signing contract?

Personally I never bought in he was Elite and once he turned down the 35 million , I might have Franchise Tagged him only to give me more time to draft or find a replacement.

No, he didn't turn into a dud after the franchise tag but neither did he turn into an elite QB. Dak is a slightly above average QB that, in my two cents opinion, did not deserve the contract he received and I agree with you that upon franchise tagging him in 2020 Dallas should have begun the process of seeking out a replacement QB via the draft.

JayFord

Reaction score
I would really like to see a QB salary cap within the overall salary cap.

with the popularity of the NFL all the commercials, ads, ticket prices, jersey sales and the way it has a chokehold on the mainstream media in the next 30 years you may see the first billion dollar contract for a qb

they're already getting 100 million dollar contracts like candy when i was growing up 100 million was unheard of

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They play the % to remain competitive to stay relevant in terms of staying around .500 or slightly higher but they are unable to win a SB bar exceptional circumstances.
Yep

And this is the same story for many teams with Non-Elite Franchise QB’s.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.
It was always more about the language in the contract, and the stance that Dak and his agents stood firm on until they broke Jerry.
If it was just the money, then no issue, that's the way the game is played and payed.
Not leaving this franchise an out, and being stuck with a bad meal and a big bill is probably what leaves such a sour taste in a lot of Cowboys fans mouths.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, he didn't turn into a dud after the franchise tag but neither did he turn into an elite QB. Dak is a slightly above average QB that, in my two cents opinion, did not deserve the contract he received and I agree with you that upon franchise tagging him in 2020 Dallas should have begun the process of seeking out a replacement QB via the draft.
Yep

How foolish was it from our ownership to pay a Non- Elite QB top money hoping he’d meet those lofty expectations?

Makes you wonder if there was higher priorities or agendas driving Jethro’s decision? Or he is simply a horrible talent evaluator?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You want this brain trust drafting the franchise QB?

They lucked into a 4th rounder and an UDFA prior to that.

Hell. I think we are lucky to have Prescott because these people can and have done worse.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was always more about the language in the contract, and the stance that Dak and his agents stood firm on until they broke Jerry.
If it was just the money, then no issue, that's the way the game is played and payed.
Not leaving this franchise an out, and being stuck with a bad meal and a big bill is probably what leaves such a sour taste in a lot of Cowboys fans mouths.
Yes, but I’d argue we had a choice to walk away.