Is Dak unpopular because it is now a passing league?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s now a passing league, high flying league. It’s not “sexy” to run the ball. Smash mouth football is dying and the NFL set-up the game with new rules for Fantasy Footballers / Fan Duelers to make it exciting to throw for 500 yards a game and end up with a final score of 54-51.

The new generation of football fans don’t understand the advantage of a power run offense and controlling the clock. So, Dak isn’t popular because he’s not a gunslinger. It doesn’t matter if you win or lose, fans these days just want to see long bomb throws all day and don’t care if they go 0-16 while doing it.
:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh: :huh:

No, people just love to be ***** and moan if the Cowboys are not dominating all opponents.

Even if the team is winning, they'll find players to hate (Jeff Heath, etc..).

It's their (easy) way of injecting themselves into the game/team.

They don't feel self-important by just watching the games but complaining makes them feel like their opinion is important.

They complained about Romo for several years.

They complained during Aikman's first couple of years and fans even wanted Steve Walsh to replace him.

Fans hated Danny White with a passion.

During the bleak Quincy/Hutch years they took sides on which guy to hate.

Pants

Reaction score
he is the starting QB on America's Team and he is not an elite thrower...thus, as people get all jelly that we are not the chiefs or Rams on offense, the complaints will follow....imagine the team without Dak (if he was unable to play) and you had to see Rush or White in there? I think people would appreciate Dak more, but still complain the first time Rush completed a pass "see? Dak can't make that throw...."

bottom line for me: Dak isn't elite at throwing the ball, but he is also stuck in a system of horrible play-calling with these pathetic coaches....bring in someone (HC and/or OC) that wants to win instead of trying to NOT lose and then I think we get a fair assessment of Dak...it seems to me that when they go no-huddle and/or hurry-up, that Dak does very well....maybe because he is on his own and doesn't listen to lamehan and the clapper? when they are in that mode?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no tougher position to play in all sports than QB of the Dallas Cowboys. The amount of light shining is blinding and that even caused Dak to get out of character and cross from confident to cocky with that "best DC QB of all time" talk. That's not his style/ His Mom brought him up to be confident, not cocky.

Think about it. You get picked in the 4th round with 0 expectations and end up as the most talked about QB1 in the league and some completely ignore what made him the 7th QB picked and 3rd choice of his own team. He's talked about in all of the local media and goes from savior to bust in one season. No one, no one, can ignore all of that, it is inescapable. I am surprised he's kept his cool as well as he has because Romo didn't and he'd been in the league longer.

The thing about Dak is what can he be? He shows glimpses of potential greatness and mediocrity at the same time and the only consistent thing I can say about him is he's inconsistent and misses the throws that most QB1's can make. But then he'll nail one or make a great run or shed a tackle that would bring most QB's down and I think 'what could he be'?

The problem is everyone seems to have to decide whether to buy or sell Dak Prescott and it's just too early to tell. But one thing all of us can agree on. He's a hell of a lot better with a legit #1WR. Take Hayes from Meredith, Pearson from Staubach, Irvin from Aikman or Owens or Bryant from Romo and see how well they'd do. Takes two to tango and it looks like Dak is getting to dance.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Remember how quick we turned on Romo.

Cowboy fans can’t let go of the past

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It’s now a passing league, high flying league. It’s not “sexy” to run the ball. Smash mouth football is dying and the NFL set-up the game with new rules for Fantasy Footballers / Fan Duelers to make it exciting to throw for 500 yards a game and end up with a final score of 54-51.

The new generation of football fans don’t understand the advantage of a power run offense and controlling the clock. So, Dak isn’t popular because he’s not a gunslinger. It doesn’t matter if you win or lose, fans these days just want to see long bomb throws all day and don’t care if they go 0-16 while doing it.
:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh: :huh:
all of the above is GARBAGE. The rules we currently have were not passed for faantasy football. They were passed to protect the nfl from lawsuits and save QBs that have 100 million dollar contracts from injury. Fans understand plenty, and what we understand is that if you can not throw the ball, you arent winning. We are SIX and FIVE,not 9-2. Every fan on this forum would be happay as hell with a 9-2 record no matter what Dak does. BUT, the reality is that all of us know we have ZERO chance of beating a team that slings it all over he field like the Rams and Saints. Control the clock.....lol, cool, as the rams and Saints walk down the field in 2 minutes and score a TD.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dak isn't popular because he has regressed up until the past few games, has issues with phantom pressure, and makes some bad decisions with the football.

That being said, he's still learning and we'll see if he can get better.
How long does the "Still learning tag," get to ply out. This is his 3rd season as a full time starter. Im serious, at one point do you say he is NOT "Still learning?"

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Just watch. If Dak leads the team to a victory against the Saints next Thursday night, more excuses will come out against him.
He's a tremendous young man. A great guy to have on any team. Could never dislike him, but really hope he can become a better passer.
Unfortunately for me, I only care about one thing, and it has nothing to do with his character.

Dodger12

Reaction score
The problem is everyone seems to have to decide whether to buy or sell Dak Prescott and it's just too early to tell. But one thing all of us can agree on. He's a hell of a lot better with a legit #1WR. Take Hayes from Meredith, Pearson from Staubach, Irvin from Aikman or Owens or Bryant from Romo and see how well they'd do. Takes two to tango and it looks like Dak is getting to dance.

Good post Coach but the talent of the QB's you mentioned made those WR's better. Pearson was an UFA. Irvin was a true #1 who's route running and style matched Aikman's skills set perfectly. But Harper benefited from Aikman and became a millionaire bust for TB. Miles Austin was a #1 in this offense and he Laurent Robinson (and even Witten) became millionaires because the QB made them better. Jay Novacek was a Plan B free agent that thrived under Aikman.

Cooper is the best WR we've had since Bryant in his prime and Cooper is even better, IMO. But we can't have All Pro's at every position so our QB can be successful. He's too inconsistent and while we can ride this train as far as it takes us, we should be looking to upgrade the position or at least draft or sign someone to compete against him. He's taking way too many sacks because he doesn't see the field and runs the risk of injury with his style of play.

We shouldn't have to settle at the most important position on the field and excuse away all his obvious flaws. It's either the OL, coaching/play calling, WR rout running, etc. It's always an excuse.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Good post Coach but the talent of the QB's you mentioned made those WR's better. Pearson was an UFA. Irvin was a true #1 who's route running and style matched Aikman's skills set perfectly. But Harper benefited from Aikman and became a millionaire bust for TB. Miles Austin was a #1 in this offense and he Laurent Robinson (and even Witten) became millionaires because the QB made them better. Jay Novacek was a Plan B free agent that thrived under Aikman.

Cooper is the best WR we've had since Bryant in his prime and Cooper is even better, IMO. But we can't have All Pro's at every position so our QB can be successful. He's too inconsistent and while we can ride this train as far as it takes us, we should be looking to upgrade the position or at least draft or sign someone to compete against him. He's taking way too many sacks because he doesn't see the field and runs the risk of injury with his style of play.

We shouldn't have to settle at the most important position on the field and excuse away all his obvious flaws. It's either the OL, coaching/play calling, WR rout running, etc. It's always an excuse.
:clap:

TheHerd

Reaction score
I don't think Dak is unpopular. There are just a lot of people who wish he had John Elway's arm, Troy Aikman's accuracy, Tom Brady's field vision, Tony Romo's escapabilty, and Michael Vick's speed.

dfense

Reaction score
The two throws that Dak missed yesterday for TDs will be the difference between a win and a loss to those "high flying" teams. It's not about popularity, it's about arm talent.
He missed some sure easy TD's against the Skins. His throw to Gallup was a TD all day and he underthrew it by 5 yards.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me, I only care about one thing, and it has nothing to do with his character.
At the end of the day you are 100% correct. I certainly find myself critical of Dak and it has nothing to do with hating on the dude. Just wanted to express that a fan can like a player and still have expectations.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
No, people just love to be ***** and moan if the Cowboys are not dominating all opponents.

Even if the team is winning, they'll find players to hate (Jeff Heath, etc..).

It's their (easy) way of injecting themselves into the game/team.

They don't feel self-important by just watching the games but complaining makes them feel like their opinion is important.

They complained about Romo for several years.

They complained during Aikman's first couple of years and fans even wanted Steve Walsh to replace him.

Fans hated Danny White with a passion.

During the bleak Quincy/Hutch years they took sides on which guy to hate.
Kind of like Dez and Doug Free

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kind of like Dez and Doug Free

If there was a rule that everyone had to spend more time studying game footage than I do before they could complain, it would be extremely quiet here...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
he is the starting QB on America's Team and he is not an elite thrower...thus, as people get all jelly that we are not the chiefs or Rams on offense, the complaints will follow....imagine the team without Dak (if he was unable to play) and you had to see Rush or White in there? I think people would appreciate Dak more, but still complain the first time Rush completed a pass "see? Dak can't make that throw...."

bottom line for me: Dak isn't elite at throwing the ball, but he is also stuck in a system of horrible play-calling with these pathetic coaches....bring in someone (HC and/or OC) that wants to win instead of trying to NOT lose and then I think we get a fair assessment of Dak...it seems to me that when they go no-huddle and/or hurry-up, that Dak does very well....maybe because he is on his own and doesn't listen to lamehan and the clapper? when they are in that mode?

I actually do want to see White, but only if we are eliminated from the playoff picture. White has a very live arm and throws some pinpoint darts into tight coverage from what we saw in the preseason as he settled in, so I'd like to give him a few starts to find out what he could do.

I want Dallas to do this because I want the best QB to play for the team, whoever that may be. I don't believe Rush has the arm strength to make a great pro but is more of a Jason Garrett-type backup. White has the arm strength, so the question with him would be the other aspects of the game, such as reading defenses, which Dak seems to sometimes struggle with.

If we can't make the playoffs in the watered-down East this year, then we need to consider all of our options, including if we can get better play from the QB position. Of course, we probably won't be eliminated until the last game if we don't win the East.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He is unpopular mostly because people want to have an elite QB. And he isn’t that.

I can’t blame them for wanting something better.

I think some of the criticism Dak receives is unfair. Where every single mistake or bad play is magnified like it doesn’t happen to other players.

But at the end of the day I can’t fault people for wanting a QB with a cannon arm who can throw the ball over the yard. Dak isn’t that guy.

The enigma aspect of Dak is that he has all the intangibles. If he was exactly the same as he is now, but with Jeff George’s arm. He would be incredibly popular. But that will never happen.