Video: Is Dak Prescott A Top QB In NFL

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
His scouting profiles says the same thing, meaning it is who he is. There isn’t “something that happened and I don’t get it”. It happens year in and year out. People are having a hard time accepting he is, who he is.

Maybe you’re right.

It is hard to watch him throw for 450 and 3 TDs one game— and then put up 0 pts for 3 qtrs in the next

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Dak is top 10 playing against bad teams.

He drops to middle of the pack or less when he has to play good teams or contenders. He holds the ball too long because he's afraid to make a mistake in smaller but open windows (due to his accuracy issues) and he has problems with his mechanics and reading zone defenses.

Well, on that note, who passes him in the list when they're playing good teams? Does Goff catapult up when playing good teams? Does Cousins? Does Mayfield? Even if hes not the same playing tough defenses, he's still probably top 10 against them too.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
No
He is a good qb with the right play caller that can hide his weaknesses. However, he isn’t a good qb with what Moore wants him to do or when skilled players aren’t making a difference.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
No
He is a good qb with the right play caller that can hide his weaknesses. However, he isn’t a good qb with what Moore wants him to do or when skilled players aren’t making a difference.
The playcaller has nothing to do with it. He can't read zones defense, no playcaller will change that.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Well, on that note, who passes him in the list when they're playing good teams? Does Goff catapult up when playing good teams? Does Cousins? Does Mayfield? Even if hes not the same playing tough defenses, he's still probably top 10 against them too.
It doesn't really matter to me where he ranks specifically. He just has to play better to get further in the playoffs. The accuracy issue that makes him hesitate to throw to a receiver unless he is more than NFL open (which is also a problem with zone defenses) is a serious one and the time to throw and these windows get smaller as the competition level rises. You need more of the Dak who threw a TD to Amari in the end zone when the Cowboys were down 13-0 to SF in the second quarter and not the one staring down a covered Amari Cooper while Shultz is running across the field open for three seconds.

Brax

Reaction score
I would not move on yet....he's good, not great.....but we are stuck with him...
That is the key and I believe that is why Zeke got the big $ contract (unfortunately that hasn't worked out so well). They have to have a high production run game to let Dak be successful along with top WR's. I also believe he would benefit from a top tier HC. Unfortunately, a good QB needs a very strong supporting cast along with a top D and a top D doesn't seem to fit Jerry's view of football and I believe he believes the O is #1. There's always next year a recuring theme in Dallas.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The stats argument needs to be divided in to .500+ teams and -.500 teams. One of them even mentioned the eye test v stats and then goes on to use stats to rank Prescott.

In a big must win game, who ya got?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter to me where he ranks specifically. He just has to play better to get further in the playoffs. The accuracy issue that makes him hesitate to throw to a receiver unless he is more than NFL open (which is also a problem with zone defenses) is a serious one and the time to throw and these windows get smaller as the competition level rises. You need more of the Dak who threw a TD to Amari in the end zone when the Cowboys were down 13-0 to SF in the second quarter and not the one staring down a covered Amari Cooper while Shultz is running across the field open for three seconds.

Maybe part of that is on the coaches. Instead of asking Dak to run an offense that needs Aaron Rodgers, run an offense that can work with Dak Prescott. I believe that's what they did his rookie year, and he looked great in just about every game he played, regardless of the competition. People will hound me for it, but if there's anything Jason Garrett gave the Cowboys, it was that his offenses made sense with the personnel he had.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

For those that what to move on what is your plan? Please be realistic and also keep in mind some prospects don’t pan out.

As usual the answer is more in the middle.

While Dak isn’t Elite which until his contract I don’t think many thought he was besides some homers. Paying someone market price doesn’t elevate their status , only their wages.

But if Dak is more in the middle tier like probably half of the league then he’s arguably enough to build around . But as usual with a less than Elite to average QB you need a top 10 caliber defense and strong running game for support if you want to be a serious contender.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The stats argument needs to be divided in to .500+ teams and -.500 teams. One of them even mentioned the eye test v stats and then goes on to use stats to rank Prescott.

In a big must win game, who ya got?

This is why I'm a big proponent of ESPN's QBR. It doesnt just look at 4-5 stats without context like passer rating, it considers the team you're playing, their defensive rating, the situation in the game, what he does with his feet, almost everything. It's not a perfect measurement by any means, but its way better than just looking at completion % and yards and saying "This means hes good!" Dak had the third best passer rating in the league this year. But...

2021 Regular Season, QBR:

1. Aaron Rodgers 68.9
2. Tom Brady 68.4
3. Justin Herbert 66.0
4. Matthew Stafford 63.5
5. Patrick Mahomes 62.7
6. Josh Allen 60.7
7. Kyler Murray 56.8
8. Ryan Tannehill 56.2
9. Dak Prescott 54.7
10. Joe Burrow 54.4

This is much closer to what we saw all season. Dak was top 5 against bad teams, he murdered the Eagles, murdered the Teamers, lit up the Giants. But because of his play against the better teams, he settled in down at 9th.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Maybe part of that is on the coaches. Instead of asking Dak to run an offense that needs Aaron Rodgers, run an offense that can work with Dak Prescott. I believe that's what they did his rookie year, and he looked great in just about every game he played, regardless of the competition. People will hound me for it, but if there's anything Jason Garrett gave the Cowboys, it was that his offenses made sense with the personnel he had.
Nothing has really changed since his Rookie year except for the perception perhaps.

This year we were11-0 when rushing for 100 yards or more. That has been a similar trend since his Rookie season. And why teams focus on shutting down our running game .It’s a blueprint for stifling our offense and putting pressure on Dak.

Our rushing offense was near the top of the league during our 6-1 run and why we were having so much success. Some teams are of course better suited to stop our running game .

And why it should be our focus in off season revamping our OL and stockpiling RB’s. This team loses its identity and strength when we can’t run the ball effectively.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is why I'm a big proponent of ESPN's QBR. It doesnt just look at 4-5 stats without context like passer rating, it considers the team you're playing, their defensive rating, the situation in the game, what he does with his feet, almost everything. It's not a perfect measurement by any means, but its way better than just looking at completion % and yards and saying "This means hes good!" Dak had the third best passer rating in the league this year. But...

2021 Regular Season, QBR:

1. Aaron Rodgers 68.9
2. Tom Brady 68.4
3. Justin Herbert 66.0
4. Matthew Stafford 63.5
5. Patrick Mahomes 62.7
6. Josh Allen 60.7
7. Kyler Murray 56.8
8. Ryan Tannehill 56.2
9. Dak Prescott 54.7
10. Joe Burrow 54.4

This is much closer to what we saw all season. Dak was top 5 against bad teams, he murdered the Eagles, murdered the Teamers, lit up the Giants. But because of his play against the better teams, he settled in down at 9th.
I think that’s a fair and accurate analysis.

I’m not sure I’d rank Dak that high but he’s definitely in the best of the rest category 10-15th. Which isn’t a bad place to be.

Most teams have a better record against losing teams . About half the league is compromised of losing teams . A 3rd place schedule and worst division in conference is more likely going to have more.

But the fact we roll on lesser teams is a good sign . It’s preventing us from being one of those bad or average teams .

NumOneQB

Reaction score
What is top? Top 10 yes. Good enough to win with, absolutely.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I think that’s a fair analysis. I’m
Not sure I’d rank Dak that high but he’s definitely in the best of the rest category 10-15th.

Miat teams have a better exodus against losing teams . About half the league is compromised of losing teams . A 3rd place schedule and worst division in conference is more likely going to have more.

But the fact we roll on lesser teams is a good sign . It’s preventing us from being one of those bad teams .

There are pros and cons to it as well. Like in the Garrett era, if you continue to roll the bad teams, but dont quite ascend beyond that, you'll continue to get draft picks in the 20-27 range. Now who are the best Dallas Cowboys first round picks over the last 20 years?

In my opinion:

1. Demarcus Ware, drafted 11th overall
2. Tyron Smith, drafted 9th overall
3. Looking like Micah Parsons, Drafted 12th overall

Now there's always a possibility than a Zach Martin is there at 19th, but can you go into a draft expecting that? The teams that succeed after drafting in this area year after year after year are the teams that are considered to have the best coaches in the world: Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid. You can get stuck in a weird talent vortex where you have good players, but those Aaron Donalds, those Fletcher Cox's, those Nick Bosas are eluding you. Players who are the difference between divisional round teams and super bowl teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The fact that some ppl still think he is Elite is ABSURD
DAK is mediocre.

He is a greats guy.
But just as la clapper... he simply does not have what it takes
Part of the perception problem is the messaging from our dysfunctional ownership, management and media.

And when they pay him a market contract which places him near the top . These are signs which mislead a sizable portion of our fanbase who don’t follow as closely as some of us who watch all of the games and are more objective not drinking the kool aide.

shabazz

Reaction score
Don’t think he’s a top…..playing more like a power bottom

all we need to do is make the defense top 3 and Dak and the offense will be just fine

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There are pros and cons to it as well. Like in the Garrett era, if you continue to roll the bad teams, but dont quite ascend beyond that, you'll continue to get draft picks in the 20-27 range. Now who are the best Dallas Cowboys first round picks over the last 20 years?

In my opinion:

1. Demarcus Ware, drafted 11th overall
2. Tyron Smith, drafted 9th overall
3. Looking like Micah Parsons, Drafted 12th overall

Now there's always a possibility than a Zach Martin is there at 19th, but can you go into a draft expecting that? The teams that succeed after drafting in this area year after year after year are the teams that are considered to have the best coaches in the world: Sean Payton, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid. You can get stuck in a weird talent vortex where you have good players, but those Aaron Donalds, those Fletcher Cox's, those Nick Bosas are eluding you. Players who are the difference between divisional round teams and super bowl teams.
And that suits this ownership just fine as he’s said remaining “ interesting and relative “ is the main goal.

Jethro can sell the hell out of 8-8. And there’s no guarantee you can recover from the 5-11’s.