Is Dak the best Cowboys draft pick in the last 20 years?

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Best pick? I'm not sure. He's in the conversation with guys like Tyron, Fred, Martin, Zeke. He is a QB so that certainly elevates his value tremendously.
He's absolutely the biggest draft steal in the last 20 years though.
I would say that title goes to Tom Brady.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would say that title goes to Tom Brady.
Brady definitely would be up there in 6th round.

Roger Staubach in 10th round can’t be far behind. Both were about the 190th pick in the draft.

Bart Starr who was first QB to lead a team to 5 NFL titles was a 17th round pick .

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
NO! That honor would go to the wolf hunter. Dude is so reminiscent of the Cowboys first draft pick ever, Mr. Cowboy, Bob Lily. I say this because I know many of you aren't old enough to have ever seen Bob Lily play.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What are some others?

Currently, Dak is not even the best Cowboys pick in that draft. He might get there, but it would be hard to argue that he's been better than Elliott. It might be hard to even argue that he's better than Jaylon Smith. Jury's still out on that IMO. I think those type of things are determined when the dust settles not before players even reach a second contract.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Currently, Dak is not even the best Cowboys pick in that draft. He might get there, but it would be hard to argue that he's been better than Elliott. It might be hard to even argue that he's better than Jaylon Smith. Jury's still out on that IMO. I think those type of things are determined when the dust settles not before players even reach a second contract.

Elliot was the 4th pick in the draft. Dak in the 4th round. There is really no comparison when it comes to value, which is what this thread is about. Actually, Zeke is a poor value. Getting a pro bowl running back with the 4th pick is bad value.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Elliot was the 4th pick in the draft. Dak in the 4th round. There is really no comparison when it comes to value, which is what this thread is about. Actually, Zeke is a poor value. Getting a pro bowl running back with the 4th pick is bad value.

Then say "best draft value" instead of "best draft pick." Dak is not the best draft pick. He's been good value for a fourth-round pick (something along the lines of a Kirk Cousins right now with the potential of being more along the lines of a Russell Wilson). I'd say Witten for a third was the best value pick ... and a good case could be made for the future Hall of Famer being the best pick as well.

GMO415

Reaction score
I'll say this much, Rosen would be a good fit under JG. Both of them are cerebral.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Jason Witten for me - third round draft pick and future hall of fame inductee.

11 x Pro Bowl (when it actually carried value)
2 x First Team All Pro
2 x Second Team All Pro

I don't understand how anyone could rank Dak Prescott above him - plus the jury is still out on whether he is genuinely a franchise quarterback. I.e. there is more to being a franchise QB than durability and having wheels. Some people still do not appreciate the quality of offense around him.

Prescott has provided great value in the fourth round and is a far better back up than Cassel, Weeden or Sanchez.

Witten is definitely the best value. And he'd be in the argument for best pick along with Ware. Tyron Smith, Zack Martin and Ezekiel Elliott are worthy of being in the conversation, but we need to see them longer IMO. I don't think Lawrence is going to match up to Ware's standard, but he also might get into the conversation with a few more strong years. Who knows, before his career is over we might all consider Vander Esch the best pick (or even Jaylon Smith).

As far as Prescott goes, I'm going out on a limb to make a prediction that Mike White (5th round) will eventually prove to be the better QB value. I don't expect it to happen here, though, because we're going to invest in Prescott. I hope that Prescott ultimately proves to be the best value and best pick because that would be fabulous for our team and its future.

starfan1

Reaction score
You can't argue with that draft value, though. No pick spent on a 10-year starter.
Nope you cant argue the value but thread title is best draft pick in last 20 years. Now change the title of thread to best value of cowboys player in relation to being added to team then he tops the list. Not my favorite player but you cant argue his value to the organization.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Then say "best draft value" instead of "best draft pick." Dak is not the best draft pick. He's been good value for a fourth-round pick (something along the lines of a Kirk Cousins right now with the potential of being more along the lines of a Russell Wilson). I'd say Witten for a third was the best value pick ... and a good case could be made for the future Hall of Famer being the best pick as well.

I started the thread. The exercise was meant for the best value pick. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

For my money, give me the franchise QB, pro bowler with a 4th round pick over any TE, anywhere.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
As a Dak fan, my answer is....no.

Prescott may be the biggest steal; but best pick has to go to a guy like DeMarcus Ware, maybe even Zack Martin. Those guys are potential future Hall of Fame players (pretty sure Ware will get there after winning a SB with Denver).

EDIT: I see where you said best value pick now. In that case, Dak is on the list along with Jay Ratliff (7th round, 2005).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As a Dak fan, my answer is....no.

Prescott may be the biggest steal; but best pick has to go to a guy like DeMarcus Ware, maybe even Zack Martin. Those guys are potential future Hall of Fame players (pretty sure Ware will get there after winning a SB with Denver).

Its not the best player. Its the best value, or steal as you said.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He's the best QB the Cowboys have drafted in 29 years, so there's that.

Number1

Reaction score
What talent does Taco have? It really is a big mystery when people say this.

Lawrence had 8 sacks his 2nd season in a shortened season. HE showed definite talent. He was also great in college.

Taco did little and has showed little. Slow, no moves, gets mauled, no push, bad attitude, legs like a 16 year old girl, lazy, no motor. I see absolutely NOTHING in the guy that shows talent or drive. Nothing. One of the worse DE prospect I have EVER seen. If you want to talk about anyone then talk about Dorance Armstrong. HE shows some promise. Much more then the hapless Taco.

"One of the worse DE prospect I have EVER seen." you ain't seen much

worse, you're talking production in JJ world and Rod's experimental defense, that these clowns haven't played him while trying to fix Randy ... has nothing to do with talent