CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know if everyone was all in or sold on him.

The only person that has to be all in or sold on him is Jerry.

Then of course everyone else will stay in their lane because they want to keep their job.
That’s what I mean. No one else spoke out. Not even after they left Dallas.

Bing

Reaction score
Giving Dak a second contract was stupid. Sure your goal is to build around your QB giving him the best players available but in Daks case there are not enough good players in the NFL to do that. He would need the perfect team to succeed and that just doesn't exist in reality. We are stuck with him for a few more years until we can hopefully draft a rookie in the 1st round. Lets just hope we dont waste to many other players careers waiting on Dak to leave. But if history shows us anything Dallas has no problem doing just that. We did the exact same thing with a QB named Romo.

Swagger

Reaction score
I agree .

If it was me if we didn’t have a bonafide Elite QB , I’d keep bringing in others or continue using draft capital like we do other positions. But I’m afraid these ownerships have different priorities than fans .

Franchise QB’s , Elite or not, provide stability which is easier to sell, hype and promote for the fanbase.

And why Jethro has often stated “ interesting and relative” is main priority. And that’s what these Non Elite Franchise QB’s provide whether it’s Dak, Watson, Murray, Carr or Watson for examples.

And why unfortunately they are willing to over pay. Cause 10-11 wins consistently is better than those down years to finally hit the jackpot. Instead they’d rather gamble they can build around a less than Elite QB. That’s how I see it anyway. That’s what the Cap has done to the league regarding these QB’s.
You make an excellent point. Owners decide whether they want to actually risk winning a SB, such as solid/good teams drafting a QB in the 1st round like Mahomes and Allen or go all in with the salary cap like the Rams last season bringing in a high end QB in the process to get over the hump. Or you play the %, overpay for a solid QB and become a good team that is unable to win a Superbowl unless exceptional circumstances come your way...which could be this season looking at how weak the NFC is - the Cowboys may only have to beat one good team (Eagles/49ers if they are healthy) to reach the Superbowl.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
That’s what I mean. No one else spoke out. Not even after they left Dallas.
When does things like that ever happen though? You rarely see people speak out about not wanting a player after they are away from that organization.

I would assume that they probably want to work somewhere again. It's best to not burn bridges on your way out, while also not showing prospective teams that you are a push over.

We also don't know what goes on behind closed doors. There very well could be former front office people that have expressed that they didn't want Dak at that money, but we don't know it because they don't say it to the media.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Disagree. You don’t pay them on futures. We paid him based on what we had seen and the success he had already had.

These ownerships don’t view it as fans do. If they find a franchise QB regardless whether he’s Elite or not they are going to lock him up cause it brings stability to their team and easier to sell over several years.

Part of it is owners, as you have said, overpaying and overvaluing average to slightly above average QB's. Part of it is owners being desperate to have what 'they think' is an elite/franchise QB. Part of it is player's/agent's taking advantage of those aspects as well as rising salaries and asking for the moon.

That said, keep in mind that before Jerry franchise tagged Dak in 2020, and keep in mind that Dak and his agency declined a reported contract offer of 5 years/$175M, here is what Dak's 'average' season was based on the previous 4 years (2016-2019; 64 games played):

341 completions
518 attempts
65.8% Comp %
3,945 yards
11.57 ypc
24 td's
9 int's

On a per game basis, that breaks down to the following per game average performance: 21 completions 32 attempts 65.6% comp % 247 yards 11.76 ypc 1.5 td's .6 int's

Given Dak's injuries from 2020-2022, season stats can't be fully computed so based on a per game average basis, here is Dak's stats since being franchise tagged in 2020 (23 games played):

26 completions 38 attempts 68.4% comp % 289 yards 11.12 ypc 2 td's .7 int's

While many will disagree, those are in fact average stats for a QB but because of the above listed reasons (and of course there are more than what is listed) Dak was paid what he was paid. That is my opinion as to whether Dak was worth the franchise tag and was he worth the contract offer but the fact is he turned down a 5-year $175M contract offer ($35M/year average) prior to 2020 and instead ultimately ended up with 5 years (franchise tag and then new 4-year deal) $191.4M ($38M/year average), a difference of $16.4M total or $3M/year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Giving Dak a second contract was stupid. Sure your goal is to build around your QB giving him the best players available but in Daks case there are not enough good players in the NFL to do that. He would need the perfect team to succeed and that just doesn't exist in reality. We are stuck with him for a few more years until we can hopefully draft a rookie in the 1st round. Lets just hope we dont waste to many other players careers waiting on Dak to leave. But if history shows us anything Dallas has no problem doing just that. We did the exact same thing with a QB named Romo.
Do it once , shame on me. Twice , Shame on you.

Looks like our ownership is a poor talent evaluator or has different priorities.

fansince68

Reaction score
Surely there are other Cooper Rush’s out there?

College teams continue brining in new QB’s every 3 or 4 years. Why can’t the NFL.

We have more revolving doors in most positions now unless your Elite. Why not the QB. It would allow to build much stronger supporting cast and simply insert a QB.

Unfortunately I believe there’s a bigger issue at play for franchises though than winning championships.
I think back up qbs make a decent salary. Therefore I think we need to draft 2 rookies and let them battle it out to make the roster and push the back up. I'd want the rookie to bring something "dynamic" to the table like running ability, cannon for an arm something that can be developed.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Can't read a defense. Holding the ball too long. Not passing with anticipation. Send a man across the formation and watch Dak's High passes. Behind passes. Late passes. Dirt passes.
Dak can only throw the deep ball(sometimes) and comebacks(sometimes). He can't hit a moving target in stride to save his life across the formation. And you wonder why KM runs these basic plays. Dak is why.

This clown demanded to be paid like the best of the best. He was offered a fair contract, but he demanded the big dog contract.
Now he gets the big dog treatment. Put up or shut up. He hasn't done either. His play is bad and talks way too much.
:hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When does things like that ever happen though? You rarely see people speak out about not wanting a player after they are away from that organization.

I would assume that they probably want to work somewhere again. It's best to not burn bridges on your way out, while also not showing prospective teams that you are a push over.

We also don't know what goes on behind closed doors. There very well could be former front office people that have expressed that they didn't want Dak at that money, but we don't know it because they don't say it to the media.
And why it’s likely they were sold on Prescott as well. While I understand the frustration, disappointment and much justified criticism I can’t help but feel some of this is sour grapes from fans if Dak is indeed the major dud some fans are claiming holding him practically solely responsible for the Cowboys not having more success.

And if history proves Prescott was this major Dud then Jethro should receive the brunt of criticism for not only believing and over paying him but selling and hyping him as Elite. Perhaps it could go down as greatest mis evaluation of a QB.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.
Understand what you posted, but here is the thing if you pay your qb elite money
It's harder to surround him with talent.
So if your qb does not elevate the other players it's hard to win.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
And why it’s likely they were sold on Prescott as well. While I understand the frustration, disappointment and much justified criticism I can’t help but feel some of this is sour grapes from fans if Dak is indeed the major dud some fans are claiming holding him practically solely responsible for the Cowboys not having more success.

And if history proves Prescott was this major Dud then Jethro should receive the brunt of criticism for not only believing and over paying him but selling and hyping him as Elite. Perhaps it could go down as greatest mis evaluation of a QB.
No one player is soley responsible, but when you're getting the biggest chuck of the pie and you're nowhere near the best player on the team then it comes with the territory.

Be great when it means something and shut those fans that don't believe in you up, or heck, give those fans a reason to believe in you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Part of it is owners, as you have said, overpaying and overvaluing average to slightly above average QB's. Part of it is owners being desperate to have what 'they think' is an elite/franchise QB. Part of it is player's/agent's taking advantage of those aspects as well as rising salaries and asking for the moon.

That said, keep in mind that before Jerry franchise tagged Dak in 2020, and keep in mind that Dak and his agency declined a reported contract offer of 5 years/$175M, here is what Dak's 'average' season was based on the previous 4 years (2016-2019; 64 games played):

341 completions
518 attempts
65.8% Comp %
3,945 yards
11.57 ypc
24 td's
9 int's

On a per game basis, that breaks down to the following per game average performance: 21 completions 32 attempts 65.6% comp % 247 yards 11.76 ypc 1.5 td's .6 int's

Given Dak's injuries from 2020-2022, season stats can't be fully computed so based on a per game average basis, here is Dak's stats since being franchise tagged in 2020 (23 games played):

26 completions 38 attempts 68.4% comp % 289 yards 11.12 ypc 2 td's .7 int's

While many will disagree, those are in fact average stats for a QB but because of the above listed reasons (and of course there are more than what is listed) Dak was paid what he was paid. That is my opinion as to whether Dak was worth the franchise tag and was he worth the contract offer but the fact is he turned down a 5-year $175M contract offer ($35M/year average) prior to 2020 and instead ultimately ended up with 5 years (franchise tag and then new 4-year deal) $191.4M ($38M/year average), a difference of $16.4M total or $3M/year.
You can’t skew in the Franchise Tag with 4 year contract and then use average as comparison. They are separate factors.

And it appears you are saying Daks stats before signing his contract supports he was worth the contract. And why Jethro thought he was Elite.

Did you think he’s an Elite QB that has become a Dud after signing contract?

Personally I never bought in he was Elite and once he turned down the 35 million , I might have Franchise Tagged him only to give me more time to draft or find a replacement.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yep

And if ownership , front office or coaching staff misevaluated the QB’s ability then it can be very costly with so much committed towards the Cap.

We had other choices. We didn’t have to be held hostage by Daks demands.
Not sure what other choices we had,?
I would have given dak the transition tag and let the NFL set his market.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No one player is soley responsible, but when you're getting the biggest chuck of the pie and you're nowhere near the best player on the team then it comes with the territory.

Be great when it means something and shut those fans that don't believe in you up, or heck, give those fans a reason to believe in you.
How often are these overpaid Non-Elite Franchise QB’s the best player on the team?

Sounds like fans just looking for a scapegoat to blame or give too much credit too.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not sure what other choices we had,?
I would have given dak the transition tag and let the NFL set his market.
We had choices to sign another QB or draft and develop one. The Franchise Tag would have given us one or years.

Anything is better than over paying a Non Elite QB who can’t win playoff games.

JayFord

Reaction score
All QB's whove been shown to put up great numbers and can win between 8-12 going to be labeled a franchise QB

Jay Culter was given a boatload of money
Matt Stafford in detroit was as well despite never winning a playoff game and being something like 0-30 against winning teams
Kirk Cousins gets to the playoffs like once every 2 years

its just the way the NFL is with the QB position

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All QB's whove been shown to put up great numbers and can win between 8-12 going to be labeled a franchise QB

Jay Culter was given a boatload of money
Matt Stafford in detroit was as well despite never winning a playoff game and being something like 0-30 against winning teams
Kirk Cousins gets to the playoffs like once every 2 years

its just the way the NFL is with the QB position
Why are Franchises willing to over pay Non Elite Qb’s who strain the ability to build a greater team around them?